SAT results (1 Viewer)

katastrophe

HSC
I've just gotten back my results from the October SATs. I'm just curious as to how they compare to any other Australian test-takers out there. Has anyone else on the forums taken any SATs (both Reasoning and Subject Tests)? If so, care to share your results?

Thanks! And if you did do them, I hope you did as well as you wanted to in them.

tku336

HSC
Would your ATAR be far more important than your SAT? On one hand its a much more accurate percentile and far better judge of ability and application than SAT or subjects. But on the other hand, the SATs can be standardised across regions ...

katastrophe

HSC
wow. ...wow. you are some sort of amazing. what is your secret? how did you go specifically on the writing?

my own results were
CR 760
W 750 [raw scores of 78/80 and 8/12]
M 800

Maths II 800
Physics 800
French 780

which unis are you planning to apply to? have you applied to any yet [in part or completely]?

my family is pushing me to apply for harvard, yale and princeton. honestly, i'm hoping they won't accept me -- i really want to stay in australia for my undergraduate.

an ATAR of 95 still sounds quite acceptable - the websites i've read up [regarding only the schools above] only show that the majority of accepted students are in the top decile [tenth]. still, they do accept a decent number from the top quartile too.

they would probably regard the SAT and the ATAR on an equal par ... although i guess it does depend on their opinion of our education system!

basically what i've heard is that since they consider so many students of such a high standard, they look for students who are able to bring something unique to the university. i think i read on one of the brochures [princeton?] that they'll look for a very well-rounded person, or a person who is highly talented in a particular area such as academics, or sports, or cultural life.

i hope all goes well for you =)

artist91

HSC
Nice scores guys!! IAU that is crazy! Anything over 2300 is considered amazing with that score you could easily get into Harvard if your ECs are good.
I got... SAT I (breakdown): CR 800, M 670, W 780 (2250)
SAT II: Lit 800, US History 780, Math II 710
And SATs are WAAAAY more important than ATAR. Most places will give your ATAR a glance but they are more interested in your SAT and grades.

artist91

HSC
I was actually told at my yale alum interview that uai isn't used as much as your grades, sat and ecs.

He also said because I was an American citizen there wouldn't be much emphasis put on my uai.

And I know a guy at Yale who only got a 92.50. So you are mistaken.

US unis will have a look at your UAI to see how you performed in your HSC but they are seriously more interested in how well-rounded a person you are. Most of the places I applied to asked for my reports from 9th grade as they were interested in how I performed in my subjects across a long peroid of time, not one exam at the end of high school. If you have a 99.95 UAI but no significant sporting, leadership or citizenship achievements your chances are not good.

artist91

HSC
Haha okay then :)

Nope I'm not a transfer. I did year 12 in QLD so I was 17 when I finished. I wanted to wait a year before I applied as a freshman so I wouldn't be a year younger than everyone else in my class.

Where have you applied to Wendybird?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
does anybody know what an SAT score of 2300 converts to (in ATAR/UAI format)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah but say if a person's standards means they consider an ATAR of 95 or higher to be good

then, by these same standards, what SAT score and above would they consider to be good?

LM2009

HSC
does anybody know what an SAT score of 2300 converts to (in ATAR/UAI format)
An SAT score of 2300 should translate into a UAI (technically called a UAC rank) of 99+. Some places like USyd, however, won't evaluate SAT results unless accompanied by AP Subject scores. And a high school diploma, obviously.

zxreth

HSC
hey guys,

i'm currently in year 11 this year.

i want to go to America for university, and i was wondering how i'm able to do that.

do i have to take any extra exams , and in general what would i need to do to get in? also if i have to do the SAT tests when do i have to apply for them? (i.e. how long before the actual tests?)

i was hoping u guys will be able to give me good advice as you have done/researched everything needed.

Thanks

Last edited:

lorettaallen

HSC
wow. ...wow. you are some sort of amazing. what is your secret? how did you go specifically on the writing?

my own results were
CR 760
W 750 [raw scores of 78/80 and 8/12]
M 800

Maths II 800
Physics 800
French 780

which unis are you planning to apply to? have you applied to any yet [in part or completely]?

my family is pushing me to apply for harvard, yale and princeton. honestly, i'm hoping they won't accept me -- i really want to stay in australia for my undergraduate.

an ATAR of 95 still sounds quite acceptable - the websites i've read up [regarding only the schools above] only show that the majority of accepted students are in the top decile [tenth]. still, they do accept a decent number from the top quartile too.

they would probably regard the SAT and the ATAR on an equal par ... although i guess it does depend on their opinion of our education system!

basically what i've heard is that since they consider so many students of such a high standard, they look for students who are able to bring something unique to the university. i think i read on one of the brochures [princeton?] that they'll look for a very well-rounded person, or a person who is highly talented in a particular area such as academics, or sports, or cultural life.

i hope all goes well for you =)
I took my ACT and SAT in January and I received a 22 and a 1030. I'm aiming for a 30 on my ACT to be able to get an appointment to the academy. As of my grades, my gpa is a 3.33 and I have mostly a's and b's. I am also taking an AP class this year and multiple honors classes. I am also taking two AP classes next year. What are my chances with this low of scores? Thank you for your replies!

Sir Jigger II

HSC
I took my ACT and SAT in January and I received a 22 and a 1030. I'm aiming for a 30 on my ACT to be able to get an appointment to the academy. As of my grades, my gpa is a 3.33 and I have mostly a's and b's. I am also taking an AP class this year and multiple honors classes. I am also taking two AP classes next year. What are my chances with this low of scores? Thank you for your replies!
Can you do AP classes in Australia?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)