Finding funding to study in Germany AND/OR Netherlands - help!? (1 Viewer)

Logan Driver

HSC
G'day BOS'ers

By way of introduction, I am a local penultimate year combined law student here in Sydney.

I really need your advice, opinions and guidance on a matter I'm facing.

I've found out from Netherlands(University of Leiden) that I got into their summer program to study International Criminal Law. If I choose to take it up, it is very costly. Will cost me around $3000(AUD) plus accommodation, insurance, living costs and travel.

I've also found out from Germany(Bucerius University) that I got into their summer program to study International Business Law. It I choose to take it up, it is also very costly. Will cost me around $3000(AUD) plus accommodation, insurance, living costs and travel.

The good thing is that both summer schools happen at different times. In an ideal world, if I could afford one or both programs, I'd do them both.

This is where the bad news comes in - I can't afford the programs. So expensive. And this is coming from someone who has TWO jobs..boo!

Anyway I was wondering if you guys would be able to clue me in on organisations or associations or schemes that grant scholarships and or funding to Australian undergraduate students to study short courses in Europe/overseas - particularly Germany and the Netherlands?

I've tried the German Academic Exchange Service(DAAD) as I studied on a short scholarship last December, but they don't have a funding scheme for what I want to do in Germany next year.

And with Netherlands, same thing. I missed the deadline(1st Dec) to apply for a fellowship scholarship thing for short courses(because they took forever to get back to my enquiries..long story).

Now I'm stuck. I've gotten accepted into two competitive programs(hard to get in), but can't afford to attend them. Life sucks, but I want to make life less sucky..

I would be grateful if you can provide me tips/advice on where to get scholarships/funding for these opportunities...

I've thought about approaching my Law and Arts faculties early next semester for sure..but other than that I don't have any ideas...

Thanks in advance :)

Logan

X

xeuyrawp

I'd be surprised if many people here will be able to help you. I briefly looked at going to Leiden - I would only have applied to their internal funding, though, as I didn't have time to look for anything else.

You mentioned that you looked into the DAAD - sorry to hear you're past the deadline.

My main piece of advice is to just keep looking around. Also don't be afraid to apply to places if the time required to make an application doesn't outweigh the probable outcome. Eg one of my friends got funding from an unlikely source simply because she was like 'Meh, why not' and applied. Turns out they had few applicants and all but her were shit.

My only concrete suggestions are to look into Commonwealth Scholarships (I'm not sure if they help with studying abroad for a home degree, though) and to chase up whether your home university can help you. Also, will you be eligible for OS-HELP? Maybe your international office could be able to help you.

Good luck!

merillem

HSC
Well done on getting accepted - summer schools overseas are great. The cost looks reasonable to me and is certainly a worthwhile investment.

You might be eligible for OS-HELP:
http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/StudyOverseas/OSHELP.htm

What university do you go to?

Sometime specific faculties at some universities sometimes have funding available - I'm always surprised at what little pots of money universities have around, particularly at this time of year when departments are looking to spend out their budgets. Depending on your uni your international office might have a travel grant scheme: in Sydney, Macquarie and UTS have pretty generous schemes, Sydney, UWS and UNSW not so good.

Logan Driver

HSC
Thank you PwarYuex and Merillem!

I really appreciate your insight and guidance on this.

So Leiden have some internal funding schemes in place? Maybe I can look up their website..and try to contact them?

With DAAD, they don't have a scheme in place to fund this sadly. As for NUFFIC(the Dutch version of DAAD), they were so mega slow to get back to me about anything that even though I tried making an application by the deadline, it all ended up in flames, because they had problems with their website etc and didn't even list the option of short courses like they were supposed to :sadface:

I am thinking of approaching a variety of organisations such as RSL's, my Law and Arts faculties, plus maybe Australian-German/Australian-Dutch societies? I will look into Commonwealth Scholarships - do you have a weblink for them mate?

I am eligible for OS Help, but would like to avoid having a debt in excess of my HECS/HELP loan...but then again...who knows..

I mean - I CAN save up for the opportunities - well, one anyway. This year, I worked my arse off in a retail department store and took myself to New York to do an unpaid internship(at the Australian Consulate General), but the process was so costly. Lost sleep, spent heaps of money etc, had to work like a slave to get to that point. It was still worth it ofcourse, I got heaps more interviews and landed a legal job after I came back...but would like to make this a backup option. Wanting to see if any organisations can help first.

Again, thanks very much you two, most appreciated!

Logan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)