Getting into Cambridge from the humble HSC (1 Viewer)

dionb2014

HSC
Hey Everyone -
just wondering if a person with above average intelligence that learns well could get

extension 2 math - 80
extension 1 math - 92
chemistry - 92
economics - 92
English advanced - 92
studies of religion - <30

if they were to study flat out for year 10, 11 and 12

thanks for you advice forum

PS, Apparently Cambridge and oxford will take you for an interview if you get over 98.5 in hsc.

dionb2014

HSC
This question sounds really naive because you don't know how smart I am. Just consider someone who studies hard and gets results but is not necessarily of extreme natural intellect

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Even if you get the interview, you have to realise that spots are incredibly limited. It's possible, but extremely difficult. Definitely keep the idea in your head, but don't count on it as your soul option.

dionb2014

HSC
dude i'm only in year 9. I think I do reasonably well but I'm just trying to establish the possibility of getting those results

Gigacube

HSC
You just can't rely on near perfect marks to get you into Cambridge or Oxford. You also need extra curricular activities as well as involvement in school activities throughout high school.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
As for getting into cambridge, give it a shot, but also have a backup if you dont get in, like unsw or somehting, and maybe apply for post grad or somehting

Last edited by a moderator:

dionb2014

HSC
Oh my god, this question i posted is not asking how to get into Cambridge. I am fully aware of how hard it is and other aspects necessary for a successful application. I am purely asking if attaining those results (1 component of the application) would be possible for someone that is reasonably smart and studies really hard

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Oh my god, this question i posted is not asking how to get into Cambridge. I am fully aware of how hard it is and other aspects necessary for a successful application. I am purely asking if attaining those results (1 component of the application) would be possible for someone that is reasonably smart and studies really hard
Yes, those marks are possible.

dionb2014

HSC
Thanks iRuler, Yeah of course. I want to go somewhere in England so maybe imperial college or LSE

Gigacube

HSC
Oh my God it's not going to kill you if I mention something related to what you posted.

It depends, are those results internal marks, raw HSC marks or final marks?

dionb2014

HSC
Btw my school makes you do 1 unit of studies of religion so I just assumed that i won't get any score worth mentioning in that

dionb2014

HSC
Oh yeah and I'm accelerated in math so I'm going into year 10 but I'm doing year 11 math. And I dominate at chemistry

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks iRuler, Yeah of course. I want to go somewhere in England so maybe imperial college or LSE
Interesting options, both. I'd love to go to LSE, maybe for masters, just maybe... but I hope I'll get to go to LBS for MBA, if not there's always AGSM :)

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Economics, will major in Economics in my current degree, then masters hopefully at unsw/lse then mba at either agsm or lbs

dionb2014

HSC
Okay, I want to work for an investment bank as maybe a trader or investment banker. I thought those posters from earlier were going to go off when I said i dominate at chemistry

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Sadly, yes ;D. Anyways don't worry, you seem to have the stereotypical stuck-up attitude typical of Oxbridge/Ivy league uni's. You shall surely succeed in life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)