Applying for MIT (1 Viewer)

totemboy

HSC
Just wondering, is there anyone on here who has been through the MIT application process here? Regardless of whether you got in or not. I've already done the SATIIs and I did the ACTs for kicks, and I'm going to do the SATs after the HSC. Any advice you can give me? I know there are VERY few students from Australia accepted. Also, have any Australian students been successful in using ACT/SAT marks to get into an Australian Uni?

furansugo

HSC
Ummm I didn't apply for MIT, but I did apply to a handful of other top 5 colleges in the US. Feel free to message me - a lot of my friends here got into MIT and turned it down, so I can ask them for help.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Ummm I didn't apply for MIT, but I did apply to a handful of other top 5 colleges in the US. Feel free to message me - a lot of my friends here got into MIT and turned it down, so I can ask them for help.
Why would they turn MIT down?

furansugo

HSC
Oh, when I say my friends here, I mean my friends at Yale. Yale is far, far stronger than MIT for almost everything that isn't science or engineering, and at an undergraduate level, the opportunities for students in the sciences are probably similar to what one would receive at MIT. It doesn't have the same culture as MIT, but that's another plus for many. Plus, in terms of general prestige in the US (especially for banking and consulting work), Harvard and Yale reign supreme.

totemboy

HSC
Well, thats fair enough then, since I do want to do an engineering/science related field. I've got other reasons for applying to MIT specifically too though. I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I couldn't care less how prestigious Harvard and Yale are, my decisions are based solely on the relevant resources and experiences that will be available to me there.

cheezcake

Callipygian Member
HSC
MIT is 109127390127893719027x more prestigious for science and engineering than harvard and yale, UNSW was ranked one behind Harvard for engineering in the world uni rankings thing like two years ago.

totemboy

HSC
Doesn't Harvard only have the one engineering major for undergraduates? :S

furansugo

HSC
I'm pretty sure not. You have to declare your general area at the end of your freshman year, and then I think you pick something more specific. I was looking intently at the combined chemistry/physics concentration when I was choosing colleges, so I don't know too much about the engineering side of things, but I presume you could have something more specific.

iwjwamo

HSC
what marks and extra cirriculars would you need to be accepted for a transfer from UNSW to MIT? would it have to be a high distinction average?

baalish

HSC
does anybody know about how to apply for universities in the UK? as in the process etc.?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
why does everyone talk like getting into MIT, harvard and yale is like getting into unsw and usyd, are you people delusional or something?

goobi

HSC
why does everyone talk like getting into MIT, harvard and yale is like getting into unsw and usyd, are you people delusional or something?
I'm sorry but I've proved you wrong. I'm currently studying at UNSW and last week I was also accepted into a few American colleges, two of which were mentioned in your post. I used to think that I was "delusional" when I applied - there would be no way my parents could afford to pay 40k/year for college (though I did apply for financial aid) and the stats in my app were actually poorer than those of most international applicants. I did know my chance was tiny, but somewhere deep down I actually let myself hope (which meant being delusional, according to you).

That said, I don't care if my acceptances were an early April Fools' joke or just a mistake made by the admission officers; I've realised that I shouldn't have thought I was delusional because, as one of my admission officers told me, I deserved it.

A799

HSC
I'm sorry but I've proved you wrong. I'm currently studying at UNSW and last week I was also accepted into a few American colleges, two of which were mentioned in your post. I used to think that I was "delusional" when I applied - there would be no way my parents could afford to pay 40k/year for college (though I did apply for financial aid) and the stats in my app were actually poorer than those of most international applicants. I did know my chance was tiny, but somewhere deep down I actually let myself hope (which meant being delusional, according to you).

That said, I don't care if my acceptances were an early April Fools' joke or just a mistake made by the admission officers; I've realised that I shouldn't have thought I was delusional because, as one of my admission officers told me, I deserved it.
Hey, what ATAR and extracurricular activities did you have down?
I'm considering going overseas for uni too, but hoping to get an outline of the minimum requirements to base around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)