Transfer to Harvard Med? (1 Viewer)

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I doubt it. Here is confirmation.

Harvard Med - Transfer Students

Transfers are not possible. Admission with advanced standing is limited to a few students each year who are completing the Medical Engineering and Medical Physics program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology or are in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery program sponsored by the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I doubt it. Here is confirmation.

Harvard Med - Transfer Students

Transfers are not possible. Admission with advanced standing is limited to a few students each year who are completing the Medical Engineering and Medical Physics program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology or are in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery program sponsored by the Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, and the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
thanks omni, what about MIT? how to transfer there?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
MIT is insanely good dude, I don't even know if they have a relationship with any Australian universities because it would probably not even benefit them.

You could email them, perhaps?

hayabusaboston

HSC
MIT is insanely good dude, I don't even know if they have a relationship with any Australian universities because it would probably not even benefit them.

You could email them, perhaps?
Email, yea good idea. WOw you're friendly all of a sudden haha. Thanks :D

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
According to Harvard medical school

[I]I am a foreign student. Will that affect my chances of getting in to HMS?
Foreign students who have studied for at least one year at an accredited institution in the United States or Canada, and have completed the requirements, are eligible to apply at HMS. International applicants should make every effort to take the majority of required courses at an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. Foreign students who do not have a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an institution in the U.S. or Canada are rarely offered admission.[/I]

Thats something to keep in mind.

hayabusaboston

HSC
According to Harvard medical school

[I]I am a foreign student. Will that affect my chances of getting in to HMS?
Foreign students who have studied for at least one year at an accredited institution in the United States or Canada, and have completed the requirements, are eligible to apply at HMS. International applicants should make every effort to take the majority of required courses at an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada. Foreign students who do not have a baccalaureate or advanced degree from an institution in the U.S. or Canada are rarely offered admission.[/I]

Thats something to keep in mind.
yep, I plan to do an advanced degree/s at MIT, so going to go there first. Then do the "Medical Physics" course Omni said.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
your in year 12 this year correct?
If so I would recommend you undertake a substantial amount of community service and play a few sports yet not compromising your academic results. The reason I say this, is that everyone who applies to MIT has an ATAR equivalent of 99.50+, hence the purpose of the community service and sport is to differentiate "the boys from the men". Regardless, Best of luck

Last edited:

hayabusaboston

HSC
your in year 12 this year correct?
If so I would recommend you undertake a substantial amount of community service and play a few sports yet not compromising your academic results. The reason I say this, is that everyone who applies to MIT has an ATAR equivalent of 99.50+, hence the purpose of the community service and sport is to differentiate "the boys from the men". Regardless, Best of luck
Nope, year 11 actually hehe :) I did many many hours of community service in high school, but for year 11 and 12 Id rather not. But if it benefits me I shall see if I can fit it in. For sports I will probably do something with swimming. What about languages? They differentiate boys from men right? I can communicate in over 5 languages, that should be good right?

Just spent the last 40 mins filling out SAT college profile haha.

Pfortune35

HSC
harvard med is pretty fucking expensive (like 200k for a degree) if you really want to, not just cause it has a 'reputation' that
u have absorbed by watching AMerican tv shows. Imo going to harvard med wont make you a better doctor, you'd get the same education at Usyd or ANu.
But thats just me.

SO if you want to go to harvard med u'll need an undergrad from somewhere in america (MIt was mentioned, but there are heaps of good ones, CAl-tech, virgina tech, boston Uni (if you dont wana change cities) and about a billion more and dont be afraid of state uni's)

Or if you wanted to do a speciallty that was beyond (an addition to a medicine degree, eg medical physics was mentioned)
You would need an MBBS or MD probably from america (and I think in the usa all MD's are postgrad)

SO your looking at between 7-12 years atleast at uni. Mostly because of presitige factor.

I hope ive been helpful in this post, but its obvious what i think. Save your time and money

Pfortune35

HSC
yeh if you can try to do the Sat's this year so you dont have to worry about them when your in yr 12.

Oh and so you know, England is also an option.
YOu could go for a rhode scholarship. ALmost as impossilbe to get into as harvard med but more accessable.

You only need an 1 undergrad degree from an australia university (sydney would suffice), get very good marks.
have a good reputation at uni, be in alot of clubs, play sport at a resonable level.

And if you actually got it, youd be going to one of the best unis in the world, FOR FREE and youd get a living allowance and all that shit.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
harvard med is pretty fucking expensive (like 200k for a degree) if you really want to, not just cause it has a 'reputation' that
u have absorbed by watching AMerican tv shows. Imo going to harvard med wont make you a better doctor, you'd get the same education at Usyd or ANu.
But thats just me.

SO if you want to go to harvard med u'll need an undergrad from somewhere in america (MIt was mentioned, but there are heaps of good ones, CAl-tech, virgina tech, boston Uni (if you dont wana change cities) and about a billion more and dont be afraid of state uni's)

Or if you wanted to do a speciallty that was beyond (an addition to a medicine degree, eg medical physics was mentioned)
You would need an MBBS or MD probably from america (and I think in the usa all MD's are postgrad)

SO your looking at between 7-12 years atleast at uni. Mostly because of presitige factor.

I hope ive been helpful in this post, but its obvious what i think. Save your time and money
very valid point, but OP seems to be very dedicated to getting to Harvard. In my opinion follow your dreams and dont let anyone else pull you down. Personally i hope to do a PhD at Oxbridge in renewable energy which isnt as hard to get into as you would think. :)

When your talki

hayabusaboston

HSC
yeh if you can try to do the Sat's this year so you dont have to worry about them when your in yr 12.

Oh and so you know, England is also an option.
YOu could go for a rhode scholarship. ALmost as impossilbe to get into as harvard med but more accessable.

You only need an 1 undergrad degree from an australia university (sydney would suffice), get very good marks.
have a good reputation at uni, be in alot of clubs, play sport at a resonable level.

And if you actually got it, youd be going to one of the best unis in the world, FOR FREE and youd get a living allowance and all that shit.
HOLY F*CKING SHIT REALLY I CAN DO SAT THIS YEAR (11)???? OMG OMG THANKS MAN IM SOOO GONNA DO THAT!!!!!!!!!

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
But thats just me.

When your talking about harvard and oxbridge, prestige becomes extremely important. Saying you have a PhD from oxford or an MBBS from harvard is in my opinion gets you the job as long as your not a dick at the interview. Plus a PhD from oxbridge propels you to the top of the academic world

Pfortune35

HSC
mnmaa;5696501 Personally i hope to do a PhD at Oxbridge in renewable energy which isnt as hard to get into as you would think. :) When your talki[/QUOTE said:
Oxbridge- oxford/cambridge

yeh man, If I wanted to do that, id try to get an undergrad at a smaller uk uni (exeter, newcastle) then try for postgrad at oxford/cambridge

hayabusaboston

HSC
When your talking about harvard and oxbridge, prestige becomes extremely important. Saying you have a PhD from oxford or an MBBS from harvard is in my opinion gets you the job as long as your not a dick at the interview. Plus a PhD from oxbridge propels you to the top of the academic world
Plus the chance of a NObel Prize

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)