Oxford-Cambridge PhD engineering (1 Viewer)

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Hi guys
I know it is far to early to start thinking about this, but I was wondering how difficult it is going to be to get into Oxbridge to do a PhD in engineering. I'm starting the Bachelor of Engineering(research and development) at the ANU this year, so I'm going to have to graduate with first class honours ( as it is a prerequisite for the degree due to it being an "elite degree"). Due to the nature of the degree I will have done plenty of research throughout the degree, attended conferences etc. which will place me in good stead for a PhD. Money wont be a problem since I have a private organisation which will pay for me, so what do you think my chances are... do i even have a chance at al?l :chainsaw2:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Why an Engineering PhD @ Oxford/Cambridge? Aren't MIT, University of California (Berkeley), Stanford and Caltech etc in the U.S. far superior for Engineering - since, presumably, you are seeking the very best.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
MIT surely have a better engineering department than Cambridge or Oxford. You will have a good chance provided your Honours is of a very high standard and can be published at least once before your PhD (that will look very good upon your application).

If you've got the funds, why not have a go.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
unfortunately there is no formal honours year thesis.The honours component is incorporated with in the 4 years.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
Why an Engineering PhD @ Oxford/Cambridge? Aren't MIT, University of California (Berkeley), Stanford and Caltech etc in the U.S. far superior for Engineering - since, presumably, you are seeking the very best.
the Cambridge engineering faculty is third in the world, plus it takes less time to do a PhD in the UK than the US as their is no course work.

X

xeuyrawp

No-one here is going to give you a realistic answer; have you looked elsewhere online and thestudentroom?

As far as I know, there are about five active bos users who are at top-tier universities in the world, and none of them do engineering. I mean if I were to answer your question, I would say that it's obviously competitive to get into Cambridge and there's nothing you can do other than try your best and research it.

I would never apply to US schools like Caltech and Stanford, but I hate the area of the world they're in the the types of people who work there. If you have any questions about Oxford, feel free to ask me, although I don't know if you'd want to apply for engineering here; you haven't even said what kind of engineering attracts you and it's obviously as diverse a field as the rest of science generally.

mnmaa

HSC
N/A
No-one here is going to give you a realistic answer; have you looked elsewhere online and thestudentroom?

As far as I know, there are about five active bos users who are at top-tier universities in the world, and none of them do engineering. I mean if I were to answer your question, I would say that it's obviously competitive to get into Cambridge and there's nothing you can do other than try your best and research it.

I would never apply to US schools like Caltech and Stanford, but I hate the area of the world they're in the the types of people who work there. If you have any questions about Oxford, feel free to ask me, although I don't know if you'd want to apply for engineering here; you haven't even said what kind of engineering attracts you and it's obviously as diverse a field as the rest of science generally.
thanks pwar. Im leaning to sustainable/renewable engineering as my specilisation purely because i think it has a future .

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Ask me questions any time and I'll be happy to try and asnwer them.

rina3

HSC
Hi,

I do my M.Eng now and interested to further phd in Cambridge. is it easy to apply?
what are the requirement?
how to apply? and how to find supervisor who active in research and looking for PhD student?

thank you.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Preferably a HD average or first class honours in your undergrad degree or the equivalent in your M.Eng. It would helpful if you have at least 1 publication in an international peer-review journal. I would suggest e-mailing supervisors who you want to work with for your PhD, and start looking for scholarships!

HSC
Survivor: uncovering the mysteries of nature, while having enough time to flaunt his PhD on a student forum.

A most illustrious member of society, no doubt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)