What do you GET/ACHIEVE from going into overseas exchange? (1 Viewer)

rayy_bann

HSC
I know that overseas exchange may only be a few weeks, but why do people do it? BESIDES the different cultural experiences, is going to an exchange program advantageous for your CV/Resume?

Like say if you went to Cambridge exchange for just a few weeks, are you able to put in your resume "Cambridge January 2012"?

gsweeper

HSC
Hey again :)

Firstly, overseas exchange can be a 6 week winter/summer program, a semester exchange ranging from 5-6 months, or a full years exchange where you can attend one university for a semester then fly half way across the world if you wished and attend another university, it's entirely up to you :D

The benefits of exchange are brilliant, in fact there are no negatives in my opinion, everyone should try and do it! You are able to learn different ideas from different universities around the world, the whole experience of studying at another university should make you such a more well rounded person. Yes, you do get to experience different cultures, and you will gain immense amounts of independence, but exchange really will make a difference in the long run. You should gain so much more confidence and self belief in doing things, this potentially flowing through to your career. Most university graduates don't have much to differentiate themselves from one another (if someone says prestige, i'll lose it) so going on exchange demonstrates to employees that you are someone who must hold self-belief and initiative. And yes, you would be able to put the university which you attended on your resume, but I do suggest undertaking at least a semester abroad, you'll thank yourself for it believe me! :D

I've currently applied for exchange to Berlin School of Economics, just waiting to hear back from MQ intl to see if i've been accepted!

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey again :)

Firstly, overseas exchange can be a 6 week winter/summer program, a semester exchange ranging from 5-6 months, or a full years exchange where you can attend one university for a semester then fly half way across the world if you wished and attend another university, it's entirely up to you :D

The benefits of exchange are brilliant, in fact there are no negatives in my opinion, everyone should try and do it! You are able to learn different ideas from different universities around the world, the whole experience of studying at another university should make you such a more well rounded person. Yes, you do get to experience different cultures, and you will gain immense amounts of independence, but exchange really will make a difference in the long run. You should gain so much more confidence and self belief in doing things, this potentially flowing through to your career. Most university graduates don't have much to differentiate themselves from one another (if someone says prestige, i'll lose it) so going on exchange demonstrates to employees that you are someone who must hold self-belief and initiative. And yes, you would be able to put the university which you attended on your resume, but I do suggest undertaking at least a semester abroad, you'll thank yourself for it believe me! :D

I've currently applied for exchange to Berlin School of Economics, just waiting to hear back from MQ intl to see if i've been accepted!

Hey!

Oh yeah I reckon on an employment point of view, it can be very attractive! I know its probably way out of my league, and Macq Uni doesn't probably have it as an option, but I really want to at least go to an Ivy league school like Harvard (yes laughable coming from me, an ordinary Mac student...BUT I shall see it through!...somehow). Anyways, thanks for the reply! And I hope you get that exchange to Berlin school of Economics! Seems like a cool school in a cool country. I've actually been to Germany before, just not Berlin :L I'm sure its good!

gsweeper

HSC
Yeah Germany is easily my favourite country, can't speak German very well, but i'm hoping this trip changes that :D
To be completely honest, i'm not claiming to be an expert, but imagine is MQ did offer exchange to Ivy League universities, the amount of competition would be ridiculous for potentially 1 or 2 spots. I think your best bet is completing your undergrad here, get rich and do your post grad overseas. Because let's face it, it's post-grad quality which really separates the best from the rest.

rayy_bann

HSC
Yeah Germany is easily my favourite country, can't speak German very well, but i'm hoping this trip changes that :D
To be completely honest, i'm not claiming to be an expert, but imagine is MQ did offer exchange to Ivy League universities, the amount of competition would be ridiculous for potentially 1 or 2 spots. I think your best bet is completing your undergrad here, get rich and do your post grad overseas. Because let's face it, it's post-grad quality which really separates the best from the rest.
Oh yeah! That's what I mean, I wouldn't do undergrad overseas, but i am considering prostgrad like LLM for Laws in a foreign school. I don't think its really worth completing the majority of my undergraduate overseas. But yes, thanks for that advice!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Great advice. if you can't get a spot in your university's exchange programme, definitely try to go overseas for a postgraduate degree, even if it is for a 1 year Masters. It will open up your eyes to how another university operates and you will meet new friends along the way!

Since coming to Cambridge, I have met 3 Nobel Laureates and have been to some outstanding lectures given by leaders in my field. I've met some great people who I can talk to about science and issues outside of science. I also like living away from home and become independent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)