Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: America or Australia?

  1. #51
    Cadet
    Join Date
    May 2014
    HSC
    2015
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    3

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flop21 View Post
    Did he say it was simple?
    Because the argument for gun control in the US transcend beyond the simplicity of if regular citizen, then no guns

  2. #52
    Executive Member isildurrrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,764
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by braintic View Post
    Assuming you are saying that the problem with stereotyping is making a sweeping generalisation (because I can't think of any other possible problem with it - in fact, stereotyping is just a commonly used generalisation about people):

    Didn't you say: "Highest anti-vax rates are in rich suburbs in Sydney. I blame the uneducated housewives of rich people."

    Was that generalising?

    Or what about this one?: "fuck the turks. giant shitbags..."

    Tell me - when is generalising/stereotyping valid and when is it not? I suspect the answer is that it's valid when you agree with the sentiment, not valid when you don't.

    (Regarding your first statement, it is interesting that you think that the entire responsibility falls on the wife. Sounds to me like a misogynistic leaning)
    The turkish government are giant shitbags, you know the same people who decided to stand and watch whilst thousands were being slaughtered near their border. You obviously have no understanding of international politics.

    Not exactly wrong about the rich housewives part either. You do realize a lot of anti-vaxxers have been women correct?

    http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...326-35iy3.html

  3. #53
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by isildurrrr1 View Post
    The turkish government are giant shitbags, you know the same people who decided to stand and watch whilst thousands were being slaughtered near their border. You obviously have no understanding of international politics.

    Not exactly wrong about the rich housewives part either. You do realize a lot of anti-vaxxers have been women correct?

    http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...326-35iy3.html
    You didn't say "the Turkish government". You said Turks.
    Perhaps a Turk could look at the racist policies of Australian governments past and present, and use that to claim "Australians are shitbags". Would that be a fair statement?

    And I didn't say you were totally wrong about the housewives.
    You don't seem to understand my point. You accused me of stereotyping, which basically means generalising (but carrying the added connotation that the generalisation is a commonly believed one). Yet you have also made sweeping generalisations.

    You could argue that a generalisation is "generally more true than for the rest of the population", and that is my stance with my own comments. But you can't argue about whether or not generalising is appropriate based solely on your own perception of the truth of the comments.
    Last edited by braintic; 5 Oct 2015 at 9:29 PM.

  4. #54
    Executive Member isildurrrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,764
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by braintic View Post
    You didn't say "the Turkish government". You said Turks.
    With the context of the post given, I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain would know I was specifically talking about the Turkish government, similar to how people post about the 'russians, americans, germans' did xyz with their military.

    Your entire view of the US is to portray it as some buttfuck backwater filled with religious fevour and gun toting cowboys is pretty much wrong. It's a country with 300 million people and 50 individual states with very different cultures. Advising someone not to go there because 'hurr durr redneck baby killers' it just blatantly ignorant.

  5. #55
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by isildurrrr1 View Post
    With the context of the post given, I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain would know I was specifically talking about the Turkish government, similar to how people post about the 'russians, americans, germans' did xyz with their military.

    Your entire view of the US is to portray it as some buttfuck backwater filled with religious fevour and gun toting cowboys is pretty much wrong. It's a country with 300 million people and 50 individual states with very different cultures. Advising someone not to go there because 'hurr durr redneck baby killers' it just blatantly ignorant.
    Firstly, please point out where in my comment I advised someone not to go there.

    Now - if you were talking face to face with a Turkish civilian, and you had been discussing the actions of the Turkish government/military, even if he was agreeing with you on that matter, you would have no problem saying to him "Turks are shitbags"?

    Re the USA - they have 89 guns per 100 residents. If that's not gun-toting, I don't know what is.


    But I was surprised to learn that the number of christian fucks in the US is plummeting - down 7% in 7 years, with Massachusetts actually falling 15% in that time.
    Add to this the fact that only 27% of weddings in Australia in 2013 were religious ceremonies, and things are looking up for the world.

  6. #56
    Executive Member isildurrrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,764
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: America or Australia?

    Depends on the state in regards to gun ownership. If you lived in NYC gl getting a firearm. But if you lived in Oklahoma it's a different story. The only reason why any of the shootings are making the news is because it's occurring in well off white states/neighbourhoods eg colorado, oregon (hipster heaven) and Connecticut (rich people heaven). the numbers are a bit false since most gun owners in the US would own multiple firearms (rifle, pistol and shotguns are standard).

    NZ and Switzerland has pretty high ownership of firearms and they don't really have a lot of the problems that the US have.

  7. #57
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,117
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by isildurrrr1 View Post
    .
    You seem to have an issue with rich people. Why is that?

  8. #58
    Member CaptainPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    HSC
    2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    397
    Rep Power
    4

    Re: America or Australia?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRmtzgOxtas

    (could only find the italian version sadly)
    Quote Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
    I'll be honest, I assume that each and every one of you are obese.
    #HSCpounds

  9. #59
    Executive Member isildurrrr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,764
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by braintic View Post
    You seem to have an issue with rich people. Why is that?
    I honestly don't?

  10. #60
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: America or Australia?

    For those who are looking to study in Autralia, I reckon to contact study network australia.

  11. #61
    New Member Nico51UStudy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: America or Australia?

    Quote Originally Posted by sasha831 View Post
    Hello,

    I am going to be finishing school soon, and have started looking towards different universities, with the hopes of doing an Engineering degree.

    I have bit of a crossroads, with 2 major options, both of which have their merits and I cannot decide the better one:
    I am considering applying to a high end university in America, most likely MIT, though possibly CalTech or Stanford. The other option is ofcourse staying here in Melbourne and applying for the University of Melbourne. I have compiled the following list of Pro's and Con's for both, and would like some advice:

    MIT:
    -Superior Education
    -More Freedom (Away from parents)

    Melbourne University:
    -Located at home
    -Friends and Family all here
    -Lower Drinking Age
    -Decent Education

    (Yes, the enjoyment and fun are also important to me)

    From this, it seems I am throwing up a better education up against home, friends, family and the like. After graduating, I plan on moving back here to Australia regardless of job offers or the country in which I studied.

    So my question is, how much better is the education at MIT, will it make a difference later in life, and is it worth leaving friends and family behind for it?

    For further education, I am planning on getting a Masters after my bachelor, no sure whether I would do it at MIT or in Melbourne Uni, even if I got my bachelor at MIT. I also see a PHD as a big possibility, though that will definitely happen back here at Melbourne Uni

    Many Thanks!
    Ok, First of all, it takes a TON of preparation to get into a school like MIT. Yes, it will increase your ability to find a job in the future, DEFINITELY. I have nothing against Melbourne Uni. I actually got a masters there, and also got a masters from Columbia University in New York. Yes. I have lived in Harlem. Is America scary sometimes? Yes. Does it make you stronger. Also, yes! Traveling anywhere is dangerous. At the risk of sounding cliche "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". Why not try for MIT, and if you don't get in, the safer, easier option will be University of Melbourne.

    If you need any help with your application, or practice / tutoring with SATs, or any kind of advice on applying to university in the U.S., you should check out www.51UStudy.com.au. We may be able to help.

    Cheers and good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •