Ok, I'm doing my masters...In New York... Need an advice! (1 Viewer)

Anneth225

HSC
Hello guys, I am graduating this year and am planning to do my masters in New York. I've never been there before, so would like to ask for an advice on how to get familiar with the city faster. I will probably be renting a flat, so would appreciate any insights from native New Yorkers or people who are familiar with the Big Apple.

I already started my research and today found this website which ranks NewYork's neighborhoods, streets and even houses by livability. It reminds me of Yelp, but for houses and neighborhoods since it gives specific score for every house of your interest. Do you think that I can/should trust source like that? Never heard of it before. What I also like is cool map stuff with various demographic metrics, safety rates or internet speed across the city's neighborhoods that they are doing. For example, this dominant ethnicity map is looking really neat.

Anyway, do you know any similar websites/articles or are just willing to share some personal experience that would help me understand more about different parts of NYC? It's a big move for me and I want to prepare for it as much as I can. :headbang:

kiko2

HSC
N/A
masters in which field?in which uni?uni you studied in Aus? :) would like to just know :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How good is your budgeting? I used to live in Manhattan a few years back and it isn't cheap. You'll also find that whilst rent may not seem that exorbitant (e.g. my mates rent this shoebox for about $3k/mth), be prepared for some landlords to be less flexible given you're a foreigner. To put things in perspective my friends despite having stable incomes from a large firm in Manhattan were asked to prepay a year of rent which they negotiated down to nine months. That being said as a landlord myself in Australia, when I had some tenants without solid income (a couple with only one income source from casual retail work) I asked for six months rent in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)