Study Abroad Dilemma (1 Viewer)

chloe_angelique

HSC
What to do if you don't have enough financial means to pay for overseas fees?

Jinks

HSC
Have you considered institutions that have an exchange program with your university? You'll be able to HECS the fees as normal and will only have to worry about the other associated costs.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Maybe speak to the exchange office at your university?

Australian Government OS-HELP Loan Scheme is something offered to all eligible domestic students looking at exchange. This is the usyd link, but it's a government scholarship so anyone can apply. http://sydney.edu.au/current_students/student_exchange/os_help_loan.shtml

Or exchange scholarships (again, usyd. If you're not a usyd student, talk to your university but this will give you an idea of what's available). http://sydney.edu.au/scholarships/current/exchange.shtml

chloe_angelique

HSC
Have you considered institutions that have an exchange program with your university? You'll be able to HECS the fees as normal and will only have to worry about the other associated costs.
is there an online site that offers scholarship or exchange programs?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Even if you're eager to study in other country?
if you're eager to study overseas but don't have the funds, then you DON'T study overseas

what you're essentially saying is "I want a baby, but I can't financially support it, should I get a baby?"

if you answer yes, don't breed

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Square isn't exactly being nice about it lol, but he is right. If you don't have the funds to do it, then don't. At usyd, the VERY first question they ask you in the application process is "How much money do you have available for going on exchange?" and you can't even include the OS-HELP Loan Scheme in that amount. The government will only give you around $6k per semester (it's around $7k if going to an Asian destination), and is definitely not going to be enough to cover everything. Where are you thinking of going?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Square isn't exactly being nice about it lol, but he is right. If you don't have the funds to do it, then don't. At usyd, the VERY first question they ask you in the application process is "How much money do you have available for going on exchange?" and you can't even include the OS-HELP Loan Scheme in that amount. The government will only give you around $6k per semester (it's around $7k if going to an Asian destination), and is definitely not going to be enough to cover everything. Where are you thinking of going?
can't believe this is actually a thing. The government is basically paying for your holiday

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I know, I can see why it's a thing but I really do think that the government needs to restrict the amount of people getting this. As of now, I'm pretty sure most people are eligible to receive it, it should probably be changed to only those who need it the most (I guess OP would fall into that category).

That being said, as someone interested in going on exchange, if it's there then I sure will take it :D

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
can't believe this is actually a thing. The government is basically paying for your holiday
you will have at least 0.125 EFTSL of your course of study left to complete once you have finished your overseas study (usually one unit of study); and

Dude that's like having one course left...

yeah most people won't meet that.

I think it's for people who are doing international studies which the degree REQUIRES you to go on exchange.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Work/save until you can? Some of my friends saved every dollar and cent they could, and even when they went abroad they managed to live extremely thriftly... but it really requires you to have a certain discipline about it all.

I personally never had that discipline and hence I never studied overseas. I just waited until I was working full time and went on work trips instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)