Can I go on exchange for more than a year/two semesters? (1 Viewer)

stellyy

HSC
Hi I know I need to be more concerned with my upcoming hsc but I'm super curious about uni exchange programs.
Normally uni students go on exchange during their second year of uni and stay overseas either one semester or two semester max..
BUT, what if you want to go two different countries and stay each country for a full year? like would it be possible if I repeat my second year? or can I go on exchange during my second year and go another country during honours or something?
sorry for the stupid question but I'm really into cultural aspects of each country around the world and would love to repeat second year if I can go twice for full duration not like one semester in each country.

Thanks!

Silly Sausage

HSC
Yes, sometimes in places like the UK where they run the semesters differently you'll have to go for two-semesters. Some unis allow you to file a request to stay for another semester if possible.
UTS has a degree called international studies where you can combine it with another degree where you have to study the country of your choice and go exchange there for two-semesters.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
^ That's still only a year though. I think OP is asking for more than a year.

I don't think it's very common though. However, if you do a double degree then it gives you the chance to go on exchange twice. If you go on exchange to a place that isn't the USA, Canada or UK then each exchange can last a full year. So for example you can go on exchange for a year to Hong Kong, then go on exchange for a year to France. That's how it works at USYD at least.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want to go longer than the semester which is offered, you might need to consider just enrolling directly in another country's university. It won't be cheap and hence you lose some of the benefits of the exchange program but you'll get to stay there longer.

IMO you'll get more out of visiting multiple places than just going a little bit longer to one.

HSChelpneeded

HSC
I have another few questions id like to add please
1) in terms of exchange Would the uni start training you for the language beforehand? I assume you would also have been already studying the language but I just want to kmow if they put more emphasis on being able to communicate once they know u intend to go study overseas...
Also, is 1 year very long for overseas? because for my course, it is compulsory one year....im a bit nervous about that AND also LAST QUESTION in the country u go to, they do start of speaking english/going easy on you right? im terrified you go there and they're speaking full on and you dont understand anything...i can't imagine for e.g. studying my commerce degree in german...... PS im going to Macq

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, i have a few months till i need to decide to apply

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you need to learn the language yourself. If you have free electives you can take language classes, or overload, or learn in your own time. But the uni won't help you with learning the language to get you ready. Considering going overseas is compulsory for your course, you'll probably need to take language courses beforehand anyway as part of your degree, so make sure to choose the right language.
In the country they go to, they'll probably assume you speak the country's native language well. Take Aus for example, it's not like we don't speak full on English just because there are a few international students whose English aren't great. Whether they speak to you in English depends on the country, I know some countries like France will really expect you to know French because it's part of their culture that they just speak French most of the time, but other countries may be more lenient. If your German skills aren't great by the time you're ready to go overseas, then you should definitely not go to Germany to study Commerce in a German-speaking uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)