Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hrithikroshan

Thread: What can you do if you get into an amazing university overseas but can't afford it?

HSC

What can you do if you get into an amazing university overseas but can't afford it?

Like you're so poor there's no way in hell you'd afford tuition and living expenses, even if you get a scholarship? Just kiss goodbye to your dreams?

HSC

Re: What can you do if you get into an amazing university overseas but can't afford i

Pretty much?

Imagine the kids in rural Australia who just want to attend a normal Australian university but their parents cannot afford them to stay on campus (which they need to do since they're hours and hours away from uni).

Makes sense why they offer so many rural scholarships.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

Re: What can you do if you get into an amazing university overseas but can't afford i

Ack god you could be like the most brilliant potential PhD candidate ever and totally miss out. :/

Executive Member
    HSC

Not too sure actually. I've always wanted to go undergraduate for finance at LSE or Oxford, but it was too expensive for me realistically. So I'll stay in Syd and hopefully I get into my desired course.
    MX2 - ADV - ECO - BUS

HSC
    Uni Grad

Some universities offer full scholarships to students, there are some government scholarships as well (but these are even harder to get haha).

I know parents who sell their property so their kids will be able to fulfil their dreams.

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia19 View Post
    Like you're so poor there's no way in hell you'd afford tuition and living expenses, even if you get a scholarship? Just kiss goodbye to your dreams?
    Have you heard of a bank before? Put up some collateral and hope the lender (bank) approves.

a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    HSC

Or you know, get a job. Government also provides things like youth allowance to assist with things like this.

A number of people choose to take a gap year and work in order to save up some cash before starting uni. You can then put your undergrad uni fees on HECS (if you're a domestic student), use the money you saved the year prior to pay for rent, get a part-time job local to the uni to pay for groceries/other living expenses, and use that as a way to manage.

Alternately, it's completely possible to have a full-time job and study part-time.

No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

HSC
    Uni Grad

You're usually not allowed to work at the overseas country unless you get the proper visa for it. The fees are also incredibly expensive, do you think banks would be willing to give an 18 year old over $200k for their studies?
    Sydney Secondary College BWB Campus
    Mechanical Engineering/Commerce (Finance) @ USYD

Cadet
    HSC

borrow money from bank or government

HSC

Get a job, unless you already have one?

HSC

get a loan and work.

HSC

You know, in terms of 'overseas' USA, Canada and England aren't the only options (hence the $200K student loans)
    ^ unless you want to settle there/work for 7+ years in that country

Many European Universities are subsidized by the government (for locals though, but still 'cheaper' for internationals)
    Many Asian Universities (HKU, NTU etc.) can be equal or less than your local Australian uni fees even as an international

HSC

Some american unis provide financial help for parents under $70k/year

Research!! When there's a will there's a way
    JaySea2014 likes this.

HSC
    N/A

save

Thread Information