Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ColesInsurance
  • 1 Post By BLIT2014

Thread: Is it possible to still get into UK universities if not meeting the minimum ATAR?

Cadet
    HSC

Is it possible to still get into UK universities if not meeting the minimum ATAR?

Hi guys

I have been doing some scouting and figured out a lot of the UK universities have high atar cut off since it's very competitive to get into to.

So is it still possible to get into UK universities if you don't meet the minimum atar?

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Is it possible to still get into UK universities if not meeting the minimum ATAR?

I've done my fair share of research and unfortunately no. The big 6 UK unis each accept around 100 Australian school-leavers each year and quite strict with their 98.5+ ATAR requirement.

However, outside of prestigious unis, St. Andrews, Uni of Warwick and Surrey Uni are more lenient and "claim" to accept low 90 ATARs however your subject selection is limited, the lower your ATAR.

This is quite different from US where there is certain degree of emphasis placed on extracurricular and sporting achievements although Im guessing if you get a few ATAR points of the threshold, you could try your luck showing extensive extracurriculars.

HSC

Re: Is it possible to still get into UK universities if not meeting the minimum ATAR?

I know someone who last year graduated with a 98.5 ATAR and applied for Cambridge Univeristy but he didn't get accepted, because obviously there were better candidates, regardless of the ATAR cut off being 98.5+! And let me tell you, this guy was an all rounder; succeeded in school, sports, extra curricular. You really have to be above that standard to get into Oxbridge universities. I'm not quite sure about the other UK universities though. But as Baktiar77 said, American Ivy Leagues and private Universities (MIT, Stanford, Caltech...) place a greater emphasis on EC. But best of luck
    SydneySpurs likes this.
    HSC 2016
    English Advanced
    English Extension
    Biology
    Chemistry
    PDHPE
    SOR II

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Durham University (Top 10) has on its website for Australian Applicants an ATAR of 89+ / OP 5 which may be achievable for you?
    SydneySpurs likes this.
    “the art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing"
    ~Jean-Baptiste Colbert

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Don't forget to "vote"(post) in the postal plebiscite!

Cadet
    HSC

Yeah mate I should get that! Thanks for telling me man!

HSC

Just out of curiosity, why are you eager to study in the UK?
    HSC 2016
    English Advanced
    English Extension
    Biology
    Chemistry
    PDHPE
    SOR II

HSC

Oxford and Cambridge only need a 98.5+ (in reality it's more a 99+ depending on the course). However, your ATAR is only one part of the admissions process - you still have your personal statement, teacher reference, entrance exams and interviews as well. Oxbridge (as they call it there), also have little interest in your extracurricular. It's great if you are all rounded, but that can't substitute for genuine passion and talent for what you are applying to study.

Other unis usually don't have other entrance exams or interviews, but you still need a personal statement and teacher reference.

But yea, what's motivating you to study at the UK? It's hugely expensive and you might be better off staying in Australia (unless you get into Oxbridge)
    Last edited by Soulful; 28 Jul 2016 at 3:43 PM.

~ First in Drama 2015 ~

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Also the SATs are an option. I've heard of cases of people get 99.85 and not getting into Oxford due to not going so well at the interview stage so be prepared to practice for that.
    “the art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing"
    ~Jean-Baptiste Colbert

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Don't forget to "vote"(post) in the postal plebiscite!

Thread Information