student exchange (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
just wondering if anyone has been on student exchange or if anyone is considering going?

if you have already or are currently on student exchange, where'd you go? what was it like?

if your considering on it, which uni and where?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
its good, but if you dont have the money, i wouldnt bother, you need at least 10000 for a semester to survive ;)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
so you've been??

$10000 is a bit much don't you think for a semester?
the money thing is a bit of a let down, MQ estimates around $1200 per month.... not including travel expenses....

theone123

blue essence
HSC
jlh said:
so you've been??

$10000 is a bit much don't you think for a semester?
the money thing is a bit of a let down, MQ estimates around $1200 per month.... not including travel expenses....
dont forget, its only for travel, accomodation, food etc. expenses. You still gotta pay for HECS back in Aus.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Choose US universities. like Georgetown University or Uni of South California.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
I would go to ULCA if I could but our University does not have an exchange with them:mad:. I don't have enough money anyway:(.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'm considering Uni British Columbia (Canada), Uni of Washington (US) and Uni of Calgary (Canada).

wheres ULCA? or do you mean UCLA?

i'm not that fussed about the money.... i figure if i can save a couple of thousand plus the $3k scholarship offered by MQ and some money my parents will give me to help me out, i should be able to manage... the travel expense isn't a big worry cuz i can get a 90% discount on air fares...

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
jlh said:
i'm considering Uni British Columbia (Canada), Uni of Washington (US) and Uni of Calgary (Canada).
Why are you interested in those? I am just wondinering:).

jlh said:
wheres ULCA? or do you mean UCLA?
Oh, shame on me:eek:. My favourite place in the world and I get it wrong. Yes, I did mean UCLA:).

jlh said:
i'm not that fussed about the money.... i figure if i can save a couple of thousand plus the $3k scholarship offered by MQ and some money my parents will give me to help me out, i should be able to manage... the travel expense isn't a big worry cuz i can get a 90% discount on air fares...
Yeah, having a job is a big help. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get one yet:(.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
hey all, just letting u know the government offers exchange loans that you pay back like HECS, they are for like $3000-4000. Its called OS HELP. Check out the HECS website thing for details.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
i'm considering uni's in canada mainly... only because i have relatives there and they would be able to help me with accomodation... plus the exchange rate of CAD and AUD is pretty much 1 to 1... also from the list of partnerships with canadian uni's, those 2 are the ones my relatives recommended...

actually i don't have a job.. i'm an unemployed bum... but i plan on looking for one soon!! :S i don't plan on going on exchange till 2nd semester of 2005....

thanks mambomeg for that info... if i can't get enough money by then i'll consider OS HELP.. thanks..

has anyone gone on exchange to a non-english speaking country? are you severely disadvantaged if you do =|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)