Funding for exchange (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I am really keen on going on exchange to Japan next year. However, a requirement is to prove to UNSW that "you should be able to demonstrate that you will have AUD $1,500 available to you for every month that you will be on exchange". This is money I do not have. I don't want to burden my family with the cost of my exchange, but I can't get a scholarship because my GPA is too low and I don't have a trust fund or anything like that. Is there any other way of getting the money for a semester on exchange (e.g. government funding)?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
CBA offer campus loan or student loan, try that.

Uni should have interest free loan of up to $500.

If you got centrelink payments, try asking them to pay in advance, i think the limit is $1000.

Try asking your employer to pay in advance salary if you got a fix job.

Try asking friends and families , a small contribution will help.

Or seek a real loan IMO =P

babez_hamp

HSC
N/A
babydoll - the government has just released a loan called OS-HELP specifically for students wanting to go on an exchange. you can borrow $5000 for every semester you are away up to a total maximum of $10000 (ie. 2 semesters). as long as you are eligible for exchange at the university you are eligible for the loan. the repayments follow the same guidelines as HECS. go to www.goingtouni.gov.au

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
babydoll_ said:
I am really keen on going on exchange to Japan next year. However, a requirement is to prove to UNSW that "you should be able to demonstrate that you will have AUD $1,500 available to you for every month that you will be on exchange". This is money I do not have. I don't want to burden my family with the cost of my exchange, but I can't get a scholarship because my GPA is too low and I don't have a trust fund or anything like that. Is there any other way of getting the money for a semester on exchange (e.g. government funding)?
Yeh im lookin to go on xchange to Japan as well. Not sure whether nxt yr or the yr after tho. I'm @ MQ & apparently once ur accepted into the exchange program ur given an automatic travel grant of a few $k depending which country u decide to go to. Well thats my understanding neway :p

Btw which daigakus r u looking @ in Japan?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah with MQ you get a guaranteed scholarship.. of up to $3k i think depending on where your going.. plus you can also apply for that OS help. like babez_hamp said, you can borrow $2k, $3k or $5k per semester. you repay it with 20% interest in the same manner you pay your hecs debt.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Just try for a scholarship anyway. You never know what the outcome will be. And also investigate Japanese Organisations e.g Japan Foundation in North Sydney. They may have some info there or know of other organisations to approach for scholarship funding.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
NAB has campus personal loans of 9.5% (from memory) starting at $5000, repayments commencing at Graduation. CBA loans are similar at 10.5% interest (memory again) and the range is $500 to $5000.

If you're a med student, ask the banks if they have favourable terms for you. They vary between med schools, but I know that at Tasmania and UWA (possibly Adelaide? Alvin?) there are special loan rates for us.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
wow you don't have to repay anything till you graduate.. uh but what about the interest??

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It compounds from the initial time of loan. So obviously you want as much money from other sources first, but it will be one of the cheaper personal loans you can get. Just make sure you can pay parts back early in case you get a job later on.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
AcStyle* said:
Yeh im lookin to go on xchange to Japan as well. Not sure whether nxt yr or the yr after tho. I'm @ MQ & apparently once ur accepted into the exchange program ur given an automatic travel grant of a few $k depending which country u decide to go to. Well thats my understanding neway :p

Btw which daigakus r u looking @ in Japan?
I'm @ UNSW, but my GPA isn't high enough to get a scholarship, and I haven't seen anything about UNSW giving out grants. I do have a D average in Japanese so maybe I can try for a scholarship from the Japan Foundation or something like that (I forgot what it was though, you do a test and you get a scholarship from an organisation from Japan).

My choice of daigakus is limited cos I need to complete my Science degree as well as my Arts degree, and very few unis, if any at all, offer relevant Science subjects in English. (There is no way I could do Science subjects in Japanese - way too hard for a mere beginner like me!)

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Well i've just been lookin thru some of MQ's Japanese partner unis' sites, most of their English sites r pretty lacking, & its too hard to read the normal Japanese one....I'll probly go c one of the xchange advisors or wotever when i get srs abt it. My pref tho would be a Tokyo uni :cool:

I'm doin a Commerce degree atm, so if i do go i doubt i'll be takin up business-related units there. Its hard enuf doin econ in English, let alone in Jap...i'll probly do some BS unit lyk intro Japanese or sumfin...it wont count to my degree here & add an xtra semester on but i dun really mind :)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
AcStyle*: if you go to japan, you automatically qualify for a $4k travel grant from the uni for the first semester... then you get an additional $2k per semester afterwards....

also, there appears only 3 uni's in japan where english is a lanaguage of instruction:
Kansai Gaidai University – Osaka
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University – Beppu, Oiita Prefecture
St Andrews University - Izumi

so maybe tokyo uni might be out of the question.......

http://www.international.mq.edu.au/abroad/partner_directory.html#4

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
UNSW and USyd both have agreements with at least one of the big 3 Tokyo universities (Toudai, Keiou and Waseda). UTS deals with smaller, less famous universities (my choice was Yamanashi) and they tend to be more geared towards engineering etc.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
jlh said:
AcStyle*: if you go to japan, you automatically qualify for a $4k travel grant from the uni for the first semester... then you get an additional $2k per semester afterwards....

also, there appears only 3 uni's in japan where english is a lanaguage of instruction:
Kansai Gaidai University – Osaka
Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University – Beppu, Oiita Prefecture
St Andrews University - Izumi

so maybe tokyo uni might be out of the question.......

http://www.international.mq.edu.au/abroad/partner_directory.html#4
Thx for clearing up the monetary issue jlh :) ... $4k doesnt sound bad at all!

Oh btw wot i meant was i wanted to go to a uni in Tokyo, not specifically Tokyo Uni.

@ Lexi: U seem to kno a bit on Japanese tertiary institutions, wot is the standing of Waseda? They happen to be a MQ partner uni so im able to go there. Is it one of the bigger/'prestigous' unis in Japan?

Also, have u been or are u planning to go to Yamanashi? & where is it?

Thx~

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
AcStyle* said:
Oh btw wot i meant was i wanted to go to a uni in Tokyo, not specifically Tokyo Uni.
oh yeah sorry.. i mis- read it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)