Anyone done exchange in the US? (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Just wondering.
1) Where did you go?
2) How much $ was needed?
3) How much sexy time explosions did you get?
4) Standard of education
5) How did you drink if u/21

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Cheers mate.
I'm thinking north carolina chapel hill but found out today that the NC campus is practically allocated at random. I only wish to go to chapel hill, failing that berkeley.
Apparently in NC the drinking age is pretty lax. It's rarely enforced.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
i looked into going for 6 months and it was going to cost similar to wwhat i already spend, jnust the airfairs to get there were the extra.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i'm looking at going in 3rd year on exchange - colorado state uni... anyone know of its rep for ag degrees?? it looks pretty good... they have colleges just for ag students (although they all look like rodeo cowboys in the pics!)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
i'm looking at going in 3rd year on exchange - colorado state uni... anyone know of its rep for ag degrees?? it looks pretty good... they have colleges just for ag students (although they all look like rodeo cowboys in the pics!)
cornell is excellent for ag.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
otay said:
North carolina sounds good. Its still part of the south though and i cant stand them, but its generally pretty liberal. Berkely is a great school, but its in a fuckn ghetto-as neighbourhood and heaps of bums, like all that bay area. UC santa barbara is supposed to be the ultimate party university and its a UC school so its also good. Lots of babes go there. I was lookin at sumwhere like tulane in New orleans, but now that seems like its not gonna happen.
Boston seems alright if you can stand the type of girl it's overpopulated by (rich and posh model-type). Also would be an amazing city

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
yeah but my uni only does exchanges to certain uni's in the us... cornell isn't on that list (where is cornell anyway)
cornell is in NY. beautiful campus. absolutely stunning.

kow_dude

HSC
stazi said:
cornell is in NY. beautiful campus. absolutely stunning.
Are you going to study at NY?? OMG, i'm so jealous!

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok well looking at my uni's website, my options are University of Wyoming, Washinton State, Purdue (Indiana) and Colorado State... had a look at the websites but anyone know anything first hand about these 4?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
kow_dude said:
Are you going to study at NY?? OMG, i'm so jealous!
Nope, North Carolina - Chapel Hill is more my kind of place.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i'd watch the drinking under 21 thing- i heard a story about aussies who did the summer camps over there and they got themselves chucked out of the country for breaking the law

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
ok well looking at my uni's website, my options are University of Wyoming, Washinton State, Purdue (Indiana) and Colorado State... had a look at the websites but anyone know anything first hand about these 4?
Washington state - pretty poor ranking (120th in USA). It's in a very small city (20,000 population). It's also 80miles to the nearest train station!!!

Wyoming - again a very small town. not well ranked at all.

Purdue -
Calumet campus: apparently crap from rankings, location etc
North Central: no. just no :p it's like a community college but not.
West Lafayette: good ranking (comparing to other unis you put down). Kinda small town but I imagine it'd be close to lafayette, which is bigger. Also low crime rate.
Indianopilis: i think it's a big city but ranking is terrible.

Colorado State - good city, low crime rate, pretty poor ranking. But it seems like it'd be a good college to go to. However, it is far from the nearest train station. Very far. But the city is very big so there'll be a lot to do.

So it seems to be Colorado State vs West Lafayette campus of Purdue.
To decide, I used a website where students rank unis amongst various categories and then at the end, graduates are asked whether they would return to this uni if they could do it all again.
CSU:
Education Quality B+ (7.6)
Social Life B+ (7.6)
Extracurricular Activities B (7.0)
University Resource Use B (7.3)
Perceived Campus Safety B+ (7.9)
Surrounding City A- (8.7)
Campus Aesthetics A- (8.2)
Campus Maintenance B+ (8.0)
About 75% would return

Education Quality B+ (7.9)
Social Life B- (6.2)
Extracurricular Activities B+ (7.6)
University Resource Use B (7.2)
Perceived Campus Safety A- (8.4)
Surrounding City C (5.0)
Campus Aesthetics B (7.3)
Campus Maintenance B+ (7.5)
About 75% would return.

So it's pretty safe but seems colorado wins out because of the better city it's in.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
wow thanks stazi.. that helped heaps...
i was looking at colorado state as my top choice... i'm even considering not going anymore cos i love my course over here and i've never been that keen on america (i wanted to go to canada but une only does french exchanges there)
i'll keep looking into it

also - just cos a uni is ranked low overall doesn't mean it's individual faculties are regarded higher
i mean une wouldn't be considered one of australia's 'top' uni's - but the rural science and ag courses are considered near the top of australia (for those kinda degrees)...
and as for only small cities - i live in armidale, its only about 30 000 and i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything!! i like small country towns!

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
wow thanks stazi.. that helped heaps...
i was looking at colorado state as my top choice... i'm even considering not going anymore cos i love my course over here and i've never been that keen on america (i wanted to go to canada but une only does french exchanges there)
i'll keep looking into it

also - just cos a uni is ranked low overall doesn't mean it's individual faculties are regarded higher
i mean une wouldn't be considered one of australia's 'top' uni's - but the rural science and ag courses are considered near the top of australia (for those kinda degrees)...
and as for only small cities - i live in armidale, its only about 30 000 and i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything!! i like small country towns!
Yeah, i guess it depends on what you want.
For my criteria I used about:
30% crime rate
40% social life
20% academic quality
10% prestige

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
stazi said:
Yeah, i guess it depends on what you want.
For my criteria I used about:
30% crime rate
40% social life
20% academic quality
10% prestige
Usually though I would think, as academic quality increases, given the area it is likely to be around, crime rate decreases.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
011 said:
Usually though I would think, as academic quality increases, given the area it is likely to be around, crime rate decreases.
that's a pretty bad deduction. People often don't live in the same town as where they went to university.
Berkeley is a good example - dangerous neighbourhood.
Many prime new york unis as well.

otay

HSC
stazi said:
that's a pretty bad deduction. People often don't live in the same town as where they went to university.
Berkeley is a good example - dangerous neighbourhood.
Many prime new york unis as well.
Exactly, berkely and UCLA are in crime-infested neighbourhoods yet both are excellent schools.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
coming from CSU Bathurst, I'd say don't assume town/outside metro area = no social life. That just could be an australian thing, but regional universities are the best in regards to social life.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
White Rabbit said:
coming from CSU Bathurst, I'd say don't assume town/outside metro area = no social life. That just could be an australian thing, but regional universities are the best in regards to social life.
'the best' :p somehow i doubt it. whilst they'd have a good social life, i wouldn't call it better then something in inner metropolitan sydney.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)