Exchange (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Quick question regarding going on exchange for a semester. I'm doing a Commerce degree (Accounting/Finance) and since I want to get professional accounting accreditation, i've got to follow a very specific degree structure (in terms of the subjects I choose) in order to fulfill the pre-requisite course requirements. Basically, there's little margin for error.

So how does this work when doing exchange? Take ACCT2542 for example - do all of UNSW's Exchange partners have an equivalent course so I can mark off as having done ACCT2542 when I get back?

It's a bit of a confusing question, but hopefully you get what I mean.

Affinity

HSC
Acid said:
Quick question regarding going on exchange for a semester. I'm doing a Commerce degree (Accounting/Finance) and since I want to get professional accounting accreditation, i've got to follow a very specific degree structure (in terms of the subjects I choose) in order to fulfill the pre-requisite course requirements. Basically, there's little margin for error.

So how does this work when doing exchange? Take ACCT2542 for example - do all of UNSW's Exchange partners have an equivalent course so I can mark off as having done ACCT2542 when I get back?

It's a bit of a confusing question, but hopefully you get what I mean.
I am quite certain that not every exchange partner has a a course that you can study for in the place of your core subjects, especially if you plan to go to the US, where many universities don't even have an undergraduate business school (though most offer Economics and some finance , accounting and law are rare). You will need to go to those with accounting courses and allowed by the faculty - talk to some LICs.

Also remember to ask ICAA/CPA whether they will accept the credit, given for a course completed overseas

Last edited:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Yeah if you are after CA/CPA accrediation, I think it gets messy when it comes to certain subjects like Business Transactions, Business Taxation and Business Entities, since there are significant differentces between contract, taxation and corporations laws in Australia vs. other countries. You neeed to firstly find a corresponding course, check with the LIC if the corresponding course can be ticked off for the CA/CPA subject and then go to CA/CPA and find out if they will accept it, given the fact that the Uni is prepared to tick it off as a corresponding subject.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Yeah if you are after CA/CPA accrediation, I think it gets messy when it comes to certain subjects like Business Transactions, Business Taxation and Business Entities, since there are significant differentces between contract, taxation and corporations laws in Australia vs. other countries. You neeed to firstly find a corresponding course, check with the LIC if the corresponding course can be ticked off for the CA/CPA subject and then go to CA/CPA and find out if they will accept it, given the fact that the Uni is prepared to tick it off as a corresponding subject. If the Uni doesn't tick it off as a corresponding course, you pretty much have no chance with CA/CPA accepting the course as accredited.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
may be worth doing electives only overseas (or subjects from non CPA qual). Where u thinking of going?

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
It also depends which university you decide to go to. For example, it may be advantageous to take Finance electives from a university that is strong in Finance. eg Uni of Pensylvannia. You would probably have more choices than those offered in UNSW.

Acid

HSC
Hmm this sounds really complicated. I want to go to University of California (Berkeley)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you need a 80+ wam they say to go there. and a place isnt guaranteed.
i may go there in 3rd year but next year im going to north carolina - chapel hill

Acid

HSC
stazi said:
you need a 80+ wam they say to go there. and a place isnt guaranteed.
i may go there in 3rd year but next year im going to north carolina - chapel hill
Im on a 76.75 WAM - close enough?

If not i'll try for the LA campus instead.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
maybe not, on the usyd sheets (and we're in direct competition for places with you), it says that for UCLA 75WAM+ is reqd, whilst for UCLA 80+ is reqd. Chapel Hill is also over 75

Affinity

HSC
A guy from UC came over earlier this year and said you have a pretty good shot at berkeley with 75 WAM.
problem is.. at berkerley, ACCT subjects and the like will be offered by Haas school of business - which is like AGSM... and the guy said enrolment there has to be arranged.
don't think UCLA has a business school at all..

Acid

HSC
hmm, cheers guys. i'll go to the Exchange office when uni resumes and check it out.

NYU looks good as well, but I was hoping to hit up the west coast. :)

Affinity

HSC
you will have better chances at NYU in terms of subjects, but it's a cubicle like UTS

Last edited:

Acid

HSC
Affinity said:
you will have better chances at NYU in terms of subjects, but it's a cubicle like UTS
Cubicle doesn't bother me - I'm not planning on actually being at uni a whole lot. Atm i'm only goin 4 hrs a week for tutes, and I don't really want to increase that any time soon. If I went on exchange i'd prolly go to lectures tho, but for the sole purpose of meeting people so they can take me out parting. :)

Lectures = waste of time (for commerce anyway).

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
apparently theres also preapproved subjects that the school of banking and finance has for US unis. that may be an easier alternative since accounting ones (inc the bizlaw options) are alot harder to match up

Affinity

HSC
so where are they recommending in place of that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)