UWS Exchange Program (1 Viewer)

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
G'day,

Has anyone participated in the UWS Exchange Program?
How was the experience?
How valuble is it, should you do it if you were recommended?
Is finance a big issue?
Is it difficult to go overseas by yourself?

My situation is that I am doing ID which is something pretty competitive, any awards or experience is essential. But the problem is that there is a lack in finance. So should I just waste 10,000$ to do it for one semester?

Any input is appreciated.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If I had the opportunity of doing the exchange program, I would. But I didn't, so its a bummer.

Learning in another institution, let alone another country would be an invaluable experience. Not only do you get to learn about a country first hand, but also their education and you will see more than what you would if you just travelled their on a holiday.

But you'll have to think long and hard about whether you want to spend over $10,000 for just one semester - after all, that is a hell of a lot of money.

Ofcourse going overseas by yourself would be scarey (although, i wouldn't know cause I've never been overseas :p), but you might make some life long friends. You never know what could happen.

You should talk to the international office about it, if your seriously considering exchange.

L

LaraB

i got the email from uni "inviting" you to apply for it (who else got one? just curious what kinda marks 'earned' you that pointless email lol since most my friends didn't get one...)

its not just the money you gotta worry about - you need 2 good referees so people who will actually say good stuff about you lol who taught you for at least a semester so helps if your tutors/lecturer know/like you :p... plus you gotta send an essay...

selection's also based on academic performance and whether they think you'll represent the uni well... so any like, academic misconduct stuff or if you've gotten kicked outa lectures for being a smartass and that kinda thing will mean you won't get picked...

sounds like the money is the last thing you gotta 'satisfy' in a way coz if you got the money you still may not be picked...

you should get more infor about applying for the scholarshpis for it - espec. if you got really good marks - coz that covers at least half the cost:) plus you don't hafta go for a full year or even semester.. you can do ones that are like, a month or 2 only so cost is heaps less but still sounds fun:)

Jacks

HSC
yeah I got one of those e-mails too...I'd really love to do it, but I'm probably too chicken to go off on my own and I'm not sure who I would get to be my referees considering applications close before uni starts again!

As far as marks go I think you'd be looking at a distinction average (i.e. GPA of 6 or thereabouts) What's your GPA Lara?

L

LaraB

Jacks said:
yeah I got one of those e-mails too...I'd really love to do it, but I'm probably too chicken to go off on my own and I'm not sure who I would get to be my referees considering applications close before uni starts again!

As far as marks go I think you'd be looking at a distinction average (i.e. GPA of 6 or thereabouts) What's your GPA Lara?
yeh i got a GPA of 6.25 this semester.. my overall is less but i figured it from from the last semester from the way the email was worded so that made sense

i'm the same - wanna go but too chicken lol unless its canada coz least i can speak the languages:p and aso the money - not so much the cost of going coz from the sounds of it there's quite a few places you can get scholarships from internally and externally... more th fact that i'd lose my scholarships:( which sucks - i don't think i'm allowed to do anything but stay here which kinda sucks...

danieljarvis

HSC
you cats!! i start uni this year... and im gunna be saving all my pennies and trying everything to get an exchange next year to the US!! I don't have much info on it yet.. but i'm still hell keen on the idea! Who wouldn't want to go live in a new country alone and meet new people!!!! And if you don't like it.. you're not there for long anyways!!
But.. seems like it's a bit of a cat fight to get there!

L

LaraB

danieljarvis said:
you cats!! i start uni this year... and im gunna be saving all my pennies and trying everything to get an exchange next year to the US!! I don't have much info on it yet.. but i'm still hell keen on the idea! Who wouldn't want to go live in a new country alone and meet new people!!!! And if you don't like it.. you're not there for long anyways!!
But.. seems like it's a bit of a cat fight to get there!
lol - no matter how much i save i still wouldn't (monetarily) wanna go:p - i still have $40k in scholarships over the next 4 years - if i go on an exchange even for a month i'll lose it all which sucks... so its well not worth it:p

although - i plan on begging my liaison people's to let me probably next year since i don't wanna be going in 4th and 5th year law - since most the scholarship people have gotten lazy and are only just gettin their respective minimum marks but i'm getting heaps higher... hopefully it'll work ;) lol

i'd go for Canada:) coz apparently law's pretty similar there so wouldn't mess up stuff here plus its not as expensive as the US lol n is minus the "Bush" factor :p... it'd be cool if they had them to places like the Carribean or somewhere like that :)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I would have gone to Germany.

Although in first year, a lady from a uni in flordia came to class and heavily pushed us to go on exchange there.

Unforuntely I dont have the money and I didn't have the time to do an exchange, such a bummer.

MonkEE

HSC
N/A
Thanks for replies guys, my GPA average was 5.9 and I think I was rank 2nd, not really sure. I guess they send it out to the top 15% students.

Anyways, I'll probably wait a year and pull $10k out of my ass. I think you'll learn alot by going overseas and stop being lazy, lazyness gets you nowhere.

Last edited:
L

LaraB

MonkEE said:
Thanks for replies guys, my GPA average was 5.9 and I think I was rank 2nd, not really sure. I guess they send it out to the top 15% students.

Anyways, I'll probably wait a year and pull $10k out of my ass. I think you'll learn alot by going overseas and stop being lazy, lazyness gets you nowhere.
omg! you got 5.9 and ranked 2nd! how unfair:p i got 6.25 and seriously doubt i'm even in the top 30 of combined law people....:(

L

LaraB

natstar said:
Guys, as far as marks go, you need a GPA of at least 5 to be considered.
You also need to get academic references from your lectures.
if that was in reference to what i was saying - yep know that:)

asking about who got the email... as far as my bro and friends all have GPA's higehr than 5 but not as high as mine, and they didn't get the email "invite" or whatever you call it..

Jacks

HSC
wow that's pretty impressive, well done! My friend just left for a year exchange in Denmark with Rotary, gosh I wish it was me...hehe, maybe I'll consider this exchange thing after all :D

L

LaraB

i know this is unrelated:p but whilst we're on the topic of GPAs - i hate Golden key society lol - coz its top percent of your course not like...uni wide... i get a feeling i'm gonna get jipped lol...

a friend who did B Economics got into golden key wit a GPA of 5.7... i get over 6 and still probably won't qualify.. damn stupid law nerds lol:p

Jacks

HSC
yeah I agree with that in a sense Lara...it should be overall, but then again if it was I probably wouldn't be a member :p hehe. Though I do think with your marks that you should be getting in, it's hard when there's such big competition in a course like Law. :|

Jonathan A

HSC
I would like to get into Golden Key, but I have no idea where I am ranked or anything like that. Its a game of waiting and trying your best (and convincing Social Science / Law students to drop one course :) ).

Jonathan A

HSC
Jacks said:
wow that's pretty impressive, well done! My friend just left for a year exchange in Denmark with Rotary, gosh I wish it was me...hehe, maybe I'll consider this exchange thing after all :D

Thanks!

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
I would like to get into Golden Key, but I have no idea where I am ranked or anything like that. Its a game of waiting and trying your best (and convincing Social Science / Law students to drop one course :) ).
lol yeah... mean, my course - because of the major in business, technically - i think there's about 20 or so people at parra campus doing the course (in the same year as me) and i dunno.. maybe up to 70 max at campbelltown...

which means to be top 15% i gotta be higher than top 15 students.... which sucks:p

having a bigger student base in your course helps for these things:p

if it wasn't a double major people wouldn't be so scared to combine it with law and it wouldn't disadvantage me lol:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)