His Ext Major Work - 2013 (1 Viewer)

Thief

!!
HSC
Sup 2013ers, was just wondering what topic everyone is considering doing =)

I'm thinking about doing the Renaissance, but not sure what about it exactly, maybe the Medici family or something else to do with Florence during the Renaissance.

Or a potential second topic might be the American Revolution/Native Americans.

I'm hoping this forum isn't too dead and I'll get some responses lol.

hope14

HSC
I'm thinking feminism... but don't know what to choose as the projection / illustration.

phy6au

HSC
I wanted to do a critical analysis of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood for accuracy/ historiography but it might get boring so I haven't locked it in yet.

@hope14 I think i saw ur name on the Ext 2 forums? are you doing both? cos some of my teachers are trying to force me out of one or the other (I'm doing drama as well which has a MW) but I really like both and if all goes well I want to keep all 3 :S

Jawa

HSC
Choose something with a substantial historiographical debate so then you are never short on content and being able to display the syllabus dot points throughout the work.

hope14

HSC
Well I am not feeling sub-standard about my idea anymore or anything... thanks guys. Haha.

@phy6au: Yeah I am doing both. But I don't have any other MWs unlike you. Our deputy has said I should keep 13 units until the end of this term though to make a more informed decision about my extensions before dropping another 2U course and therefore relying on at least 2/3 of my extension classes. I just found out though that I might not be able to do my idea for either EX2 or Extension History as there is some overlap (hardly any which is frustrating!!) and now I am freaking out. Ext History seems kinda hard... Not the MW but the other stuff. Your idea sounds so good!! Good luck with all your MWs.

phy6au

HSC
Well I've dropped Ext 2. gonna focus on this now! good luck everyone

ncoul

HSC
Would the Medici family be considered an overdone topic?

Lina3

HSC
Would the Medici family be considered an overdone topic?
I wouldn't say so... it is certainly an interesting one :) but I thought the project was marked internally so it did not matter whether it is commonly done state wise.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is marked internally so as long as your teacher/s approve the topic it is fine.

The Medici would be great - fabulous time period and fascinating people.

Looking at how they have been portrayed and viewed down the years or their actions and acheivements would all make for great projects.

Megatron96

HSC
Medici would be awesome =) i'm working on historians changes of Cleopatra through time if anyones interested

VictoriaK95

HSC
Well I'm doing Henry VIII and how his achievements are overshadowed by his marriages.

Just do something that interests you or you will be stuck doing something boring and you wont enjoy the subject.

Goodluck!

Thief

!!
HSC
I changed my mind, and now I'm going to be doing the necessity of the Atomic bombings in Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Plenty of debate on that one + I've visited both cities + I'm half Japanese so I think itll be a topic thats pretty relevant for me.

How much work are you guys planning to get done over the coming holidays?

hope14

HSC
I changed my mind, and now I'm going to be doing the necessity of the Atomic bombings in Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Plenty of debate on that one + I've visited both cities + I'm half Japanese so I think itll be a topic thats pretty relevant for me.

Hoping to get heaps done... Like move it along to an end-of-Term-1 standard / level (hopefully!)

If you are doing the atomic bombs (and yes, I know I suggested this to someone in another thread), read 'Hiroshima'. It is amazing and addresses some of that justification element from Japanese perspectives and their views on it and stuff. Really emotional but amazing!

Jawa

HSC
Hoping to get heaps done... Like move it along to an end-of-Term-1 standard / level (hopefully!)

If you are doing the atomic bombs (and yes, I know I suggested this to someone in another thread), read 'Hiroshima'. It is amazing and addresses some of that justification element from Japanese perspectives and their views on it and stuff. Really emotional but amazing!
+ The works of Gar Alperovitz and Barton Bernstein

Thief

!!
HSC
Yup, already read Hiroshima towards the beginning of the term and I'm considering using Alperovitz as one of my historians =)

History 101

HSC
I wanted to do a critical analysis of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood for accuracy/ historiography but it might get boring so I haven't locked it in yet.

@hope14 I think i saw ur name on the Ext 2 forums? are you doing both? cos some of my teachers are trying to force me out of one or the other (I'm doing drama as well which has a MW) but I really like both and if all goes well I want to keep all 3 :S
This is extremely interesting - however it is important that your teacher who will be marking it has read the novel.

Last edited:

History 101

HSC

This is a very common topic. You MUST have an angle.

Last edited:

Coen-H

HSC
At the moment I am looking at doing the Cuban revolution. Something that interests me enough that I wont go crazy researching it constantly.

will90211

HSC
@History 101 - the teacher does not need to read the book. If the project is done well then any realtivley compedent student of history should manage to decipher it.

Please all remember that you may thoroughly enjoy your subject matter and may have a vast knowledge of it, but that (sadly) comes to nothing if you a) have a subject that is not steeped in debate and b) have no clear differences between the historians. Remember: NO content!! Otherwise, enjoy the most challenging yet rewarding courses the HSC has to offer!

deswa1

HSC
Wait can someone clarify someone for me out of curiosity:

1. The major work is marked completely internally? So the actual mark you get mean stuff all because they are all moderated according to performance in the final exam, ranks etc.
2. Is the final exam related at all to your major work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)