Imaginative Journey Question (1 Viewer)

passion89

HSC
'More than anything else, imaginative journeys are about the process of speculation'

How did you find the question?
I thought it was pretty indirect but in the end I mustered up some stuff about it not being so much speculation than interaction with the journey.

Did you guys argue against or for it?

ellejay145

HSC
I said that Some are about the process of speculation, but not all; some of my texts include an imaginative journey about what hasn't happened yet ie Journeys Over Sea and Land, whilst others were about things that have happened ie Frost at Midnight. Therefore if i was to use all my preparation, i had to say it was and it wasn't.

Atticus Ryan

beachbabe123
HSC
I tried to approach the 'speculation' issue via the idea of the 'thought process'.
I argued that every journey (that I had used) emphasised the importance in the speculation process as it leads to greater understanding at the conclusion of hte journey.
BLAH BLAH BLAH! Who cares, it can't be changed! We're donnne.

Lauren_Melrose

~Lauren~
HSC
I argued for, it just seemed easier that way and it made sure I didn't get caught up in a mess of opinions. Those who did "The Road not Taken" by Robert Frost would probably agree that speculation played a big role in the text so it was very easy to argue for.

j_a_m_e_s

Big Member
HSC
I just said speculation was not as important as my concepts of journey of self discovery and obstacles and opportunities. Basically said it was beneficial to speculate but you must take action, etc, etc.

N4FE

HSC
I said yes, they can be accesed throgh speculation, but imaginative journeys are much more, i.e you learn, and are changed....

It got me ten pages and I pretty much regurgitated my first assesment task heh....

ane_st

HSC
I did Ivory Trail to, i thinked i fucked the essay, i more used that as a core to my essay, but otherwise i think my essay is mainly for speculation... But they should have at least gave us a meaning for the word..

Just kinda the importance of the imaginative journey and also the importance of specultion... It was pretty gay...

sideshowtim

HSC
I used Wind in the Willows. Went down the path that Imaginative journeys were about transformation, that they were very personal and were about escaping the "real" world more than speculation. I could've used speculation too because of Wind in the Willows but it didn't quite fit in with the other texts I had.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
I argued for, and was cruising along brilliantly, and thought I had all my bases covered... until I realised it didn't really fit my ORT. This was on the 6th or so page, so I thought "stuff it" and kept writing.

It was a fairly broad question, but not a very stimulating one, as in, they need to write better questions.

ane_st

HSC
i agree, they shouldve worded the questions better.. I think they just wrote it like that to be different from the previous years.

floie

HSC
i argued against
i said something like "indeed the process of speculation is important, however, of more importance is the profound change brought about by the journey" and then just talked about change in all of my texts...referencing every now and then the speculative process as playing a role.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
ellejay145 said:
I said that Some are about the process of speculation, but not all; some of my texts include an imaginative journey about what hasn't happened yet ie Journeys Over Sea and Land, whilst others were about things that have happened ie Frost at Midnight. Therefore if i was to use all my preparation, i had to say it was and it wasn't.
I rang the HSC help line last night, with the 2004 essay question. I asked if I could say "it depends on the type of journey" but the teacher I spoke to said it's better to take a definite stance, rather than being "airy-fairy"

frankyd

starlight woo!
HSC
Well... I thought it was quite straightforward except extremely stupid in its limited focus. I argued that speculation was a significant element of the journey because it provokes all the other discoveries etc and reflection which leads to self development..

The only thing i'm angry about was - I had prepared 8 texts so I could write on any type of question but I didn't get to write on rime of the ancient mariner, kubla khan (coleridge), the town where time stands still or martin luther kings "i have a dream" because they didn't suit the question.

I was hoping that I could go:

Frost at midnight
Rime of the anicnet mariner
town where time..
I have a dream

but in the end i had to do
frost at midnight
lime tree bower
ivory trail
u2 beautiful day

My thesis was along the lines of:

Imaginative journeys are a means of self exploration and development inspired by the challenges of reality, offering a refreshing perspective on existence which empowers the individual. Providing an opportunity to transcend physical boundaries the journey instrinsically serves as an intense process of speculative reflection. This metaphysical process prompts the travellers personal transition to spiritual or emotional enlightenment. Contingent upon this heightened awareness the journey has the power to inspire a profound philosophy which redefines the individual. This notion of the journey as a process of speculation is evident in the prescribed poetic works of coleridge, the stimulus text "the ivory trail" and U2's "Beautiful Day".

I'm happy with the overall response, however I think in the thesis I could have more explicitly mentioned "the journey is a mulitdimensional process that inspires relfection and realisation THROUGH speculation."

What do you guys think?

aileenli

HSC
i went against the statement thingy coz the ruberic said something about IJ's taking us on the worlds of speculation, inspiration and fantasy........

OMG, i just realised i forgot the whole argument and blabbed about....

crap

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
ane_st said:
i agree, they shouldve worded the questions better.. I think they just wrote it like that to be different from the previous years.
I don't think they should've done that, because I looked at the past two hsc AOS papers, which are the only ones based on journeys, and thought "yup, this is how it's going to look" and based everything I did on that. Which meant I pretty much shot myself in the foot. Why oh why can't they have started journeys in 2005 and then we could've sat the equivalent of 2005, where the questions weren't based on INNER journeys and I could've written my hawt creative writing piece?

Woe is me.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
frankyd said:
The only thing i'm angry about was - I had prepared 8 texts so I could write on any type of question but I didn't get to write on rime of the ancient mariner, kubla khan (coleridge), the town where time stands still or martin luther kings "i have a dream" because they didn't suit the question.

I was hoping that I could go:

Frost at midnight
Rime of the anicnet mariner
town where time..
I have a dream

but in the end i had to do
frost at midnight
lime tree bower
ivory trail
u2 beautiful day

What do you guys think?
I think you're crazy.

Rinni

HSC
I argued that imagination and seperation from reality is more important as speculation didn't really fit any of my texts. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)