Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: julio claudians

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

Re: julio claudians

Quote Originally Posted by Danm999
    The question didn't really ask what happened in the Year of the Four Emperors at all, and if you know your material, you could answer it without even studying the period.

It was "WHY were there four Emperors". You only needed to talk about Nero's reign, the political instability it caused and some of the fundamental problems with the principae (ie, the power of military bodies, declining influence of the Senate etc).

You don't need to know the actions of Galba, Otho, Vitellus and Vespasian, because Civil War was made not by them, but those before them.

The question was very responsible, and an excellent way for students who could think critically and across the entire period to step up their responses.
    yeah - that's exactly how i took the question. it was asking why there were four emperors in the one year - it didn't say to explain, analyse or even outline the reign of those four emperors. it just asked why. so i did the same thing - wrote about the conditions set up by the julio-claudians - the power being taken away from the senate and being put into the hands of individuals and the praetorian guard. i went through each julio claudian and looked at the shift in power, and then said that this was why people were able to fight over Princeps - because the senate wasn't really in control anymore etc etc blah blah blah
    i'm glad you did it like that too though... because i wasn't so sure afterwards. i did breifly outline each princeps in the year of the 4 emperors but only at the start. so... YES.
    i liked the question. allowed lots of scope to reflect back on the entire period.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by pink668
    i chose question a, on tiberius- in terms of reforms and policies- i talked about the senate, building, political, administration, frontier, provincial, is that enough? post test worrying... what else should i have included?
    how many quotes did you guys include?
    Haha well im glad my notes could have been of use to you! i also did tiberius and talked about exactly what u said loL!

HSC

lol...u did the four emperors and didnt write about them . . . . . .hahahahaha i thought when they said, how did the julio claudians deal with succesion and what not, they emant the JULIO CLAUDIANS not galba the servii or vitellius the flavian or such. but i did get 96 so i think i went ok . . . . .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information