Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: julio claudians

HSC

julio claudians

for those of u who did julio claudians, how many of u picked the year of the four emperors question?

Cadet
    HSC

Re: julio claudians

19 people in my year did the Julio-Claudians and only one picked the Year of the Four Emperors question

Cadet
    HSC

Didn't do that one because I only had at least 3 or 4 paragrahs on it altogether because the whole part of nero and year of the four emperors our class had to do it ourselves. So lol that was all I found.

HSC

yes my class was pretty sure the year of the four emperors wasn't going to come up. haha...damn. my teacher gave us a sheet on it so we didn't really cover it all that well. everyone chose the other question. hey if u guys did that question which emperor did you choose. i was boring and chose good old Tiberius

Cadet
    HSC

I don't think anyone in my class did the year of the four emporers. I did Claudius. I think I knew enough about him but I didnt actually get all the info down in a very "together" way... damn. lol. Can't change it now though, did the best I could!

Cadet
    HSC

I did Claudius because it was basically the same question as the trial, for which I got 22/25. I managed to get 8 solid pages out, and I think I covered just about everything.

I wonder if anyone did Caligula?

HSC

i would have done caligula, he rocked! but mainly knew about his flaws rather than his policies n such. i did claudius and used gaius tho as a start off for claudius fixing the stuff he f*kd up. eg, ag reforms, army etc.

we only have 4 in our class. all did question a) as we didnt really do anything on the 4 emperors.. only really vespasian.

anyone watch the mini series on nero on last week on SBS?
    -HSC 2006 -
    Ancient History, Modern History, Advanced English, General Maths, Biology

Cadet
    HSC

I used Gaius as a basis for many of Claudius' reforms as well, such as how he changed Gaius' policy regarding client-kingdoms and stuff. There isn't really enough information on Caligula to do a 25 mark essay on him.

HSC

Everyone at my school did a) coz our teacher said they never ask about the four emporers so we didnt do it lol lucky there was an option. i did tiberius for mine i took awhile to decide coz i knew about the same amount on all of them, which wasnt much lol but i think itll suffice
    LUV NIK xxx

drunk and confused.. my prefered state of mind

HSC

I agree, i did Nero and i think i did ok but the ideas were a bit scrambled. I think only one or two people in our class did the year of the 4 emporers, we had done an essay on it though....

HSC

man i was heaps surprised there was a yr4emp question...my teacher told us there almost 100 percent wouldnt be..how wrong
    no themes question either?
    Did all my study on Claudius...hoping there would be a princeps question and highly doubted it would be Gaius or Tiberius leaving a 50 percent chance of getting claudius or nero :P
    Awesome question...defintely best fit by Claudius

HSC

i chose the year of the four emperors, because i didnt think i could write a flowing, sustained response on an individual emperor.

even though it was an 'explain' question which is deemed easier than the 'assess', i think both questions were pretty equal. for those of you who did the year of the four emperors in detail, was your main source wiedemann?

Artiste Extraordinaire
    HSC

I did Tiberius' reforms and how he was too much of a coward to try to do anything other than be Augustus. I had predicted that they wouldn't do year of the four emperors. A mate of mine did the AD 69 one, but apparently talked about how the circumstances came about that Nero would be killed off and there'd be no Julian to replace him: basically how the civil war started, not just describing how Galba came and went, then Otho, etc etc.

How did everyone else attack that one?

HSC

i followed my essay plan i wrote three weeks ago:
    - Nero's provincial problems -> revolts
    - problems of succession because of annihilation of senatorial class
    - galba- fails cos doesnt have support of praetorians
    - otho- fails cos doesnt have support of rhine legions
    - vitellius- fails cos doesnt have support of the provincial armies in the east (Vespasian's)
    - Vespasian successful- avoiding problems plagued his predecessors, and able to establish Flavian dynasty.

HSC

i was tossing up between claudius and tiberius. i now realise i could have written more about claudius. i really really wanted to write about caligula (Rome's greatest emperor) but he didn't have and policies or reforms worth mentioning...did he have any...i dont think so too busy committing incest, making his horse consul and executing ppl.

HSC
    N/A

I chose the Year of the 4 Emperors question. I knew my stuff but wrote a crap essay because I couldn't remember half the things. I knew more about this than the other question which made me feel better. I basically wrote a crap version of what atreus said above.

Our teacher used to be a HSC marker and being an extremely knowledgeable person on ancient history, the course and how HSC markers worked was very certain they'd ask about the Year of the 4 Emperors. His reason was that it was the 1st year it was introduced into the course and that because it is only a small time frame most teachers wouldn't bother teaching it.

Cadet
    HSC

i chose question a, on tiberius- in terms of reforms and policies- i talked about the senate, building, political, administration, frontier, provincial, is that enough? post test worrying... what else should i have included?
    how many quotes did you guys include?

HSC

Out of 20 in my class, only one did the year of the 4 emperors question....I did claudius- it was pretty good. Did anyone watch the Nero miniseries last weekend? It was fantastic for revision....

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen
    Our teacher used to be a HSC marker and being an extremely knowledgeable person on ancient history, the course and how HSC markers worked was very certain they'd ask about the Year of the 4 Emperors. His reason was that it was the 1st year it was introduced into the course and that because it is only a small time frame most teachers wouldn't bother teaching it.
    my teacher also said that, having marked ancient for ages. i dont know why other teachers thought it wouldnt be examined?

HSC

maybe because its called 'rome in time of the julio claudians' and not the flavians or whatever that dynasty was lol, we just didn't learn about it. i expected a general trend question as well, like on the senate or army.
    i did claudius: talked about his centralised bureaucracies, frontier policy and provincial policy in relation to the other emperors...my assessment was that he was efficient but easily influenced...
    i used about 4 or 5 quotes and paraphrased/name dropped quite a bit because my teacher said i needed to mention more historians - hope they don't pick up on that too much but they probably will lol.

Cadet
    HSC

The question didn't really ask what happened in the Year of the Four Emperors at all, and if you know your material, you could answer it without even studying the period.

It was "WHY were there four Emperors". You only needed to talk about Nero's reign, the political instability it caused and some of the fundamental problems with the principae (ie, the power of military bodies, declining influence of the Senate etc).

You don't need to know the actions of Galba, Otho, Vitellus and Vespasian, because Civil War was made not by them, but those before them.

The question was very responsible, and an excellent way for students who could think critically and across the entire period to step up their responses.

HSC

[quote=Danm999]The question didn't really ask what happened in the Year of the Four Emperors at all, and if you know your material, you could answer it without even studying the period.

It was "WHY were there four Emperors". You only needed to talk about Nero's reign, the political instability it caused and some of the fundamental problems with the principae (ie, the power of military bodies, declining influence of the Senate etc).

You don't need to know the actions of Galba, Otho, Vitellus and Vespasian, because Civil War was made not by them, but those before them.[
    /quote]

i think the question demanded that you not only provide reasons for nero's demise, but also for the demise of each of galba, otho and vitellius. vespasian's sucess would also have to be discussed to completely answer the question.

Cadet
    HSC

[quote=atreus]
    Quote Originally Posted by Danm999
    The question didn't really ask what happened in the Year of the Four Emperors at all, and if you know your material, you could answer it without even studying the period.

You don't need to know the actions of Galba, Otho, Vitellus and Vespasian, because Civil War was made not by them, but those before them.[
    /quote]

i think the question demanded that you not only provide reasons for nero's demise, but also for the demise of each of galba, otho and vitellius. vespasian's sucess would also have to be discussed to completely answer the question.
    There is only so much, about a paragraph or two say, you can intelligently mention about that. And I'd probably avoid it. The question seems to be looking more for a cause of the entire period, rather than a blow by blow. The fact that Vespasian was a successful commander is not the reason there was 4 Emperors, thats simply why the Flavian dynasty was established.

There was 4 Emperors because there was a Civil War with no clear line of sucession. The seeds of the civil war had been sown long before them (sorry for the corny metaphor). Had there been a regular sucession, there would not have been 4 Emperors.

Once Nero died it was a free for all and every legionary commander gave it a shot. But the real reasons for the Year of the 4 Emperors, and WHY there were 4 Emperors, is because of a break in the sucession line by Nero and principate problems.

I mean, one can write, Galba fell because Otho beat his army, who got beaten by Vitellius, who troops loyal to Vespasian dealth with, but this answer has no real flesh.

HSC

i think that u could write a felshy essay on the year of the four emperors, especially if referring to wiedemann's view. he compares each of the three emperor's failures to that of Nero, and then ultimately Vespasian's successes were as a result of his avoiding the problems that plagued nero. so really, u could mention all of vespasian's success as a comparison, and also to demonstrate that vespasian's success meant that there were only four emperors and not a fifth emperor. well thats the way i took it. i tried to avoid writing a 'consequences of the death of nero' essay.

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by atreus
    i think that u could write a felshy essay on the year of the four emperors, especially if referring to wiedemann's view. he compares each of the three emperor's failures to that of Nero, and then ultimately Vespasian's successes were as a result of his avoiding the problems that plagued nero. so really, u could mention all of vespasian's success as a comparison, and also to demonstrate that vespasian's success meant that there were only four emperors and not a fifth emperor. well thats the way i took it. i tried to avoid writing a 'consequences of the death of nero' essay.
    I suppose it's really how you interpret the question, and your views on whether or not the actions of the Julio-Claudians caused an environment where the Civil War of the 4 Emperors was inevitable, or whether it was largely the actions of the men in that year who meant there would be Civil War.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information