Option: Geophysics (1 Viewer)

cjwrighty25

Look Out HSC! Here I come
HSC
There is 2 questions i want to ask.

First, How many people did geophysics in this exam?
And
Secondly, for those people who did that question in the exam, How did you go about doing (Part D II), because i had no idea on even how to start it, just wondering if anyone else had the same problem

Thanks for any feedback

CJWrighty

cjwrighty25

HSC
Larryman said:
ya i did geo, was dII the calculating continental drift? if so i got about 7.2 mm/yr, can explain if you want. im pretty sure im right
Yea, it is then spreading rate of the ocean question. It completely through me. I had never seen anything like it before. If you can give me some information on how u did it, it would be great.

Larryman

somewhere secluded from the outside world
HSC
ok if this is how i remember it...
you correlate the magnetic reversals on the time scale with those on the distance/flux scale. ie where the flux goes from +ve to -ve is the reversal on the distance scale, and the reversal on time is the point where the +ve meets -ve.

using v=d/t the rest is simple... the only difficulty is interpreting the data, those 3 time things put me off i must say

cjwrighty25

HSC
Larryman said:
ok if this is how i remember it...
you correlate the magnetic reversals on the time scale with those on the distance/flux scale. ie where the flux goes from +ve to -ve is the reversal on the distance scale, and the reversal on time is the point where the +ve meets -ve.

using v=d/t the rest is simple... the only difficulty is interpreting the data, those 3 time things put me off i must say
Yea those three graphs really put me off, i had no idea how they actually related to the question. Ah well...its over now so it doesnt matter :D

YaY no more physics :p

Larryman

somewhere secluded from the outside world
HSC
wells im pretty confidant with the whole thing, about 90+ % im hoping, but im glad the fuckers over, the best feeling... except finishing english... nothing rivaled that

but yeah you didnt have my physics teacher...

hi sir, i know your trolling this like a keen angler, enjoying what you see?:p

smile4me

HSC
yeah i did geo, i alsi used speed or spreading rate = distance/ time getting the distance and time from the diagrams. geophysics was the best part of the exam :)

Petinga

HSC
for that 7 marker question about advancements in geophysics did you write about principal geophysical methods such as seismic methods and gravitational methods and wat they hav shown about earth and advanced our knowledge?????

also the reason for the curved path for waves was because earths properties such as density, shear and bulk modulas change with depth leading to curved path from origin to detection point. Is that right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)