king lear content (1 Viewer)

raekwon

could someone please clarify what we must mention in the king lear question?

- do we talk about at least 2 productions/interpretations regardless of what the question says? i mean i have seen some questions that do not state how many productions we much mention and i have seem some other questions that make no reference to productions at all :confused: (such as:

"image you are directing a performance of king lear and you have a particular reading of the play. Explain to the people playing the roles of the women in the play how you would like them to represent these characters to reflect the reading you have chosen. Make sure you refer in detail to specific scenes")

ok in that example should we talk about other readings/productions apart from your reading?

*tasha*

I think the best thing to do is just study the productions that you are studying in class and maybe even other productions that have been created over the years and know them in the back of your head in case the question tells you to include productions. I'm not sure if it's a necessity.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by raekwon
"image you are directing a performance of king lear and you have a particular reading of the play. Explain to the people playing the roles of the women in the play how you would like them to represent these characters to reflect the reading you have chosen. Make sure you refer in detail to specific scenes")

ok in that example should we talk about other readings/productions apart from your reading?
No, you would talk about it using a feminist reading.

You can talk about the eye-gouging scene where it reflects the role of women, role reversals, female dominance, etc.

do we talk about at least 2 productions/interpretations regardless of what the question says?
The question will be based around values and readings/interpretations, as it is King Lear and it's reception in a range of contexts.

By talking about the various productions you have seen, as well as your own readings, you will have to extrapolate questions of textual integrity.

That is basically the 'gist' of Module B/King Lear. :)

destroyx

well, you can use your other readings/productions and explain how they inform your own reading. it doesn't necessarily mean it has to be a feminist reading...

Nupil

HSC
N/A
A feminist reading though would be considered the easiest, doesn't have to be the one done.

If you were doing Family Drama you could speak about daughters being plaed off one another as sisters and favourtism - and how you would play up their roles as daughters/sisters (And I'm not doing family drama, so correct me if the actually specifics I'm saying are wrong)... but the concern of this question is how - because you would as the director, have to consider proxemics, language focus varying degrees of emphasis, particular aspects ommitted or altered.

... atleast that's what I think the concern would be. Naturally knowing the reading first and foremost - but how that would affect the actual play you're directing, particularly since the last sentence expects you to depict specific scenes

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I never did anything to do with feminism. I was a powerplay girl :)
Feminism enters into the context of power, though, so I could always mention it.

You would use other productions to point out how other directors HAVE done or COULD do an interpretation of your reading. For example, you could make some comment about the madness-in-the-storm scene and then mention that some production or other had some special effects which enhanced the storm, thus placing emphasis on *blah*.

I would make sure that I do make reference to at least two productions. One is too few, giving the impression that you haven't really researched your topic area, zero is proof that you haven't really researched your topic area, and anything more than three or four may not give you time to go into enough detail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)