Donne (1 Viewer)

beebeez

can someone please tell me how to study for Donne

i mean do i need to memorise all the poems line by line

plus all the critics???????????????

5p133n

Just a quick reply, you're probably best off to only learn three or four of the poems at best. You should try at least know roughly what all the prescribed poems are about, and be able to discuss them in general terms, but mostly you should just be able to discuss specifics in 4 or so poems. Read and know critics of the poems for quoting, but mostly just be able to break down each poem you know and discuss each element (theme, language use, music, tone, imagery, etc.) Hope that helps.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Its a depth-study of John Donne so the context (which ever BOS person wrote the English syllabus favourite word) is really important, you need to be able to explain why Donne wrote what he did, your opinion and other critics. Things like his forbidden marrige to his wife, his converstion and his fear of death are important, but only if you can relate them to his poetry. You also need to know the social/histoical context.
I am just picking 2 of his love poems and 2 of his religious poems to learn quotes from and what critics thought of them.
My teacher seems to think (and she marked this section last year) that it is really important to have your own opinion on Donne as well.

beebeez

thanks alot people! =)

but with context, i'm just thinking if you really need to relate to his poems because these poems are basically written in the views of a persona so really we can't say for sure that Donne actually wrote it because of his own experiences.

btw reckon Gardener is a good critic to do??:p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yes thats a good idea
2 religious and 2 love is perfect
and yeah, how those poems were influenced by his own context

beebeez

yeah...exactly what i'm thinking....

but i've read some articles on it so some critics are actually explaining how it relates.....

anyone got some good critical notes??

if u want my i can swap....=)

beebeez

btw does anyone have any good study sites or notes for area of study becuase i am so dead for that....

there is NOTHING on the net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
lol

check the Resources section of this site
they have various notes on AOS
but depends wat prescribed text u are doin too i guess

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
JD

U have to memorise lne by line and ALL crictics!! Get out of here!

Remeber 3 cricitics: Johnson, Eliot and Gardener (Helen Gardener provides a feminist view (??).

Choose 2 love and 2 religois.

With me, i have 3 under my belt: Sune rising (love), batter my heart (relg) and valediction(love). Thoes 3 are the easist in terms of abundance of techniqes and easy to remember quotes

pulse

meh

i dont care just read it all...

the best information you could possibly get is from the syllabus. this is what it says to do for donne. if you can do all that ...she'll be right

Module B: Critical Study of Texts

This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students understanding of questions of textual integrity.

Students explore the ideas expressed in the text through analysing its construction, content and language. They examine how particular features of the text contribute to textual integrity. They research others perspectives of the text and test these against their own understanding and interpretations of the text. Students discuss and evaluate the ways in which the set work has been read, received and valued in historical and other contexts. They extrapolate from this study of a particular text to explore questions of textual integrity and significance.

Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the study of their specific text. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

pulse

meh

no i dont care about those who dont want to read the sillybus. so i got the only useful peice out and gave it to you
and i know how to spell syllabus

ice_cream

wow..so many people doing donne...
i seriously don't like this topic...but since how everyone's doing it...
can someone help me with critics?
such as how many critics do i need to study... and how in depth..
would anyone have critics notes?
i can swap mine if you want...

p00_p00

Hey can any1 help me???

I need some stuff on The Relique for a speech on Monday

Any help would b appreciated (mainly an analysis of the poem and stuff on metaphysical conceit on it etc)

Thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)