AOS - Section 2 (1 Viewer)

Morgues

Is there anything we need to know for the creative writing part?
Such as definition of change or anything?

My teacher said to just concentrate on the purpose, audience and context which are provided

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your teacher is right - however, your writing should also develop some kind of concept or idea about change, and show that you have gained certain insights pertaining to change.

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
what could they ask you to do for the 'creative' part in terms of text types?
hehe, i usually skip that section when im doing practice papers

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Don't skip it - it's good practice!

They can ask you to write in any text type. It could simply be a short story, or diary entries (CSSA trial 2001), or a letter, or an interview, or they could let you choose.

It's not restricted to a specific 'set' of text types. You need to know how to write all of them.

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
argh the creative response bit makes me anxious
whats the criteria for marking? i mean, they cant base it all on the 'creativity' element or the success of the dynamics established in the response. would most weight be given to development of concepts of change? or is it equal distribution of marks?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Half the marking would be evaluating your ability to write that specific sort of text type, the language you use, appropriate target audience et cetera and the other half would be how deep your concept of change is and how well you develop that through your text.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I am going to try and write a few creative responces about change that i can use in the trials and the hsc, at least in draft form, cause the last thing you want is to sit in there wasting half your time cause you cant think of anything to write about...i am sure almost everyone can identify...

shinsetsu

I kinda work better under pressure... ^_^
But there was a point mentioned above about knowing your text type/structure. You wouldn't want to lose marks, or even get stuck on writing using the correct structure ^_^ I'd rather be spending my time thinking of my creative part of the creative task, rather than the systematic part, in which you shouldn't need to worry about in the exam (you don't have the time to ^_^).

I believe that our answer should demonstrate a good understanding of change, and that you show it clearly in the task. You should also work up a bit of flair in your writing ^_^ If you're not confident in writing a good piece in an exam, maybe you can do what smegger~san *points above* is doing and practice your creative respones ^_^ Either way, practise does make perfect... so just do the work now, and then go into the exam knowing that you have done the work... and all you need to do, is show it off ^_^

take care

sif not 99

My teacher told us to make sure the story isn't too depressing with people abusing drugs, alcohol and not to include sexual liasons. Dont have heavy philisophical thought in relation to change in the text because it is creative after all, and the reader is meant to be able to see the theme shining through I suppose, therefore that could be part of the marking criteria, as well as how well it is written I guess.

|_wise_|

good advice ^^^

argh the creative response bit makes me anxious
i would have to agree with Lexie on that one....I hate the uncertainty of the english papers...and the creative writing is one of the more concerning for me...

and thanks for the advice sif...i will keep those things in mind....they sound very useful...

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Hey, anyone doing HSC or has finished HSC,
do you have any tips on getting the ideas for the creative writing and extended response?
Thats where all my times goes, thinking of and idea. Once i get the idea, the writing starts to flow.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Before the exam, think up some scenarios that would work well, and then pick from those when you get the question.

You can pick scenes from your 4u major work (if you're doing it), or from stories you've written in the past, or from past assessment tasks, wherever.

Create a few characters that you could put into any situation and then practice writing them into random situations (and from different points of view).

things that make you go

Originally posted by sif not 99
Dont have heavy philisophical thought in relation to change in the text because it is creative after all, and the reader is meant to be able to see the theme shining through I suppose, therefore that could be part of the marking criteria, as well as how well it is written I guess.
please explain...
does this still apply if you know exactly where youre going and what point youre trying to make?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I think what he means is that you shouldn't have paragraphs of philosophical ideas scattered throughout your piece. Instead, those thoughts and notions should be visible through the actions of the characters you create and the scenes you portray.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)