My own sample exam responses (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
D

d00d

correct me if i'm wrong, but in john donne aren't u suppose to analyse the same poem in two different contexts, thus giving different interpretations (thats what the rubric says). the file u have uploaded is just a dominant reading of the poems.

what i was expecting for the love poetry for example is an interpretation that believes it shows the persona's great love for his partner while a gender perspective think its all sexist,etc.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
no thats just one tract
going down that path is fairly narrow in my opinion
remember, u are giving your own opinions in your essay, an opinion that is explained through examples of techniques. However u dont simply dismiss different readings on the poetry, and I have incorporated the idea where changing contexts and hence values, have an affect on the value of his poetry - using different readings over time.

I'm not too sure about your 'comparison' style approach, because I never used it at all - but if its been getting u good marks this year, u can't complain :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey, minai...when u memorised and adopt the essays to the question, is there like a certain method that u used, to make your prepared essay suite the question?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey, minai...when u memorised and adopt the essays to the question, is there like a certain method that u used, to make your prepared essay suite the question?
Kinda...u need to have a quick mind, a deep understanding of your modules, and superior english skill basically. I wrote those essays in anticipation of broad questions in the HSC, which is what I got, so basically I just adjusted my introductions a bit to suit what they were asking - the content remains the same.

However for Module B, where it was a conversation - I jus wrote the content of my essay out, where one person was talking about one side of my argument, and the other talking about an opposing side - the content remained the same.

So I guess it just comes down to your ability to write english and the speed at which your mind can react to the situation (since u dont have a lot of time to think in this exam)

swangal

hmm...hey can u tell me how much can an average person write under the 40 min time limit?? i.e how big should my prepared essay b?
i can spin 6 or so pages out (depending on how well i kno the topic) but most others in my class do about 4 1/2..so 4-5 pgs i guess

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by swangal
i can spin 6 or so pages out (depending on how well i kno the topic) but most others in my class do about 4 1/2..so 4-5 pgs i guess
yeah, everyone is telling me page wise, but i wanna know word wise...i.e how long should my prepared essay be?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, everyone is telling me page wise, but i wanna know word wise...i.e how long should my prepared essay be?
U have to figure that out yourself - prepare a few essays and write them under exam conditions (ie 40 mins), to see how much u can actually write in that time frame - and watever that amount is should be how long ur essay must be. u cannot force urself to write faster if u cant.

Originally posted by Daedalus
minai: can you please give us your creative writing one as well?
hehe...well, I'd have to go to the boardofstudies and request my exam paper from them or something...coz that's one thing u really shouldnt prepare - its fairly easy anyway

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Lazarus
Hmmmm... perhaps we should make arrangements...
Bribing current students to test this? hehe

Originally posted by Ringo
Did your teacher ever say that half the essay was meant to be on the core text? Ours always have and so most of it is. What mark did you get for that essay? (If I may ask without seeming imprudent)
No, since it doesnt really matter - as long as your main argument links together well with the texts u have done. But of course your prescribed text will more likely take up more of your essay - it doesnt necessarily have to be half of it - it can be integrated into your essay as u "link back to ur prescribed text"
incidently, I got 13/15 for that in the trials...and used it again in the HSC

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Looking at previous questions from the "Transformations" module, it's pretty safe to prepare a pre-made essay, With a general outlined argument in the back of your mind, so that your argument doesnt get mixed up with the question...

Im a bit sceptical of learning other Modules off by heart (like a pre made essay)

N

ND

Originally posted by HannieStar
I try to memorise them but i can't- how are people doing it?
Read a sentence, say it in your head, read the next sentence, say both sentences in your head, read third sentence, repeat all 3 sentences in your head... you get the idea. After you've done one paragraph, start over with the next one. After you know all your paragraphs, memorise their order. Simple as that.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
I try to memorise them but i can't- how are people doing it?
another way i do is to read it out on an audio tape...and then just listen to it. also memorise by sentences not words...that'll b much easier. also for me i can only memorise in certain times of the day, late night...

also don't forget to learn how to manipulate ya essays to suite the question and text type, by doin' lots of practice.

what did you end up getting for english in the hsc
he got 93 exam mark, i'll die for that mark. :eek:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ND
Read a sentence, say it in your head, read the next sentence, say both sentences in your head, read third sentence, repeat all 3 sentences in your head... you get the idea. After you've done one paragraph, start over with the next one. After you know all your paragraphs, memorise their order. Simple as that.
Hmm..the way I did was to write the whole essay out multiple times...I'd keep wrting the essay (under exam conditions, 40 mins) over and over, until I didnt need to look at the specimen essay anymore

N

ND

Originally posted by Minai
Hmm..the way I did was to write the whole essay out multiple times...I'd keep wrting the essay (under exam conditions, 40 mins) over and over, until I didnt need to look at the specimen essay anymore
But didn't you find that it took an unnecessarily long time? I mean, you'd have to write it a few times to make sure you can do it in 40 mins, but writing takes alot longer than thinking.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
You think 8 times faster then you write.

Thought I'd throw in a random piece of trivia ...

and I don't believe in memorising essay, I learn points. Everything is a dot-point of a dot-point in my head.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by ND
But didn't you find that it took an unnecessarily long time? I mean, you'd have to write it a few times to make sure you can do it in 40 mins, but writing takes alot longer than thinking.
lol...well yes
it took me 6 days to memorise those 4 essays (about 6 hours of writing everyday, and about 2 hours more spent reading the actual texts and notes relating to them)

jaNetix

heya minai
do u write each essay eg in the change one, u write a seperate paragraph on each text...are me meant to mis em all up?
wouldnt that be a 'sophisticated' answer?

thanks 4 the stuff !!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by babydoll_
Thanks for the stuff Minai; the 1984 is really useful. Cheers
no probs :)

Originally posted by jaNetix
heya minai
do u write each essay eg in the change one, u write a seperate paragraph on each text...are me meant to mis em all up?
wouldnt that be a 'sophisticated' answer?
Yep you're right - the better responses would integrate the texts more..however I found I couldn't do this properly with the amount of time (40mins) - so I guess for me it was neater to do it that way..I think I related the texts within my paragraphs though (ie I'd only talk about concepts that were present in the other texts kinda thing)

Paroissien

HSC
This is a bit of an old thread, but ahh well. Were you answering a specific question when you wrote these essays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)