Lear HSC Questions dont follow the syllabus (1 Viewer)

avazzi21

How do they expect us to be able to answer some of the HSC questions, the way they make it specific to certain issues or readings some years seems to restrict which productions you can use, sure we are expected to learn a few, but what if some people happen to have not learnt the particular one they ask about, surely if the syllabus doesnt specify which ones we have to learn shouldnt the questions have to be general enough to allow for any productions or readings to be used?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
They can't specify a particular production - for the reason you've just pointed out. However, they can ask you to refer to productions (which includes both real and imagined).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
if u mean the chaos and order thing - that can be any production. show how chaos and order are shown through marxist, familial, whatever else

i know what you mean, but mould what u have to suit the question

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
The idea isn't to know readings, but to know how readings can be applied to productions (from memory, anyway)

sunken eyes

HSC
your meant to have read just about everything to do with lear, bar the play. you've gotta know critics, readings, productions, but the text itself? who cares?

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
thats absolutely wrong. you need to be able to suppport EVERYTHING you say with evidence FROM the play... if you just say that "this is a marxist interpretation" and then dont give support then thats crap.

avazzi21

Originally posted by Lazarus
They can't specify a particular production - for the reason you've just pointed out. However, they can ask you to refer to productions (which includes both real and imagined).
We got a question in our trial that was very biased though, as it asked you to specifically talk obout the women's roles, so everyone who had done feminism found it very easy while the rest of us had to do a lot more bs to fit our productions to the question, e.g. myself and marxism, a lot of the practice questons you read seem to be similar, they are biased to a particular reading, i mean ill be fine if the question relates to power, but if its focueses on the women its more difficult

Gamine

Originally posted by avazzi21
We got a question in our trial that was very biased though, as it asked you to specifically talk obout the women's roles, so everyone who had done feminism found it very easy while the rest of us had to do a lot more bs to fit our productions to the question, e.g. myself and marxism, a lot of the practice questons you read seem to be similar, they are biased to a particular reading, i mean ill be fine if the question relates to power, but if its focueses on the women its more difficult
I doubt the question will be as specific as to get you to assess the role of women and ONLY women (our school used the catholic trial -I think- and it was about the theme of power and the loss of power or something like that. Pretty broad).
BUT if it IS as specific as to focus on one small role (such as women), you should still be able to talk about the group in terms of how a Marxist/Freudian/Traditional/whatever reading protrays women (or whatever group it is).
In other words... You have to remember that no matter what readings you have done, they will all deal with all aspects of the play.
Hmm... really hope that's useful :)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by sunken eyes
your meant to have read just about everything to do with lear, bar the play. you've gotta know critics, readings, productions, but the text itself? who cares?
you do have to know the play, you have to show how it was shown in the play to begin with, what allowed it to have the particular interpretation

chip

HSC
yeh i've seen question where they ask you talk about a specific intrepretation and to discuss whether your version of the play would fit into this

you can always answer either way tho as long as you have evidence to support your ideas

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
if u mean the chaos and order thing - that can be any production. show how chaos and order are shown through marxist, familial, whatever else

i know what you mean, but mould what u have to suit the question
yeah true, also remember that as part of the syllabus u need thorough knowledge of the themes and characters and also how they are portrayed in your reading.

Dangar

Originally posted by avazzi21
We got a question in our trial that was very biased though, as it asked you to specifically talk obout the women's roles, so everyone who had done feminism found it very easy while the rest of us had to do a lot more bs to fit our productions to the question

I had exactly the same question and the same problem!! Cos I had read a bit about each reading but I had prepared Existentialist and Family Drama as my two readings, and as a result I didn't have many quotes from the women at all, and I lost marks because I couldn't go into depth on the characterisation. It was really disappointing, but I'll be better prepared for the HSC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)