Using "+" instead of "'and" (1 Viewer)

Matt200

Ive seen this techniqe of using a + instead of an "and" in a few past exam responses...i guess its ok becuse of the fact those resposes were band 6 but do you thinks its ok to do

RJ

HSC
I know what you mean - I've always been discouraged against it, but when push comes to shove I really don't think that the markers will penalize you for it - as long as you're still providing an answer

ssj_goku

Its fine to do that in a response, same with shortening the text (e.g. Brave New World to BNW).:)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ive always been told not to use abbreviations

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
ive always been told not to use abbreviations
yeah not for english - but for subjects like bio and physics and stuff - it doesnt matter (thats what my teachers told me anyway)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Are we allowed to do that? Coz I am not writing Rosencrantz AND Guildenstern over and over.

s2ophie

HSC
instead of '+' i would tend to think '&' is probably more acceptable but i doubt they will really care as long as its legible!

HannieStar

They do care- its based on grammar and spelling along with content for english- i just aksed my mum (teacher) and she said not to do it under any circumstances. Plus, if you have a real stickler for rules for a marker you can lose marks for not underlining you texts etc...

scottish_lass

In those 'Standards Packages' heaps of Band 6 responses do use abbreviations. There are often many spelling mistakes...They are mainly interested in structure and language ability, not pedantic things like using a '+'.

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ssj_goku
Its fine to do that in a response, same with shortening the text (e.g. Brave New World to BNW).:)
I think you would have to specify intially what the abbreviation/acronym is, ie Brave New World (BNW) then you can use BNW for the rest of the essay :)

chip

HSC
yeh heaps use + but i reckon use and its just better writing skills

starlyte

i guess its ok if u write the whole thing first then put it in brakets. like say.... Rosencrants and Guildernstern are dead (RAGAD).
i guess its ok.....i always do that, and my eng teacher used to mark for HSC and he said it was ok, as long as u do that. oh and you HAVE to underline the titles!!!!!

ssj_goku

Originally posted by narrator
it's not fine, in fact it's poor grammer, especially for adv students. the only reason ppl get away with it is because their work can't be faulted elsewhere.
Thats not true. As long as you make what you are referring to clear at first (obviously) then there really is no problem. Its not saying that you spit on the English language and all its conventions, its simply saying that you'd like to maximise the amount of relevant info. Also if it were a problem, then it would be a problem regardless of the quality of their work. And furthermore, the only time you really should be using this is if your work is of such a standard that you really do need to achieve a higher level of efficiency, in which case you should get away with it as you yourself said and there should be no problem. But ultimately you just gotta ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Antisocial

Our teacher told us never to use "+" in an essay. She gets really upset whenever we do it too, being "anti-mathematics" and all. :rolleyes:

ssj_goku

it's got nothing to do with maximising info + whether it is accepted or not for test purposes by convention is one thing + the issue over whether it is acceptable is another + in reality you are spitting on english conventions.

if you can't fit everything that should be within the given time limit without using +s, then your work really isn't of the high standard that you think it is
You think I'd have better things in life to do than carry this on, but I don't so here's my reply.
So far I have been mainly speaking about contractions in text titles as opposed to +'s (Although the same arguments should apply-just that title contractions save alot more time). At any rate, you seem to have changed the issue to whether or not its an acceptable English convention as opposed to whether or not its accepted by the BOS. Its acceptability by the BOS IS the main issue, and past results (which are really the only solid facts to go on) have shown they are. Furthermore, you seem to have the idea that the people who need to use these can't really have work of a high standard. Its not about need, its about maximising your time, something very important when you want to get in more than three pages. Even if you don't do maths, surely you could realise that a second here, a second here= a bunch more seconds.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
whats everyone doing for ros and guil? full name first and then ros and guil after that or is anyone using r and g?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
it's not fine, in fact it's poor grammer, especially for adv students. the only reason ppl get away with it is because their work can't be faulted elsewhere.
mate its GRAMAH!!! and its peepz!! not this ppl crap!!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ssj_goku
... better things in life ...
HAHAHHAH OMFG THAT IS 0wned!!! and i dont think he meant to hahahahahah!! :D

personal jk guys

ssj_goku

Originally posted by AsyLum
mate its GRAMAH!!! and its peepz!! not this ppl crap!!
d00d 175 411 4b0u7 741k1ng l337 5p34|<. 17 53p4r4735 7|-|3 k3w1 p30p13 fr0m 7h3 14m3rz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)