What to write instead of "In conclusion"? (1 Viewer)

D

d00d

"in conclusion" seems overused, are there any other more sophisticated ways of summing up an essay?

Huy

HSC
N/A
My one:

'In recapitulation' :D

In closing,
In summary,

In conclusion would be your best bet though.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
yeah 0 "By exploring the contexts of X and Y, it can be seen that *insert arguement here*"
is that all u need for a conclusion??...thats what i did and my teacher was full on going off at me for that.:eek:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ballerinabarbie
nah you'd need more than that for a conclusion.. but you can use that line for the last line of a paragraph to link it back to the question
so can u spell out 4 me what exactly i need 4 a conclusion?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok it's basically summing up the points that you have covered in each of your paragraphs... you don't want to give any new information, but you also don't want to be repetitive

it should probably be about 4-6 sentences

oh and link it back to the question!!

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ballerinabarbie
ok it's basically summing up the points that you have covered in each of your paragraphs... you don't want to give any new information, but you also don't want to be repetitive

it should probably be about 4-6 sentences

oh and link it back to the question!!
hmm...thatas what everyone says, but is there an easier way...like i heard one person say just put the first sentences of each paragraph in the body...is this true?:eek:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I've always tried to use a rephrase of my argument.. such as "the effects of change are many and varied, positive and negative. the text shows that..' or something to that effect.

you don't have to actually point out that it's a conclusion since they really should see that it's the last paragraph, but oh well..

Dangar

Originally posted by anti
you don't have to actually point out that it's a conclusion since they really should see that it's the last paragraph, but oh well..
I agree, I've never said in conclusion or anything like that. I skip a line or two between each of my paragraphs in exams so that if i think of something more to write i can go back to that space, and if not.. it's much easier for the examiners to see the structure of it. so anyway it's fairly obvious it's the last paragraph and i usually just restate my texts and my main argument.

Hotdog1

Yummmmmmmmmm...
HSC
Just write what you would normally write without the words in conclusion.

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
my history teacher back in yr8 said the worst thing you can put in an essay is something like "in conclusion" or "in summary". it sounds bad. its obvious that youre ending your essay, so dont treat the marker like a moron with something like "in conclusion". that was his argument and i agree. i just refer to the question or something and conclude it, rather than saying "im about to finish". basically what dangar said above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)