Creative writing down the drain (1 Viewer)

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I am kind of stressing out about my creative writing section for Paper 1 next week. No matter what I do I always average a 8/15 and I always get the comment "cliched". I have a few story ideas in my head and one even written out... do you think that would be enough? Any tips people I'm desperate!!

ssj_goku

Originally posted by SmokedSalmon
I am kind of stressing out about my creative writing section for Paper 1 next week. No matter what I do I always average a 8/15 and I always get the comment "cliched". I have a few story ideas in my head and one even written out... do you think that would be enough? Any tips people I'm desperate!!
I like to have a scenario to use as well. I generally find that the more cliched you're inspiration is, the more cliched the scenario turns out. Try to look around on the net or TV for some interesting stories/ facts to inspire you. Also I found it helpful to focus on creating a character, which can use alot of different scenarios to fit the question. For instance, I once made myself a writer for foreign correspondant and did a piece based on a story they did on a town in Japan in which killer bees are considered a delicacy. :D

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Cliches are things that everybody would write about, so work on something that people won't write about. Work on developing an idea which is innovative, exciting, or different. Something like coming-of-age through death is cliched. Something like coming-of-age through analogy with a fish is innovative.

As ssj_goku said, you can take on the persona of anyone. If you write in the first person you can apply emotions and thoughts to your text which can add more depth to your story than one in third person. Writing in second person is a bit quirky and different, which can be nice for creative pieces.

I would write the general gist of a few stories down - just jot them down in point form or in a brainstorm-type thing. Develop your introduction + conclusion - maybe think of alternate endings or 'twist' conclusions (preferably not cliched ones like 'and then I woke up').

iH

Oldie
HSC
you know my tips SS...but for everyone else...

just try and be creative, avoid teen drug/pregnancy stories

make sure the change is obvious and substancial not 'now that i'm 18 i can go to the pub'...

dunno if there are any more. i've done really well writing a story and scattering poetry through it but i'm a poet so i don't know if that'd work for everyone but originality counts

slyball

I used that once because we only had 5 seconds left to finish off :p hope they don't ask for short story

Last edited:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Oh... but I think that's a great way to end a story!! ;) :D >_>
Originally posted by slyball
I used that once because we only had 5 seconds left to finish off :p hope they don't ask for short story
yeah, imagine u wrote that, when you had to write a feature article. :D

*10#

Just a warning

Don't try and b 2 creative, original or different because if u dont answer the question u will bomb out.

In my trial i tried to b creative and give a really weird interpretation of change and i gor 7 outa 20. ( it was justified )

my link to change was really vague and actually quite stupid.
now im not saying to necessarily write about cliched shit ( although ppl who wrote bout cancer, death, teen r/ships etc did betta than me )
but maybe its better to stick to something safe 0 because if u go out on a limb like i did the branch might not be strong enough to stop u crashing to the ground

(wow what a nice metaphor - i really do need to get out more )

s2ophie

HSC
you can always try writing form two different persona's ie the same person but looking at an event when they were say 5 and now they are 30. If your not careful that become cliched but i did it in my trial and got 14.5/15

Nupil

HSC
N/A
But as opposed to the idea as such - if it has some merit ... the markers are at base concerned with how well you actually write.

Like s2ophie did - it's a different style of writing that most wouldn't have had ... and they want to see sophisticated responses that show a strong command of the english language - technically what seperates a standard student from an advanced student (which is horse trollops in my opinion ...) and want to see that you've got an idea of change that is not superficial, like everyone else is saying.

At least, that's my understanding so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)