Whats the difference between a theme and a value? (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
i heard the distinction is sumthing like a value is a good thing, a theme is like a criticism ..

note: i know what a theme is defined as and i know rougly what a value is.. i dunno how to differentiate them and why they are separated ...

it'd be better if u can tell me in relation to chaucer's pardoner's tale, or a simple plan or spirited away or ondaatje's in the skin of a lion or Sitch's frontline or Shakespeares tempest.. coz these are the texts i've done..

Last edited:

AkaiHanabi

Thread killer
HSC
Well a theme is a topic addressed in the text, for example Looking for Alibrandi deals with the issues of adolescence, peer pressure, and cultural identity. These aren't necessarily criticisms. The value that the text shows are multiculturalism, responsibility etc. (I think, I haven't read it in a while)

kooltrainer

HSC
So whats the difference, i still dun get it... U can also put multiculturalism under "themes" .... ..... instead of "values"

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
So whats the difference, i still dun get it... U can also put multiculturalism under "themes" .... ..... instead of "values"
I'm going to repost something i wrote which helped another student on these community forums.

Originally Posted by mathslover
hey hey, i need to know what the difference is between a value and a theme.. in particular relation to emma and clueless.

would things such as consumerism and popularity be considered as themes as well as values, or just values? any help will be appreicated thankyou : ]

'Themes' is a term that should not be used in the HSC context (if you can avoid it) because it has been covered in English syllabuses from as early as stage 4 and 5 (junior high school ie Year 7-10). Essentially about half the state use it in their hsc responses because it has been ingrained in their psyche, and normally is not as sophisticated/overused compared to other synonyms ie 'issues' and 'ideas'.

Unfortunately in the HSC context, buzzwords now prevail and impression can contribute significantly to the marks that are awarded.

'Values and attitudes' are probably the most reliable term/s that should be employed because it contributes to a holistic vision. Values is something that is 'valued' by for eg the Regency era society in Emma including economic stability and classism.

Attitudes is just the 'attitude' of society towards such values for eg arrogance (initially in the protagonist of Emma Woodhouse) and condescension (the gentry's view of the yeomanry). When values and attitudes are combined, we get a complete sense of that society.

In Heckerling's context consumerism and popularity (probably not the strongest terms, although a cogent argument would defeat that) are both 'values' of society and themes. I believe using the dichotomy of universal vs. context-specific values might benefit you most though.

Hope that makes it clear. I noticed you used 'themes' in an essay i helped proofread for you in the past http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=160694, although i did not comment on this specifically because i believe your techniques needed the most working on.

However, as the impression mark (esp for borderline responses) can come down to your expression, fulfilling the syllabus dotpoint of "organise, develop and express ideas using language appropriate to audience, purpose and form" should also be considered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)