English, the Murderer. (1 Viewer)

Just.Snaz

HSC
English is emptying me of emotion. Real emotions and feelings have been replaced by certain ways that I must think, to merely achieve in life. I’m analysing and speculating the emotions apparent in texts that I do not feel. It’s causing me to become this unnatural being with no opportunity for power to achieve determined results, but rather forces me to follow someone else in my natural desire to succeed.

It’s teaching me emotions, telling me how to feel, what is right to feel, why I feel it and what causes me to feel it. It defines aspects of life, which in essence, have no definition but rather interpretation. And even then do they make me study the many interpretations, forcing me to see things I do not naturally see for myself, that I do not want to see for myself and committing even a greater sin against the very purpose of the study.

When will they realise that it is only through the beauty of embrace, rather than scrutinity, that such values (they force us to study) can exist? The more time we take to overanalyse these natural occurrences of life, the deeper we dig their graves, the more life we lose.

This world imposes beliefs on us even in its attempts to support the discovery of our own. Its petty reasoning to ‘broaden our understanding’ restricts it only to finite thoughts that we must incorporate as our own.

And only with the abhorrent power of English have I been able to communicate this. And so now, because I have overanalysed the injustice that English holds towards life that this very perspective will go to waste just like everything else that has experienced the merciless scrutiny of English.

English, you sicken me.

Try not to take this too seriously. I was bored studying English :eek:

If you wish to bite my head off, please do so in a well structured, logical argument.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
lol. i actually love english. but nice post. :)

Boxes

Banned
HSC
ahaha, yep, i agree. this is a typical situation in my english class:

teacher: "adam, what's the composer trying to say about the ability of journeys to influence change?"

me: "well, blah blah blah blah"

teacher: "Ahhh, I think what you're trying to say is blah blah blah blah (something completely different to what i was actually trying to say)".

:)

-tal-

HSC
Agree. I long ago learnt that English was about twisting the "truth" and backing it up.

Good post btw.

Just.Snaz

HSC
Thanks guys.. but no disagreements? Highly doubt that a 17 year old can find absolute fault in the HSC English course.

There must be some sort of rebuttal.. right? :uhoh:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Just.Snaz said:
English is emptying me of emotion. Real emotions and feelings have been replaced by certain ways that I must think, to merely achieve in life. I’m analysing and speculating the emotions apparent in texts that I do not feel. It’s causing me to become this unnatural being with no opportunity for power to achieve determined results, but rather forces me to follow someone else in my natural desire to succeed.

It’s teaching me emotions, telling me how to feel, what is right to feel, why I feel it and what causes me to feel it. It defines aspects of life, which in essence, have no definition but rather interpretation. And even then do they make me study the many interpretations, forcing me to see things I do not naturally see for myself, that I do not want to see for myself and committing even a greater sin against the very purpose of the study.

When will they realise that it is only through the beauty of embrace, rather than scrutinity, that such values (they force us to study) can exist? The more time we take to overanalyse these natural occurrences of life, the deeper we dig their graves, the more life we lose.

This world imposes beliefs on us even in its attempts to support the discovery of our own. Its petty reasoning to ‘broaden our understanding’ restricts it only to finite thoughts that we must incorporate as our own.

And only with the abhorrent power of English have I been able to communicate this. And so now, because I have overanalysed the injustice that English holds towards life that this very perspective will go to waste just like everything else that has experienced the merciless scrutiny of English.

English, you sicken me.

Try not to take this too seriously. I was bored studying English :eek:

If you wish to bite my head off, please do so in a well structured, logical argument.
There you go, you have got a Band 6 essay sitting right in front of you.

sirfeathers

HSC
No I totally agree...I actually liked English once upon a time, but the HSC experience has left me totally jaded.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
English is more than just being taught what to think, it teaches you how to think in such a manner that it allows you look at the world and compose your own judgements. If english "sickens" you then what are your feelings towards subjects such as math and science, where every question has a designated answer and there can be no one way or another; its just one unmalleable path of useless information that is either just right or just wrong - there's just one correct answer for everything; that's sickening, dreary and bleak.

English empowers you to write what you believe and simply there is a wide range of responses allocated to each question; I can understand where you stand but it's at the wrong place; you need to look at english and see the leeway it has. Yes you are taught certain things from other things, but that is only the foundation of ideas and from that you either refute or validate it as your own opinion.

Every comment you made about english has been inappropiatly investigated; those are the reasons why english is valued and I am passionate about.

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
i-love-maynard said:
nice avatar! :) *drools* jesss
Thank you Thank you; I am trying dearly to promote reading and I heard sexism helps to some extent!

Just.Snaz

HSC
NEVAGIVEUP said:
English is more than just being taught what to think, it teaches you how to think in such a manner that it allows you look at the world and compose your own judgements.
Doesn't everyone NATURALLY have their own judgements? English is not the reason for people's judgements. It can shape people's judgements, but that comes from education as a whole, not just English.

And teaches me how to think? That's almost like constructing me. It's not letting me develop naturally. Instead, it turns me into this fabricated being with all these "taught" ways of thinking. Where's my individuality? Where's my freedom of thought? Is it fair to say that I am 'natural' when I am being taught how to think? To customise the very essence of my being?

If english "sickens" you then what are your feelings towards subjects such as math and science, where every question has a designated answer and there can be no one way or another; its just one unmalleable path of useless information that is either just right or just wrong - there's just one correct answer for everything; that's sickening, dreary and bleak.
On the contrary. Maths and science are subjects based on fact. Agree? Hence, there is only one way, and one way only. There is no thought or opinion to fact. Fact is objective. Science and maths are fact. And why do you say that maths and science are useless? I think you, yourself can find fault in that statement.

English is about opinions. The very way you describe a simple concept can change its meaning substantially though various literal techniques. But the meaning is changed only because of humanity. Meaning was made by us. Now English is enforcing meanings upon us.

For example, juxtaposition. We come across this technique in our every day lives. Naturally, we can compare the similarities and differences of various happenings, and understand the value of the change or lack of change between them. But English has now labelled something we naturally do. We must read a text, and not only take in its general meaning, but overanlayse and label the techniques the author has utilised to convey the general meaning. But when we’ve dug deep into its depiction, it steals from it the natural beauty of only just embracing it.

Another example, watching a movie. Is it as enjoyable when you’ve overanalysed every film shot, the colour tones, the characterisation, the plot, the setting, and so forth?

English empowers you to write what you believe and simply there is a wide range of responses allocated to each question; I can understand where you stand but it's at the wrong place; you need to look at english and see the leeway it has. Yes you are taught certain things from other things, but that is only the foundation of ideas and from that you either refute or validate it as your own opinion.
My argument is about the overanalysis of simple concepts in life, as we do in English and thus the resulting lack of meaning in these natural ocurrences. Yet another example, a joke. It will be laughed at when first said; but will lose its essence when analysed and explained.

I also find no leeway in HSC English. If I had argued that journeys were terrible, useless and a waste of time, and that they had no significance in our lives, I can't see myself recieving a band 6.

And what if the author of a poem used 'humour' that I did not find funny? What if I had no interpretation of 'The Tragedy of King Lear'? What if, to me, it was simply a form of entertainment and nothing more?

Every comment you made about english has been inappropiatly investigated; those are the reasons why english is valued and I am passionate about.
I respect your opinion, but I cannot gree because I believe HSC English does not play the role you have defined.

Ps: thank you for posting a reply :D

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
Just.Snaz said:
Doesn't everyone NATURALLY have their own judgements? English is not the reason for people's judgements.
Oh i do not denote all human understanding to english. It is though, a lesson, just like any other for example math; as we are younger we are taught the basics of addition subtraction and so on, only to grow older and develop greater skills on this foundation of knowledge. It is this that i am saying, english is the principal foundation; learning to read,write, respond,be critical and so forth - it is just a beginning and an essential one

Just.Snaz said:
And teaches me how to think? That's almost like constructing me. It's not letting me develop naturally. Instead, it turns me into this fabricated being with all these "taught" ways of thinking. Where's my individuality? Where's my freedom of thought? Is it fair to say that I am 'natural' when I am being taught how to think? To customise the very essence of my being?
Lol, don't you think that's a bit exaggerated? English is not a cult; the key word is how not what think; we are taught to look at many perspectives of an argument and never bias; we are taught not be manipulated by society's greatest power such as media, we are taught to be open-minded and write what we believe amongst many other things. Can you walk into a math exam and write 1 +1 = 7? No, however, you can walk into an english exam and write yes or no to an essay question. It is only english that accentuates your individuality and it is not a customisation of the essence of your being but rather expanding your knowledge as to enhance

Just.Snaz said:
On the contrary. Maths and science are subjects based on fact. Agree? Hence, there is only one way, and one way only. There is no thought or opinion to fact. Fact is objective. Science and maths are fact. And why do you say that maths and science are useless? I think you, yourself can find fault in that statement.
Fine, i only said that because i utterly condemn and loath maths with a passion, but hey facts? You just contradict all that you have said; it is these preconceived facts that strip you away from your individuality and idiosyncracy only to "customise the very essence of [your] being"; not only do these subject teach how to think but what to think, when to think, why to think it gets bloody tedious! Furthermore, in comparison to english these subjects are useless (i must say there is bias in that statement)

Just.Snaz said:
English is about opinions. The very way you describe a simple concept can change its meaning substantially though various literal techniques. But the meaning is changed only because of humanity. Meaning was made by us. Now English is enforcing meanings upon us.
Just.Snaz said:
For example, juxtaposition. We come across this technique in our every day lives. Naturally, we can compare the similarities and differences of various happenings, and understand the value of the change or lack of change between them. But English has now labelled something we naturally do. We must read a text, and not only take in its general meaning, but overanlayse and label the techniques the author has utilised to convey the general meaning. But when we’ve dug deep into its depiction, it steals from it the natural beauty of only just embracing it.
No No No, it is only once we analyse that the real beauty of each text can be clarified! We are not over-analysing, we just reading what the author has decided not to mention, to let the audience pick it up themself and appreciate the novel. Why do we learn textual intergrity? I despised Cloudstreet when i first read, only to be entranced by it and love it once i analysed it and saw it for more than just a 400 page book; it allows to look at the perspective of the author and enter his mindset

Just.Snaz said:
Another example, watching a movie. Is it as enjoyable when you’ve overanalysed every film shot, the colour tones, the characterisation, the plot, the setting, and so forth?.
Yes, i must say it has become natural for me to analyse movies and it does not hinder the enjoyment of the movie at all.

Just.Snaz said:
I also find no leeway in HSC English. If I had argued that journeys were terrible, useless and a waste of time, and that they had no significance in our lives, I can't see myself recieving a band 6.
Yes, i do agree with this point 100%; HSC is a set of pre-prepared essays with the manipulation of the question whilst in the exam. We are never really given a challenge or preparation for the greater english world. It is a vehement disappointment!

Just.Snaz said:
And what if the author of a poem used 'humour' that I did not find funny? What if I had no interpretation of 'The Tragedy of King Lear'? What if, to me, it was simply a form of entertainment and nothing more?
Well, that's fine, there is no force on you to find that humerous, there were many instances where i did not find supposed humour funny. Once again, 'The Tragedy of King Lear', if it is this that you have deciphered, even though it is a very superficial analysis, than it is you believe. Go and read critic reviews on many books and movies, you'll wide array of responses, as some may have despised the novel and seen it as shallow others may have loved it - it all comes donw to you!

Just.Snaz said:
I respect your opinion, but I cannot gree because I believe HSC English does not play the role you have defined.
Oh yes i entirely agree to this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)