Should I drop? (1 Viewer)

bluesoleli

HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, I didn't know exactly where to put this thread.

Anyway, I am not sure if I should drop english advanced at the moment. I am a C / B- range student for english advanced and I was recommended by my english teacher to drop the subject because I would get a better HSC mark if I did standard english compared to if I did advanced because apparently I need at least 85 marks and above in any subject to get scaled up.
My english tutor has also told me the exact same thing and to give english advanced the boot and go back to standard because I would do better in standard.

Last year when I signed up for english advanced I was warned by my teachers it wasn't for me because of my crappy band 4 for english in the school certificate, but I still wanted to do it, in which I am now crap at.

I've already dropped extension maths and only doing 2 unit advanced maths, so I don't know if dropping english advanced will put my hsc marks into some trouble?

Apart from english and maths, I do 6 units of science subjects [physics, biology & enviromental science] (which I am really good at) and also an economics which I am OK at I guess. I want to do a career in environmental science in the future, which doesn't require any form of english, just sciences and at least a general maths.

So should I drop english advanced or continue on?

Thanks.

ratcher0071

HSC
bluesoleli said:

Anyway, I am not sure if I should drop english advanced at the moment. I am a C / B- range student for english advanced and I was recommended by my english teacher to drop the subject because I would get a better HSC mark if I did standard english compared to if I did advanced because apparently I need at least 85 marks and above in any subject to get scaled up.
My english tutor has also told me the exact same thing and to give english advanced the boot and go back to standard because I would do better in standard.

Last year when I signed up for english advanced I was warned by my teachers it wasn't for me because of my crappy band 4 for english in the school certificate, but I still wanted to do it, in which I am now crap at.

I've already dropped extension maths and only doing 2 unit advanced maths, so I don't know if dropping english advanced will put my hsc marks into some trouble?

Apart from english and maths, I do 6 units of science subjects [physics, biology & enviromental science] (which I am really good at) and also an economics which I am OK at I guess. I want to do a career in environmental science in the future, which doesn't require any form of english, just sciences and at least a general maths.

Thanks.
Since your future career is in environmental science, who cares about English. If you feel comfortable in dropping down into standard then do it. :)

cs01001

HSC
bluesoleli said:

Thanks.
Hey,

I was in your situation last year, having started the Prelim year with a staggering 33% on a 'Change' assement task, giving me a cumulative ranking of 95/108 in the Mid Year report. With such bad ranking that is beyond help, it kinda demotivated me, so I kinda adopted this 'uncaring' attitude as I see no hope in doing English anymore, so the ranking kept free falling/ increased slighly when it came to the end of Year 11. Never have I dropped so badly in English, and I believe the school was about to sent me those "Drop to Standard" letters, but somehow I never received it.

Anyway, I sought help from a proper English tutor, in case you are wondering it is 'Bobness' on Boredofstudies. You might be able to find his thread under the tutoring section. In those 9 months under his guidance, Bob lead me to some unique insight into the class texts, and improved my crappy writing style significantly as reflected in some of my teacher's feedback. You of course need to keep writing practice essays and submit to class teacher for marking to identify your flaws in your writings and address them.

Long story short .... I ended Year 12 with a pretty decent ranking. Although it is not top top ranking, it just shows you that determination combined with constant practice with teacher feedbacks will improve your work significantly.

On a personal note, if I were you, I would stay in Advanced and get help from a proper tutor. Bear in mind if you do drop to Standard, it will be comparatively harder for you to achieve the top Bands of 5 & 6, due to the generally lower calibre of the students undertaking the Standard course. But of course, if you are able to get a high ranking in Standard, that will also be fine. Speaking from personal experience (Dropping from 3u maths to 2u), dropping to a less challenging course might give you a head start at the beginning, but your uncompetitive surrounding environemnt will tend to wear down your motivation level, as you lose the 'drive' improve. Also, many Unis give bonus UAI points for B5/B6 performance in Advanced English, but that's just a really minor thing to consider. If you feel dropping to Standard allows you to allocate more time for other subjects, then by all means, drop it quick and don't waste time.

I am not trying to persuade you either way, but I hope you can make an informed decision about what is best for you. :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)