In a speech.... (1 Viewer)

Robin Hood

HSC
when your audience are a bunch of teenagers (the setting is, not literally, really there is only a teacher there) would it be appropriate to use slang/informal terms to describe things? i know my teacher wants us to but does possibly offensive terms like 'gay' going too far? Or would it fit in nicely?

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Lol we recently had to do a speech for Romeo and Juliet for english advanced. And one girl struggled making her essay into a speech. So she said stuff like 'usually studying shakespeare pisses me off...' to try and make it more informal and personal - our teacher was not impressed. Teacher said that it is bad to use colloquial language and you can make it personal by asking rhetorical questions and adding anecdotes. I would not talk in slang if I were you. There isn't anything wrong with the word homosexual. Good luck.

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

swathard

HSC
yeah, it's better if you write formally for all speeches, regardless of the audience. and yes, rhetoric and anecdotes are important features of a speech that add a sense of audience into your speech anyway - just make sure that the rhetorical quesitons or anecdotes you use are appropriate to your audience and purpose.

GOOD LUCK.

HSC
You don't need to write formally, but you should write with an erudite audience in mind. Informal =/= unsophisticated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)