1984 (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
me!

wat are u using as your supplementary texts?

Lee

wag the dog is good but aparently lots of people are using it so i might change it. then i have anewspaper article from smh, and a wiz of id cartoon...i need to find a song or poem/...what about yo?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
ooh i see
yeah i heard bout wag the dog

im doing Star Wars (the original) some newspaper visual cartoon and im still looking for a good 3rd one if required

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
Isnt Wag the Dog for telling the truth?
Thats what my teacher suggested.

And if not, how does it relate to 1984?

Lee

could be, it doesnt matter.

it's related through the methodsof powerpley. like higher powers can makwe up the truth. in 1984 changeing the past, in wtd creating a war. a few other things too. like invasion of privacy ith tv/telescreen in both etc....

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
Is 1984 your central text? What module for? I used it as suplimentry for changing worlds, i didnt realise it was a set text. I have been told never use a set text even if its from another module or even from standard, then the markers think your teacher just gave it too you.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah its the prescribed text for Module B: Representation and Text - Powerplay

hehe, im using Star Wars from changing worlds as my supplementary text for this module
If u can write something excellent and the text u choose is relevant, it shouldnt matter whether its a prescribed text from another module/area of study

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
have u watched it before?
it has a lot of examples of thepowerplay between people, the ultimate desire of power by some, and the quest for power for different reasons

hmm, ill illustrate
Darth Vader a.k.a Big Brother
The Death Star a.k.a Thought police
etc

angel_kate

1984 supp. material

I found that Augusto Pinoche was a good guy to do. Also, Executive Outcomes is good. The Dalai Lama, from Tibet is related aswell.
good luck!!

Lee

Originally posted by MinAi
have u watched it before?
it has a lot of examples of thepowerplay between people, the ultimate desire of power by some, and the quest for power for different reasons

hmm, ill illustrate
Darth Vader a.k.a Big Brother
The Death Star a.k.a Thought police
etc
wjhat about methods of powerplay?how does that relate?. and how is rthe death start like thought police?. it deosn't have any family/individual/high and higher powers involved does it? i haven't seen it for a while but i can only see a few links....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
well im not saying its the BEST text to use, but im using it simply because I can draw the links...and anyway, are all your texts 100% similar to Nineteen Eighty-Four? Star Wars is related, but not exactly like the prescribed text
some of my links are...the rebellion of Julia and Winston agaisnt the Party and the Rebellion of Luke and Leia against the Empire.....there is a definite hierachy of power within the Empire...eg Grand Moff Tarking -- Darth Vader -- regional governors -- officers -- stormtroopers.....Darth vader is similar to big brother or O'brien, as Darth Vader has ultimate power over people lower than himself, with the ability to destory individuals that rebel against the Empire, similar to O'Brien's destruction of Winston's sanity after he rebelled against the Party.... the Death Star is similar to the Thought Police in that to enforce their power over the galaxy, they use the object of fear to keep individual planets in line, as they risk their planet being destroyed by the Death Star....family powers? i didnt see that as relevant in 1984 anyway.....ok the ending doesnt exactly match the ending of 1984, but does it have to?
all that matter is that u can clearly relate your chosen text to your prescribed text and the module u are studying

Lee

well obviously i haven;'t seen it fro a while, but it sounds like you have under wraps so to speak. only thing to be wary of is you can't make up little things in it or distort the fact becasue there is a huge chance that the marker will have seen it:)

and family powers isn't big, but the thing with parsons and his kids - jus omehting our teacher is alwasy reminding us about, not to forget.

and yeah,t eh ending doesn't have to be the same. in fact it will be good fro a question something like power can not reside in individuals rebelling aginst higher powers or something along those lines. it will be good to disprove:)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah im trying to be careful of that
im only talking about things I can relate to 1984/powerplay, as I think my teacher said, anything irrelevant will be disregarded by the marker, and therefore u wouldve wasted ur time writing it

and wat does that parsons/kids thing realli mean? i didnt realli look into it that much

hehe, yes i kinda like arguing against a question....but i usually dont have enough evidence to support myself :(

.stressed.

CONFUSED

hey
someone on this post said that module b was comparative texts.. my skools module b is 'critical study of texts' and our elective is a film.. and its 'citizan kane'
ok im confused cos someone said its julius caesar and i know its in powerplay, but isnt powerplay module c.. plzzzz someone needs to reply cos im really worried
ps. how did your AOS trials go? mine were ok :)
anywayz, plz id really like to get an answer b4 wednesday
thanks
pss. for powerplay my skools doin julius caesar for focus text, wag the dog for supp, 1984 for supp, and hitler for supp material as well..

Lee

well from our school the parsons thing islike the reversal of family roles. the kids have greater power over their paretns becasue society rewards them for doing so. it is another method of powerplay by BB. using family afgainst family. aslo comes with that idea of "duty to the party" of having children. more methods of powersplay involved in the banning of the pleasure in a sexual act. thats just briefly. if i ever write notes up, i'll post them up here, but chances are i won't get around to it!:)

angel_kate

the parson's kids are paralleled to the nazi youth movement in WW2 cos they were trained to listen in on conversations and, generally, just spy on everyone. They went tot he extent of dobbing in their own parents and neighbours. Very interesting if u read up on that time (Kristallnacht, nuremberg rallies etc)
Good Luck!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Lee
well from our school the parsons thing islike the reversal of family roles. the kids have greater power over their paretns becasue society rewards them for doing so. it is another method of powerplay by BB. using family afgainst family. aslo comes with that idea of "duty to the party" of having children. more methods of powersplay involved in the banning of the pleasure in a sexual act. thats just briefly. if i ever write notes up, i'll post them up here, but chances are i won't get around to it!:)
ah i understand
yeh i didnt think of it from that perspective
hopefully u will post them notes...coz 1984 is the module ive done the least notes on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)