Powerplay- Julius Caesar (1 Viewer)

ice_cream

would anyone have related texts for this topic?
because i'm so lost when it comes to finding related texts...and my teacher's not giving much...
so if anyone have any...can i read them?
thanx...in advance

Nelly

I did Moulin Rouge, and "A Time for Choosing" by Ronald Reagan, they are both really good texts.

KilledInAction

How did you use Moulin Rouge to relate to powerplay? I'm not implying its wrong by any means, just curious as to the line of argument you took...

Or is it stupidly obvious...'cause I've yet to see the film.:D

Nelly

There is a scene in Moulin Rouge where the big boss guy tries to keep Satine from leaving, and he uses rhetoric and other devices. The camera techniques are perfect to crap on about as well. It's a really good film to use

ice_cream

what's "a time for choosing" about?
btw...how many related texts are we expected to know...cos my teacher said 4...and i thought it's a bit too much.......

Nelly

Ha, 4, no way, I only know those two.

"A time for choosing" is very similar to Brutus' speech, so you can integrate them really well. If you search for it on the net, you should be able to find it.

Nelly

I THINK, (mind you i last revised this week 7 term 1)

- rhetorical questions
- rhetoric
- Giving two hyperbolised (??) statements "The Excellent Freedom, or the craphole of totalitarianism" etc.
- Attaching positive and negative words to concepts, (as above)

I think thats it. But anyway, try Moulin Rouge as well, that works well.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I used "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier and some newspaper article about America being the next Roman Empire.

T

timbk2

i did this last year. some of my powerplay notes are on the site. i think i have stuff on brutus' speech.

a good text to use is Animal Farm. compare Napolean and Snowball with Caesar and Brutus.

ice_cream

hmm...animal farm...is it really boring?
how long is it?
and what's the storyline of it?

T

timbk2

go to spark notes and look through the story line.... its a book we learnt in like year 8 . but its one of the best for powerplay.

its about talkin animals who overrule the farmer and take over the farm. (yes .. talking animals) ... anyway.. theres a pig... Napolean.. who is like a dictator.... an (evil) one. and theres snowball.... this other top pig... . and they battle for leadership through speeches and deciet and crap like that. powerplay.

T

timbk2

i read the book like 5 years ago... so i didnt bother reading it again for the hsc.... i just got a study guide off the net... and read that. (for the lazy people) . i suggest u read it or hire the video (shit arse cartoon).

but my way worked. just get like quotes from the web or something

ice_cream

but i heard that animal farm is really boring though...and i just found out that you're supposed to know at least 3 related texts in the hsc....is that supposed to be true?

T

timbk2

you wouldnt have the time to write about 3 texts .

yyou only have 40minutes . you have to write the main section on caesar and then write about your other texts. if u do manage to fit them in, they wont be in depth enough.

you should "know" at least 3.
but they will only make you choose 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)