Speeches and Rhetorical Questions (1 Viewer)

fartman

HSC
is it a good idea to use rhetorical questions in a speech? why/ why not?
because apparently a teacher said its not a good idea unless they're really good

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Rhetorical questions can be great to use in a speech. Just don't make them the only thing that defines the text type as a speech.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
A rhetorical question is very useful in seperating key ideas. It can provide interest, and involvement into the speech (which is the main objective). Always use them, but also make your paragraphs fairly short, and concise as opposed to what is normally expected within an essay. Use words that are inclusive, such as "we" and "Our"

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Rhetorical questions are awesome for use in speeches. The main thing about speeches is that your not just preaching something, you need to connect with the audience, make it relevant, involve them, and you can do that through rhetorical questions. Don't base your speech around it, but throw in a few here and there. Some might be just a passing thing but others might be reflective, like if you ended your speech with it. You could have funny rhetorical questions or serious ones that make the audience contemplate the issues your talking about but overall, rhetorical questions are definitely a yes.

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
is it a good idea to use rhetorical questions in a speech? why/ why not?
because apparently a teacher said its not a good idea unless they're really good
YES! It engages the audience ~ and it also provides them a means of coming up with an answer and realising the purpose of your speech. Just make sure the rhetorical question is an emphasis on the speech eg. when making a speech about the conflicts of IR (industrial relations affecting HRM (human resource management) ~ you can ask -> how many of you understand the impact of IR manifestations in accordance to HRM? You can follow this with your own opinion such as ~ not many of you will as IR manifestations are kept under the rug to prevent an outbreak of other covert and overt actions seized by employees of other working industries.

Also make sure when you're asking a rhetorical question that your facial expression is one of professionalism -> no smirking unless its suppose to be funny. Plus try to remember your speech off by heart and have direct eye contact with everyone in the room ~ trust me when I say you gain a few extra marks. I always get in the 90s for my speeches because I remember my speech off by heart, engage audience with hand actions and direct eye contact, clear focus point on the speech (ie. the purpose of my speech was executed and addressed efficiently and effectively), and the occasional rhetorical questions for my audience to reflect and readdress the issues I've mentioned within my speech. Plus it is crucial that you address your speeches formally and try to avoid any colloquial languages.

Galladrim

HSC
Yes, so long as you avoid patronising your audience in doing so. They are a great way to make them actively engage and follow with what you are saying, making it much more of a conversation rather than a dull monologue.

fartman

HSC
Thanks for all the help everyone! btw the speech we are doing is a "formal speech" so should I address the audience and if so, how? just a "good morning teachers and fellow students?"

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the help everyone! btw the speech we are doing is a "formal speech" so should I address the audience and if so, how? just a "good morning teachers and fellow students?"
"Good morning..." is such as terrible way to start a speech. It's so boring. You can address the audience without resorting to things like this. Second person is good to use, as in 'you can see how this affects...'. Or inclusiveness, 'We know that...' etc.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
If its a formal speech, do not start with "good morning"!! Good morning is an awful way to start a speech. Truly terrible. Maybe start with a quote or just a quirky, catchy statement or even just a statistic. Also, if your speaking to your class, don't introduce yourself. They know who you are already. Its tedious otherwise. And I agree with Absolutezero in using second person. You trying to win people over in a speech so saying "I" all the time gives you less credit.

fartman

HSC
okk sweet, i know exactly how im gonna start mine then :D thanks again everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)