How to memorise your Essays (1 Viewer)

springkse

HSC
Firstly you need to have a clear mind,
- you can meditate or pray

Its going to take some time to memorise a 1000 word essay, in my case 1200.
So be ready to not go out and procrastinate but stay in a unfamiliar room(in my case in my older sister's room when she went overseas) and on a chair and your back straight up and put your essay hard copy and slant in on an angle so you can read without holding it or just hold it with your hands if you become ceebs.

Ok first of all read out loud, don't memorise the essay fully in one go but by paragraph by paragraph and sentence by sentence until you memorised all of your essay

Then finalise it by reading out loud 2 paragraphs together 3, 4... so on

Then its basically memories, read it out LOUD , helps you memorise better, scientifically proven.

Took me atleast 3-4 hours for 1 essay sometimes 2

BTW don't try memorising in the library, too many distractions, be by yourself,

study by yourself, be a loner... don't get a girl friend, don't think of a girl that you had a crush on for 2 years lol

ok well thats what i did 2011 HSC'er 90/100 for english adv

springkse

HSC
True but I found out that this is the most effective way, for me and some others.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I just rewrite my essays a few times...I find writing something out and recitation works best for me.

jamesfirst

HSC
What I did was:

1. Write the first line.
2. Go back and write it again, then write the second line.
3. Go back and start from the start til you finish your third line.
4. Repeat this until you finish your first paragrapgh.
5. Go to the next paragraph and repeat steps 1-4

My tutor told me to do this and it works. I still remember my essay even when I did the English exam 2-3 months ago. I ended up getting 85 (but 88 HSC mark) despite the fact that I was 35/64 in ranking (which is basically band 4 level)...

loaves

HSC
Basically - coloured highlighters. (If you're lucky enough to have a visual memory.)

Also, make sure you're actually writing your own essays... if you're casually plagiarising bits and pieces from everywhere, it'll be a lot harder to recall in the exam.

HSC
Uni Grad
Basically for me:

1. Highlight key words, ideas and evidence from the essay.
2. Say the introduction to self.
3. Recall and repeat what you stated before.
4. Do this for body paragraphs, repeat step 2 and 3.
5. Try writing the intro down until you memorized it all, and then paragraph 1, 2, 3 etc.

mike12345678

HSC
hey guuys,

what essays did you actually write? could someone please give me a break down on the esays they wrote for each module please?

thanx

fakermaker

HSC
I feel that memorizing essays is a bad way to approach any exam.

You never know what the question is going to ask, so route learning is a really bad habit to get into. You can save a lot of time and effort by just memorizing concepts and ideas and applying them to the examination question. The time you spend learning to memorize can easily be applied to learning how to communicate your ideas in an efficient manner.

SanjoyM

HSC
Doesn't the BOS strictly recommend that students do not memorise and regurgitate essays?
I mean, the questions are composed in such a manner that the memorised essays are sometimes not suitable!!
That's what I have heard! For example, Module B this year!! There was an unexpected twist in the question.
However, it is possible to memorise important techniques and quotes, and some possible topic and linking sentences.
I achieved a 19/20 for my Yearlys and I NEVER memorised my essays! I memorised the techs, quotes, and concepts.
I allowed the question to shape my response, and most importantly I PLANNED my response!
Nevertheless, if some people favour memorising essays, then memorise it, but mould it as per the question:)

HSC
Uni Grad
For those who don't like the idea of memorizing ideas, think about it this way. Many people are simply not capable of producing a response that is 800 words with very good quality and speed. Besides, those who are able to think on their feet properly and write with speed are the ones who can win, which is unfair for those who don't possess those abilities. For many people, if they want to do well, they have to memorize their essay (not word for word), tailor it to the question and keep linking to the question wherever they can do so.

I'm not talented at English at all, but I was smart on what I memorized. I memorized my module C and belonging essays, got me 15/20 and 14/15 respectively. The ones I wrote up on scratch were module A and module B, got me 15 and 11.5/20 respectively (module B was shitty this year, and I had to write off scratch anyway). So what I'm saying is that for many people, memorizing essays is perhaps the only way to go if they want to reach at least 17/20.

The bare minimum into doing well in English is memorizing: quotes, techniques. Understanding the analysis is important too, and shaping it to the question is the main factor.

Bobbo1

HSC
For those who don't like the idea of memorizing ideas, think about it this way. Many people are simply not capable of producing a response that is 800 words with very good quality and speed. Besides, those who are able to think on their feet properly and write with speed are the ones who can win, which is unfair for those who don't possess those abilities. For many people, if they want to do well, they have to memorize their essay (not word for word), tailor it to the question and keep linking to the question wherever they can do so.

I'm not talented at English at all, but I was smart on what I memorized. I memorized my module C and belonging essays, got me 15/20 and 14/15 respectively. The ones I wrote up on scratch were module A and module B, got me 15 and 11.5/20 respectively (module B was shitty this year, and I had to write off scratch anyway). So what I'm saying is that for many people, memorizing essays is perhaps the only way to go if they want to reach at least 17/20.

The bare minimum into doing well in English is memorizing: quotes, techniques. Understanding the analysis is important too, and shaping it to the question is the main factor.
Agreed, I don't see anything wrong in memorizing and then linking it back to the question <--which is very important. The HSC English course and testing itself forces people to do this and no one can blame them...

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
For example, Module B this year!! There was an unexpected twist in the question.
Yes, it was unexpected. My entire essay was based on the first half of the play. I only knew one phrase from the last Act that wasn't in the given excerpt. But then I figured I could talk about 'progression' e.g. how the fact that the ending was so different from the first half of the play/how Hamlet changed so much, the fact that he died, etc. showed a lot about what Shakespeare was trying to say about humanity/some bullshit. I still got 18/20 with only quotes from the first half and quotes from the excerpt given :/ (I applied for raw marks). So as long as you master adaptation, it's easy enough :D

+1. I find it hard to think up amazingly worded phrases on the spot (I tend to ramble if I'm making it up) and since I'm a perfectionist, I'd waste time mulling over the best adjective to use or something P: Instead I tend to prepare longer essays so I can cut out whatever would be completely irrelevant, and make sure the ideas are general enough to actually change them to suit the question... + memorise quotes in case I did need to make it up.

Just for the record, I got 98 in the HSC for English Adv. P:

HSC
Uni Grad
+1. I find it hard to think up amazingly worded phrases on the spot (I tend to ramble if I'm making it up) and since I'm a perfectionist, I'd waste time mulling over the best adjective to use or something P: Instead I tend to prepare longer essays so I can cut out whatever would be completely irrelevant, and make sure the ideas are general enough to actually change them to suit the question... + memorise quotes in case I did need to make it up.

Just for the record, I got 98 in the HSC for English Adv. P:
Well there we go, another technique where you memorize lots of sections and do trimming and adding new things on the actual essay that you write on the day. I tried that strategy, it worked out quite okay though, especially for my frankenrunner essay. I did bomb out on my module B though, coz I forgot to provide quotes from the excerpt of the speech, so essentially I wasn't completely answering the question.

Mrmellow

HSC
Urgent help required! How would you memorise a ~1100 word essay in an hour? Thanks

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Urgent help required! How would you memorise a ~1100 word essay in an hour? Thanks
Just sit down and speak a line , then re-read it till you can remember it & and read the next line read it till you can remember it and then say the first line again. If you dont remember re-start or you can also try writing instead of reading it after each line. But yeh I read, and this way I had finished 4 essays in 6 hrs ~ 4500 words total and I still remember them from when I remembered like 3-4 weeks ago till now, not completely but half of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)