Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Crobat's Guide To HSC English Advanced.

HSC

Re: Crobat's Guide To HSC English Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by QZP View Post
    I think this is what many lost english students, including myself, needed to get back on track. Thank you!
    Very glad I could help!

HSC

that-makes-me-moist.jpg

My reaction to this thread.

Thank you
    Crobat and hawkrider like this.
    can u not

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    that-makes-me-moist.jpg

My reaction to this thread.

Thank you
    died omg

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

just rote
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

bro. crobat, dafuq. didnt know u were an english god. that rank 1 internal. mirin. mirin hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Being View Post
    I apply my snaking skills into LoL, which is the basis of my success.
    There's no better snake than Teemo.
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by obliviousninja View Post
    bro. crobat, dafuq. didnt know u were an english god. that rank 1 internal. mirin. mirin hard.
    i had 2 thank you very much

but seriously though, god is a strong word

i just found a few things that made the subject easier to work around

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by hawkrider View Post
    Are you aware of LIJ?
    I am

HSC

HSC

God bless you
    HSC 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraken View Post
    i am not moist

Bachelor of Law/ Bachelor of International Studies @ Macquarie University (GLEP Program)

:{)

HSC

Crobat A beast in english and pokemon as well +1

HSC

HSC
    N/A

> "clear and concise about your response, no waffling at all"
    > "The only person I have ever known to have that ability was a legitimate genius (came to the theory of calculus in his Year 8 science assignment, 100 and 1st in the state at Year 11 for 2u Maths, 99.95er, 100 on his UMAT, and a lot more just in his high school years alone, also part of MENSA) now studying a triple degree (B Adv Arts (Honours)/B Surgery/B Medicine) at USYD with a HD average in every part of his degree, multiple first places in subjects, and a likely university medalist."

>Doesn't take own advice
    >2/10, would criticise again.

but for serious, this is a great job.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutezero View Post
    > "clear and concise about your response, no waffling at all"
    > "The only person I have ever known to have that ability was a legitimate genius (came to the theory of calculus in his Year 8 science assignment, 100 and 1st in the state at Year 11 for 2u Maths, 99.95er, 100 on his UMAT, and a lot more just in his high school years alone, also part of MENSA) now studying a triple degree (B Adv Arts (Honours)/B Surgery/B Medicine) at USYD with a HD average in every part of his degree, multiple first places in subjects, and a likely university medalist."

>Doesn't take own advice
    >2/10, would criticise again.

but for serious, this is a great job.
    the teacher never takes their own advice

but for serious, thank you <3

HSC

Last edited by Axio; 16 Aug 2014 at 11:34 AM.

HSC

Ily to the moon and back
    Aim: 48 ATAR @ Bankstown TAFE

Studies of Religion | Adv. English | Chemistry | Physics | Maths Ext.

HSC

atar aim 90+
    that is all

adv english
    2u math
    senior science
    legal
    business
    pdhpe

HSC
    Uni Grad

Another bump for such a well-thought out and well-written guide

HSC

Welp, HSC season is nigh.

Giving this a bump for those of you needed a bit of a boost.

HSC

THIS IS AMAZiNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HSC

WIll definitely USE TO HELP ME IN 2015
    astroman likes this.

HSC
    N/A

Excellent guide Crobat! Just wanted to drop by and provide my input regarding some sections you discussed.

First and foremost - I feel like you made the assertion that you feel more secure with memorising essays as opposed to remembering your quotes + techniques for examinations, then I strongly disagree with that. At the end of the day, it's about what works for you, so some do work better with writing on the spot to their advantage. Something that may surprise a lot of people here is that in my opinion, you're putting even more stress of yourself if you try to pound 4 essays + 1 creative (memorising this is okay) in your head, because the brain cannot contain that much information; so I reckon it's feasible to know your text extremely well through understanding the core themes, rather than placing heaps of pressure on yourself. But of course, study how you feel will get the marks.

And this leads to my next point, about Module B. If I recall correctly Crobat, you had a post where you argued that should prepare a generic essay for, let's say Hamlet. In my opinion, this isn't the smartest idea as to how to revise for this play. The fact that Shakespeare's greatest production of all time is so enormously complex, and that the BoS can specify a theme, character, scene, or even textual form - reveals that having a memorised essay can really constrain your flexibility if it's only based on 3 themes in particular, hence you will have trouble adapting. I reckon it's more plausible to just remember key points (or even paragraphs if you're dedicated) to ensure you won't get flustered on the exam day.

In terms of seeking the feedback of your cohort, do you mean like everyone, or just those students who actually can provide genuine feedback? For me, I believe the latter is more appropriate. Seriously, would you rather ask someone who isn't as well-versed in English to give input on your potential band 6 script or ask someone who is a top student that is on the same level as you, thus making it clearer as to what you should change? To be honest, it's probably better to seek feedback from your friends who know their shit, ensuring what they articulate makes sense.

That's all I have to say. Other than that, great job!
    astroman and buckskinbrumby like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaan View Post
    You know you're out of it when you try to unlock your front door using your opal card

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by teridax View Post
    Excellent guide Crobat! Just wanted to drop by and provide my input regarding some sections you discussed.

First and foremost - I feel like you made the assertion that you feel more secure with memorising essays as opposed to remembering your quotes + techniques for examinations, then I strongly disagree with that. At the end of the day, it's about what works for you, so some do work better with writing on the spot to their advantage. Something that may surprise a lot of people here is that in my opinion, you're putting even more stress of yourself if you try to pound 4 essays + 1 creative (memorising this is okay) in your head, because the brain cannot contain that much information; so I reckon it's feasible to know your text extremely well through understanding the core themes, rather than placing heaps of pressure on yourself. But of course, study how you feel will get the marks.

And this leads to my next point, about Module B. If I recall correctly Crobat, you had a post where you argued that should prepare a generic essay for, let's say Hamlet. In my opinion, this isn't the smartest idea as to how to revise for this play. The fact that Shakespeare's greatest production of all time is so enormously complex, and that the BoS can specify a theme, character, scene, or even textual form - reveals that having a memorised essay can really constrain your flexibility if it's only based on 3 themes in particular, hence you will have trouble adapting. I reckon it's more plausible to just remember key points (or even paragraphs if you're dedicated) to ensure you won't get flustered on the exam day.

In terms of seeking the feedback of your cohort, do you mean like everyone, or just those students who actually can provide genuine feedback? For me, I believe the latter is more appropriate. Seriously, would you rather ask someone who isn't as well-versed in English to give input on your potential band 6 script or ask someone who is a top student that is on the same level as you, thus making it clearer as to what you should change? To be honest, it's probably better to seek feedback from your friends who know their shit, ensuring what they articulate makes sense.

That's all I have to say. Other than that, great job!
    I'm going to try and answer this with as much respect as possible, so please don't take any offence for any bluntness I exhibit.

1. Yes, a student's preparation style is to each their own. The reasons I posit that preparing generics is a good way of doing it is quite extensively explained in the initial post, so I won't go over it again, but with respect to the specific notion of understanding the core themes, I did suggest that throughout the constant editing process of devising a proper generic essay you will develop a solid understanding of the core themes. A large majority of the time I was writing not word for word my essays, but my understanding after having re-written and thought out the core themes in extensive detail. It was just an easier and evidently more efficient way I found to do what you are suggesting, and the other top rankers in my cohort did the same. However, if the prospect of memorising 4 essays + 1 creative is genuinely too stressful for you than loosely scaffolded ideas and understanding, then I respect that and that's your personal preference.

2. You have seemed to ignored the massive part on having the leniency of arguing against the question, which is where the majority of flexibility comes from in Module B, particularly for Hamlet. Module B being a critical study is by nature the most difficult module, but if you have studied it critically and developed your own genuine opinion on the text, then adapting by arguing against the question should be relatively easy.

3. I found that giving the weaker students copies of my work helped me develop a clearer writing style that everyone could understand. The last thing you would want is to have your essay uninterpretable so I found their input helpful in that regard.

But thank you!

HSC
    N/A

1. Thank you, that makes a lot more sense now.

2. But if you're taking the time on how to argue against the question in a situation like that, wouldn't you write a lot more for the Module B essay which in turn eats time away for the other modules you have to address?

3. Did you do this before or after trials?

HSC

Hey! I have half yearlys coming up and I have AOS exam with the Tempest as the main text for Discovery. It's the summer holidays and I want to prepare it from now by preparing a generic essays but I don't know how to do it without knowing the question. What do you suggest I do?Any advice would be very appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by Absolutezero; 6 Jan 2015 at 9:23 AM.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by MzRobinHood97 View Post
    Hey! I have half yearlys coming up and I have AOS exam with the Tempest as the main text for Discovery. It's the summer holidays and I want to prepare it from now by preparing a generic essays but I don't know how to do it without knowing the question. What do you suggest I do?Any advice would be very appreciated

Thanks
    I personally wouldn't prepare a generic essay for the area of study because it is very broad and your generic essay will end up to be extremely long. Have you worked well with generic essays in the past?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information