Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree239Likes

Thread: Crobat's Guide To HSC English Advanced.

HSC

Re: Crobat's Guide To HSC English Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrye View Post
    I personally wouldn't prepare a generic essay for the area of study because it is very broad and your generic essay will end up to be extremely long. Have you worked well with generic essays in the past?
    No actually, this is the first time I'm attempting it. Is it a good idea? I dont know how to prepare

HSC

I'm thinking of memorising the discovery rubric so that I will be able to formulate theses more clearly in exam conditions.
    I don't memorise essays but I remember some ideas I think are deep/useful, however I want to prepare myself to make things up on the spot in case I get a curveball question. Thoughts on this?

Magniloquent Member strawberrye's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by matchalolz View Post
    I'm thinking of memorising the discovery rubric so that I will be able to formulate theses more clearly in exam conditions.
    I don't memorise essays but I remember some ideas I think are deep/useful, however I want to prepare myself to make things up on the spot in case I get a curveball question. Thoughts on this?
    You won't really get a curveball question, there really isn't curveball questions as such in English, it is all a matter of deconstructing the question and thinking calmly and deeply about how your textual analysis relates to the question.
    buckskinbrumby likes this.

HSC

Nice thread

but

englis is gey lel
    "I have crippling depression" -Mahatma Gandhi
    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumi View Post
    lol

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by teridax View Post
    1. Thank you, that makes a lot more sense now.

2. But if you're taking the time on how to argue against the question in a situation like that, wouldn't you write a lot more for the Module B essay which in turn eats time away for the other modules you have to address?

3. Did you do this before or after trials?
    2. It absolutely did, but i approached it last because Mods A and C were pretty clear cut easy questions and so my adaptation of my generic fit in quite well and easily (which saved me about 20 minutes extra to spend on the Mod B essay).

3. Before the trials (before most of the assessments tbh)

Quote Originally Posted by MzRobinHood97 View Post
    Hey! I have half yearlys coming up and I have AOS exam with the Tempest as the main text for Discovery. It's the summer holidays and I want to prepare it from now by preparing a generic essays but I don't know how to do it without knowing the question. What do you suggest I do?Any advice would be very appreciated

Thanks
    Start by deconstructing the rubric and having a close look at the syllabus just to get an idea of what you are going to be asked to study in detail. I believe strawberrye has already done that for you here: Discovery Guide (kudos to strawberrye)

From here I'd essentially just have a go at writing paragraphs for the key themes/concpets within Discovery. It won't be anywhere near perfect right now, but it'll give you a bit of a headstart before school resumes. I strongly recommend you wait until you study it in detail with your class before you attempt to have any full-length generic essay written out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruros View Post
    I know you said you didn't read your texts but how did you find good quotes then? Did you search up key quotes to analyse them yourself or something?
    Online resources my friend - Schmoop, Sparknotes, HSC Online, BoS Resources and notes from our teacher in class.

Quote Originally Posted by matchalolz View Post
    It's a sensible way to go about English in general. Like strawberrye said though, there's no such thing as a "curveball" question since the question is quite literally staring at you in the face everytime you read the module's syllabus. Essentially, if you have prepared properly using your planned method you shouldn't come across any question you can't answer and would therefore consider to be a "curveball".

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Ruros View Post
    I think I get you, so you went on the internet to find quotes with analysis but then went away to use those quotes but make your own analysis?
    Oops sorry, haven't had stable access to the net lately.

But yes, that's actually 100% what I did (and I also skipped to random pages to scan for good quotes but that was less fruitful for obvious reasons )

HSC

Thanks Crobat!!! Hopefully this will help me destroy Discovery the old fashioned way

HSC

Bump!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrotsticks View Post
    cos I'm thirsty af always
    +1 BoS went to a whole new level of stupid.

HSC

Bump

HSC
    N/A

Does anyone have a compilation of all the resources in rar? Mediafire doesn't allow for folder download anymore.

HSC
    Uni Grad

bump

HSC

bumpity bump

HSC

BUMP - 19 days until Paper 1.

HSC

Thanks for this, this is great. One question though, Module C is pretty different for 2015, particularly the module of People and Landscapes. We've been instructed to in fact take a thematic approach to the essays; the themes are broad though, they're just about humanity's response to travel and how we are affected by landscapes. Would you recommend a structure the same as Module A, but just with Core text + related instead of 2 core texts, and much less focus on context? Thanks.

HSC
    Uni Grad

BUMP

HSC

bump!

HSC

Go bump bump bump
    subjects:
    - english advanced
    - mathematics
    - mathematics ext 1
    - chemistry
    - biology
    - ancient history
    - sor1

atar: 97
    goal: bachelor of advanced science

HSC

Do you wanna tutor me hahah?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crobat View Post
    Hello fellow BoSers!

So recently I've been getting flooded with emails from people asking to buy my materials and give essay marking feedback/exam advice but I've been too busy to give anything comprehensive and quite lazy to attach everything to individual emails so I've decided to just give all the advice I can in one megapost, and give out materials here for free too (if I can figure out how MediaFire works anyway). A disclaimer that some of the advice you will find questionable and others you will might outright disagree with. I welcome discussion of anything I say in the comments below, and also I am happy for other users to give any further advice I have missed there too. This advice is simply what I lived by and used to achieve a mark of 96 in English Advanced and 49 in Extension One English during my HSC year.

A bit about me - I graduated 1st in English Advanced and 1st in Extension English One from a 20-30 ranking Selective School and a recipient of the "Macquarie University Partner School Award for Academic Excellence in English." I used to also tutor English with my highest improved student having moved from an average of 6-8/20 to 16+/20 within 3 months at a high ranking Private school. All of my HSC students last year received a Band 6. I am now studying a Bachelor of Business/Bachelor of Laws at UTS.

Let me make it clear that while I am giving out my materials for free, I do not endorse or give permission for using my material in any sale for your own benefit in any circumstance. If you do, I will refer you to a Moderator who will take care of the situation.

I'll structure by starting out with general tips and then honing in mainly on exam techniques. I will not go into detail what each Module expects from you, you will do so in class numerous times and even if not, there are an illimitable amount of resources on the internet to provide that information to you. I will, however, provide general tips on how you can write a response to the Module essays, including mostly what concepts you should keep in mind.

The post itself is too long so I will break it down into sections that are pasted in the comments below. A table of contents:

1. General Tips and Advice
    2. Essay Writing - How to structure it. What to include. Should or shouldn't I memorise?
    3. Exam Techniques
    a. Paper 1 – Section 1
    b. Paper 1 – Section 2
    c. Essay Responses
    i. Belonging
    ii. Module A
    iii. Module B
    iv. Module C

By the end of this guide I hope to have answered a number of questions you may have had regarding the subject, and possibly even set your mind straight about how to approach this subject regardless of whether or not you enjoy it.

All the best in your studies, and I hope you get as much out of English Advanced as you can.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Crobat View Post
    Module C

A good way to structure you body paragraphs would be to use 2 discussion points, 4 paragraphs - 1 on each text for each discussion point.
    I have a question regarding the structuring of an essay for module C. As mentioned above you can focus 2 paragraphs for each text, but my teacher emphasises that we should not be balancing both texts on a 50/50 basis but rather 70/30, which means 2 body paragraphs for each text would not work for that composition. What should I be doing and do HSC markers really care that much about how much you talk about each text?
    2017 HSC: English Adv - Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - Chemistry - Physics
    2018: UNSW Commerce / Computer Science

Offering tutoring for 2U and 3U Maths around North Shore area, PM me for details.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Sp3ctre View Post
    I have a question regarding the structuring of an essay for module C. As mentioned above you can focus 2 paragraphs for each text, but my teacher emphasises that we should not be balancing both texts on a 50/50 basis but rather 70/30, which means 2 body paragraphs for each text would not work for that composition. What should I be doing and do HSC markers really care that much about how much you talk about each text?
    I don't think Crobat uses the forum anymore. Definitely DO NOT do 70/30. At max do 60/40 but 70/30 is way too unbalanced. I'd recommend 50/50
    Sp3ctre likes this.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy my books/notes cheaply here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uni Course: Actuarial Studies and Statistics at MQ -- PM me if you have questions

2017 HSC Subjects: Eng Adv / 3u+4u Maths / Bio /Phys
    ATAR: 99.75

Cadet
    HSC

bump ^^^^^^^^^

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information