What technique is this? (1 Viewer)

swagmeister

HSC
Struggling with the techniques for these two quotes, can someone plz help?

1. “They believed, in short, that they held in their steady hands the candle that would light the world”

2. “So their self-denial, their purposefulness, their suspicion of all vain pursuits, their hard-handed justice, were altogether perfect instruments for the conquest of this space so antagonistic to man”

harrypotterfan

HSC
1) symbolism, hyperbole, metaphor.... or use all three :p "XXXX hyerbolically represents the YYYYY through the metaphor "QUOTE", which symbolically..."

2) accumulation, anaphora (not so much). Accumulation is the main one really

swagmeister

HSC
1) symbolism, hyperbole, metaphor.... or use all three :p "XXXX hyerbolically represents the YYYYY through the metaphor "QUOTE", which symbolically..."

2) accumulation, anaphora (not so much). Accumulation is the main one really
Thanks so much! PS loved your English guide, I'm actually starting to enjoy the subject now. I guess I need to continue to practice and practice drumming out techniques from quotes.

When you prepared with quotes and techniques, did you just list the quote and technique or the affect as well?

Last edited:

Tink

HSC
2. “So their self-denial, their purposefulness, their suspicion of all vain pursuits, their hard-handed justice, were altogether perfect instruments for the conquest of this space so antagonistic to man”
Asyndeton if you want to get fancy, yo.

iStudent

HSC
Both sentences uses connotations, diction and objective correlative (which is a fancy way of saying connotations). There 3 techniques you can apply to almost any sentence. I think I overused these 3 in my s1 belonging though ahhahaha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)