How much film/literary techniques is necessary to use for high marks? (1 Viewer)

MrKay

HSC
I often see that in english essay guides, film techniques are often not mentioned in the guide, with only literary techniques being shown. Seeing as how some of us unfortunately have at least one of our modules having a film as a prescribed text, we'll therefore need to analyze film techniques but the thing is I have no idea how to integrate "quotes" from a film into my essay.

When I want to refer to a specific scene, do I just simply state something vague like, "in this scene in the documentary, we can see people talking" or would I have to refer to the relevant script lines in that scene? Also, regarding film techniques how much would we need to use? My english teacher has vehemently emphasized that in advance, we need to use a combination of techniques in one scene in order to effectively capture meaning, but I'm wondering if hsc markers even care about this and if one film technique is enough?

Also, I have the same question when referring to written texts. I've heard conflicting opinions that one quote is enough, you need more than one technique (from my english teacher), and as such I'm perplexed by this. Is it enough to only use one technique and analyze it or find multiple in a quote?

ps. thank you in advance, I know it's a lot of questions :)

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
- Don't be vague. Regardless of whatever you're writing, being vague makes your argument look superficial. Your aim is to provide a profound analysis, outlining exactly what you're aiming to argue and using specific examples to back up why you believe so is so.

- I believe your teacher is right. When you analyse a scene, you have to look at multiple aspects (which is why I always found analysing films to be harder). Plus, the more "evidence"/film techniques you provide, the more detailed and profound your analysis. (Your essay won't come off as depthless). It shows the marker you actually know what's going on (assuming you use it correctly).

- From my experience, one technique one quote is (1T1Q) is the bare minimum. Most of the stronger essays I've read are 2T1Q. Stick to 1T1Q is that's more suitable to you.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree completely with the above-but I would also like to remind you to not get too bogged down whether it is one or multiple techniques per quote because your main priority should be always to put answering the question to the best of your ability at the fore front of everything you do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)