Techniques in this passage. (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
‘’O curse of marriage, That we can call these delicate creatures ours And not their appetites! I had rather be a toad And live upon the vapor of a dungeon Than keep a corner in the thing I love’’

Help please, thanks <3

Orwell

HSC
By the way, I see visual imagery but nothing else tbh.

kashkow

HSC
‘’O curse of marriage, That we can call these delicate creatures ours And not their appetites! I had rather be a toad And live upon the vapor of a dungeon Than keep a corner in the thing I love’’

Help please, thanks <3
'O curse of marriage' - generalisation, assumption or stereotype (not sure if these are real techniques)

'these delicate creatures' is this referring to their children? - metaphor

'And not their appetites!' - humour

'I had rather be a toad' - hyperbolic language (exaggeration)

'Than keep a corner' - Comparison

I'm sorry I'm not too sure about all these techniques and I'm sorta guessing for some (so I wouldn't put all your eggs in this basket here); Imagery is definitely there and a good one.

Oi. Is this Hamlet?? (the toad living in a dungeon reminds me of hamlet)

ml125

HSC
Oi. Is this Hamlet?? (the toad living in a dungeon reminds me of hamlet)
Pretty sure this is Othello :3

---

I think it would be best to first introduce it by looking at the soliloquy as a whole - then go into specific detail with the quote, as this would count as a dramatic technique. Depending on the argument you're looking to portray, could possibly expand upon how it shows the extent of Iago's influence on Othello.

'these delicate creatures' - 'delicate' highlights perception of the fragility of femininity; 'creatures' - metaphor, develops a sense of isolation between men and women in marriage, shows how Othello begins to belittle the value of the institution of marriage - his doubts
'and not their appetites!' - contrast between earlier notion of ownership, punctuation (exclamation mark) denotes tone - disbelief, builds upon his mistrust
'toad' - animal imagery, could connect this to earlier parts of the soliloquy - willingness to degrade himself for love
'keep a corner' - metaphor, dictating ownership of Desdemona, him wanting to keep her to himself - emphasises ideal of relationships

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)