Tips for memorising essays? (1 Viewer)

tlv6554

HSC
Because I cant think of anything smart off the top of my head does anyone have any tips for memorising 4 essays and a short story because its looking pretty impossible to me so far :)

chiefpasco

HSC
My tip: Don't.

It's almost impossible to memorize an entire essay. However, it's not hard to memorize a good thesis and supporting arguments. Essay plans are better preps than rewriting entire essays. As for the short story, keep a loose idea at the back of your head with a couple of characters and good, good smilies and you will be fine.

MrKay

HSC
My tip: Don't.

It's almost impossible to memorize an entire essay. However, it's not hard to memorize a good thesis and supporting arguments. Essay plans are better preps than rewriting entire essays. As for the short story, keep a loose idea at the back of your head with a couple of characters and good, good smilies and you will be fine.
Memorising your whole essay is not impossible and is in fact very useful; in the sense that you learn to ADAPT your essay to the question and changing things around to suit it, and not just writing it out word for word as you practiced it. As for essay plans, it really depends on your adaptability but IMO with the amount of pressure and stress I feel when i'm in an exam and I first look at the question, it helps that I have a pre-written essay up my sleeve to adjust to the question. As for the short story, same principle applies but it is crucial that you change vital things such as the setting to fit your chosen stimulus.

As for tips to memorise your essay(s), this obv would depend on the amount of time you have but I recommend just keep practice writing each one out at a time word for word until you are sure you can write the whole thing out without looking at your typed essay.

Jakulore

HSC
If you find it difficult to memorise your essay, my tip would be not to attempt a full memorisation of it. I think it would help to write a practice essay that can be molded to the question you have to answer and to read through it a number of times so you memorise the general idea and a number of the points. After that, break it up into an essay plan complete with your thesis and each of the specific aspects of your PETAL structure and memorise that. That way, even if you can't mold the essay easily, you don't have to rely on the one you have memorised and have points or at least, examples, techniques and effects to back you up, or if you can apply it to the question, you have a pretty good idea of what to write. The same applies for your creative :)

This is what I did for my HSC, so it works for some but not necessarily for others. Hope this helps! ;)

Mr Sir

HSC
N/A
I tell my students that as markers it is the introduction that usually tells us about the quality of the essay and helps us consider the possible mark before the body paragraphs are read. There are of course other contributory factors but introductions should: 1/ address the question 2/ inform marker of your argument 3/ list the text9s) you are studying and the director/author /poet etc 4/ enable anyone reading it to guess your question without knowing it and 5/ show how you intend prove it ( but don't mention specific techniques) . it would be ok to say something like " ..skilful use of language /visual/poetic techniques enables responders to .... " or something like that ,

Remembering introductions would be useful because the thesis and texts and how you intend to prove it remain unchanged so you only need to change about a sentence and a half when you write from memory or thereabouts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)