English quote question (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
When writing an essay and we blend quotes into the sentence, is it mandatory to put in a technique? If we find a quote that fits our idea really well but has no technique then can we just add it in and say its impact on the audience without a technique?

Thanks for any replies

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Techniques are just ways of describing how we use language. Every sentence has techniques. If you don't include them, you're missing a big part of the analysis.

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I think what Absolutezero said applies to every essay, except maybe short quotes that mesh well with your essay.

E.G. Roderick's nervous comment that the food line is "very intimidating"

The technique is not directly mentioned, but implied to be emotional.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think what Absolutezero said applies to every essay, except maybe short quotes that mesh well with your essay.

E.G. Roderick's nervous comment that the food line is "very intimidating"

The technique is not directly mentioned, but implied to be emotional.
The use of 'very' as an intensifier reveals the increased levels of Roderick's nervousness.

ryansyed43

HSC
When writing an essay and we blend quotes into the sentence, is it mandatory to put in a technique? If we find a quote that fits our idea really well but has no technique then can we just add it in and say its impact on the audience without a technique?

Thanks for any replies
Yes u can but I'd recommend finding a technique for each quote. Or u could say 'the idea of blah blah blah is evident in this quote' etc. English has no right or wrong just make sure u justify what u argue! Hope it helps[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji106] [emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)