The Subjective Nature of English (1 Viewer)

Orwell

HSC
English is subjective - it has to be. Problem I have is that the teacher that checks my work and validates it, doesn't always end up marking it.

I can't list on my fingers how many times I've had my work checked by my Adv teacher only to get fucked by the marker.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
English is subjective - it has to be. Problem I have is that the teacher that checks my work and validates it, doesn't always end up marking it.

I can't list on my fingers how many times I've had my work checked by my Adv teacher only to get fucked by the marker.
Personally had the same problem. My English teacher always liked my draft/prepared essays to the point where he had no major issues with them.

That being said, although English has a subjective element when it comes to internal assessments, I feel a strong essay will always be a strong essay (even if there's a difference between 17/20, 18/20, 19/20 and 20/20, it's still a 17+/20).

You'll need a different pair of eyes besides your teacher's. Could be a tutor. Could be comparing to top essays.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The interpretation of language is a subjective process, because it is informed by different contexts as well as our own personal values and experiences. As Atwood, a famous novelist acknowledged, 'language is a slippery medium'-and as a part of that, we have to try to mould that medium to maximise our marks within the NSW education system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)