Motivation for English (1 Viewer)

StudyMaster101

HSC
I'm creating this thread because I am not motivated for English, unlike my other subjects, Maths Ext 1, Biology, Chemistry and SOR II which I would prefer to do instead of English. I have a test in three days on 'As you like it' the Shakespeare text and I realised that I have used all my time doing other stuff instead of English. I am creating this thread in the hopes that others who have dealt with this, may share their experiences, so that others, including myself, can benefit from their advice.

:mad3:

sida1049

HSC
English is just something you have to do, whether you like it or not. It arguably has the largest influence on your ATAR, and therefore arguably the most important subject.

- You know what you want: a reasonably high enough ATAR to get into a course that you (might) enjoy, so you can get into a career that you (might) enjoy which pays for your living.

- You know what you have to do: put up with English for two years, like the rest of your peers.

- You know the alternative: getting into a course you don't enjoy, ending up in a job that you may absolutely hate waking up for every day in the morning, or wasting many more years of your life to try getting into the career you want, at the cost of not only time, but additional boatload of money that your parents have to work longer and harder for.

- The conclusion: suck it up and work for English.

That was enough motivation for me to write up dozens and dozens and dozens of practice essays during my last two high school years.

My HSC essays are available here. Use them to help you develop your writing style and arguments. obviously don't plagiarise lol

Mathew587

HSC
Personally, my motivation is that:
- I HAVE TO do English and it WILL count
-Bonu$ point$
- I have the ability to state rank this if I play well
- Its also suprisingly helpful and it helps you see things that you never realised before in films, books
- helpful in making you a literate individual in society

Kezzam

HSC
with English you just gotta find some motivation and dig deep.
I do advanced English and every class I feel like skipping it because I severely dislike the teacher and Shakespeare but find a 'fun' way to study. so if your a visual learner put posters up and make colourful flashcards.
don't ignore it because you'll regret it later.
I'm struggling to find motivation to study for SOR II but I study it first then 'reward' myself with a more agreeable subject like drama or geography (for me)

just work on it and you'll get there
good luck

Kelsey

sida1049

HSC
- Its also suprisingly helpful and it helps you see things that you never realised before in films, books
- helpful in making you a literate individual in society
YES. Especially the first one. It bothers me when someone says "English has ruined this movie for me" or whatever. English empowers you by making you aware of ideas and other aspects in a film that you otherwise would miss, and by understanding the film more intimately and how the director directs you to the essence of a film, it should make you appreciate it more, not "ruin it".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)