Some advice for my creative writing (1 Viewer)

2loseyourmind4

HSC
Hi,

For one of my prelim assessments I have to write a creative writing piece that is based on the theme of journeys.

I was considering a story of a man who witnesses a girl drown, ever since then he is faced with fear of open water and guilt. He decides one day to go on a journey and overcome this fear. The water will also be a symbol for cleansing.

My teacher recommended we also include an extended metaphor in our stories. Does anyone have an idea as to what I could include as an extended metaphor as a representation for his fear of water?

I was previously considering the extended metaphor of a heavy backpack which gradually gets lighter during his journey, my teacher believes this is too complex.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

For one of my prelim assessments I have to write a creative writing piece that is based on the theme of journeys.

I was considering a story of a man who witnesses a girl drown, ever since then he is faced with fear of open water and guilt. He decides one day to go on a journey and overcome this fear. The water will also be a symbol for cleansing.

My teacher recommended we also include an extended metaphor in our stories. Does anyone have an idea as to what I could include as an extended metaphor as a representation for his fear of water?

I was previously considering the extended metaphor of a heavy backpack which gradually gets lighter during his journey, my teacher believes this is too complex.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!
Maybe see if you could tie in allusions to culture or even you could use (if you understand it), religious allusion to for instance baptism; and approach not only the pyschological but the spiritual journey (think the movie Pi for instance).

in terms of your extended metaphor,

you could set it in the country, especially if north australia and the drowning occurs in a dam. and maybe you could use the pathetic fallacy/symbolism of rain/rainy season, and having the idea of a tank filling up with water, and then overflowing...

the ideas are endless...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)