Is it too late to drop to standard? (1 Viewer)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I did bad in my speech and my half yearly and I'm sick of the way my teachers mark and everyone in my cohort can agree.
I'm in year 12 by the way, so is it too late?

Also want to drop because they say stuff like "include critical voice in AOS essay" which isn't even meant to be included. In class they said don't put a concluding sentence in the intro then in the feedback, "weaker responses had no concluding sentence in the intro", they keep contradicting and stuff so I just want to change courses

Last edited:

alexandraa

HSC
N/A
i don't think you should drop to standard TBH. In the HSC, you will still be writing same amount of essays etc, it will just be about different texts. Your teachers aren't the ones who will be marking your HSC english exam

donkily

HSC
N/A
well if you change to standard english, then you'll be behind by one module (assuming the aos text is the same for both standard and advanced) so you will need to learn the rubric, the texts, how to write an essay for that module and a related (if that module requires it)

if you do join standard though i have a feeling they'll mark in a similar way (since you need to write good essays in standard as well) so i dont think there would be a point in you changing

if i were you i would ask past recent band 6 graduates from your school for feedback for the internals and see sample essays marked by teachers

but if you dont do great (and the whole cohort doesnt) because of the way the teachers at your school mark, then i guess i wouldnt worry provided that you have a high rank compared to your cohort and everyone does really well in the externals (like getting b6s) which will boost your internals up (plz correct me if i am wrong)

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
i don't think you should drop to standard TBH. In the HSC, you will still be writing same amount of essays etc, it will just be about different texts. Your teachers aren't the ones who will be marking your HSC english exam
Yeah but my rank will be screwed up

well if you change to standard english, then you'll be behind by one module (assuming the aos text is the same for both standard and advanced) so you will need to learn the rubric, the texts, how to write an essay for that module and a related (if that module requires it)

if you do join standard though i have a feeling they'll mark in a similar way (since you need to write good essays in standard as well) so i dont think there would be a point in you changing

if i were you i would ask past recent band 6 graduates from your school for feedback for the internals and see sample essays marked by teachers

but if you dont do great (and the whole cohort doesnt) because of the way the teachers at your school mark, then i guess i wouldnt worry provided that you have a high rank compared to your cohort and everyone does really well in the externals (like getting b6s) which will boost your internals up (plz correct me if i am wrong)
I'd be behind 2 modules. Also standard was marked easier in that exam I read people's essays..

Also people did do good in the exam but only a few, but you know something's wrong when 20 of 35 people get below average...

donkily

HSC
N/A
my advice would be work together with your cohort in internals, especially the top english students

I'd be behind 2 modules. Also standard was marked easier in that exam I read people's essays..

Also people did do good in the exam but only a few, but you know something's wrong when 20 of 35 people get below average...
what the hell, you already did an aos and 2 modules? your school teaches english fast

but i wouldnt do it if i were you, you would need to catch up on a term and a half worth or work and with trials coming up in like 4 months i dont think you have the time to catch up

check with the people who did well and compare your stuff to theirs and if you think it's bs (as well as your cohort) try appealing from your teachers (if you havent)

boredsatan

HSC
I did bad in my speech and my half yearly and I'm sick of the way my teachers mark and everyone in my cohort can agree.
I'm in year 12 by the way, so is it too late?

Also want to drop because they say stuff like "include critical voice in AOS essay" which isn't even meant to be included. In class they said don't put a concluding sentence in the intro then in the feedback, "weaker responses had no concluding sentence in the intro", they keep contradicting and stuff so I just want to change courses
Don't think you can change a year 12 class at the end of term 1.

si2136

HSC
N/A
You can drop to Standard. Except you just need to be able to catch up.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
my advice would be work together with your cohort in internals, especially the top english students

what the hell, you already did an aos and 2 modules? your school teaches english fast

but i wouldnt do it if i were you, you would need to catch up on a term and a half worth or work and with trials coming up in like 4 months i dont think you have the time to catch up

check with the people who did well and compare your stuff to theirs and if you think it's bs (as well as your cohort) try appealing from your teachers (if you havent)
AOS and mod A, also it's basically impossible to argue for marks in english (at least for our school).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)